House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spot

Guitar Solo - Van Halen - Jump

I know there's a lot of guitarslingers on this site so....

My band has decided to cover Van Halens Jump. Having listened to the solo I reckon with practice I should be able to nail it but any tips would be most welcome. Any web or tab sites you can recommend?

I think the bit that's going to really cause me problems is the bit where EVH does the tapping. So any tapping tips greatly appreciated.

Tap with your middle finger, not the index finger (even though Van Halen does this) - unless you feel comfortable doing it another way. Do it slow and FEEL the connection, don't hit other strings during pull-off. You'll have to spend a while listening to every little nuance as the timing of his solos can be hard to mimic exactly. I'm not sure about tabs for it - just about to go to the gym but I'm sure somebody can get you a good one. There are BOUND to be loads, though - what about getting some of these 'Jam With' books?

It's a pretty cool one to do. Oh man, I wish I were playing in a band. I've not played for MONTHS now - imagine pulling that one off well live :)

Good luck!

If you can nail it well, that'll be an achievement. I looked at it briefly a while ago. Some of it is straight forward, but the timing on the tapping is a little weird to me. EVH seemed to tap very fluidly almost in free time, rather than triplets or sixteenths.

Post your finished version if you nail it.

I never really do much tapping so the only advice i could give is make sure you are using a guitar and amp setup that is responsive enough to allow you to tap with ease and clarity. Without much force in the tapping action, the tapped notes should ring out clearly without any muffled weak sounds. A nice low action on the strings, good hot pickups and a fair chunk of gain on the amp and the tapped notes should ring out fine without too much trouble.

BTW there are tons of vids on youtube of this solo.

Here is a good one i found

I never really do much tapping so the only advice i could give is make sure you are using a guitar and amp setup that is responsive enough to allow you to tap with ease and clarity. Without much force in the tapping action, the tapped notes should ring out clearly without any muffled weak sounds. A nice low action on the strings, good hot pickups and a fair chunk of gain on the amp and the tapped notes should ring out fine without too much trouble.

BTW there are tons of vids on youtube of this solo.

Here is a good one i found

Cheers, that's just the kind of info and vidclips i'm after.

Ta!

If you're going to do with it the Al DM PRS, you better make sure it's good!

I would go so far as to say that I'm shit at tapping. That style has never interested me in the slightest, other than when EVH does it.

Most probably i'll use the PRS but this sounds like a good excuse to wheel the others out to test which works best. :D

Had to start using a different amp a few months ago (Marshall 1974X couldn't compete with the drummer) and i'm not so keen on the PRS sound through the Vox so i've been using a Gibson ES355, not sure it'll be best for Jump though......

BB King does Van Halen! Worth the entrance fee alone.

You should hear us do "Are Friends Electric" ! :D