House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Sheffield Housing Dream Is Left In Ruins

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/barnsley/sheffield_housing_dream_is_left_in_ruins_1_3677659

Three multi-million pound housing schemes in Sheffield including the controversial redevelopment of Park Hill have been hit by a massive government funding cut.

Town Hall bosses are rethinking plans for the redevelopment of Park Hill flats, Arbourthorne Fields housing estate and the Rise S12 project after more than £20m from the Government’s Homes and Communities Agency was withdrawn.

The cuts mean:

- The council is now looking to its own depleted coffers to secure Park Hill flats and rehouse remaining tenants, having lost an expected £2.3m.

- The £135 million Rise S12 project to build 1,000 houses on the former Scowerdons, Weakland and Newstead estates in Frecheville and Hackenthorpe is in financial difficulties, after an expected £8m grant was cut.

- Residents living in 200 crumbling homes at Arbourthorne Fields will have to remain in houses for at least another five years, after £10.9m of funding was withdrawn.

The Park Hill flats should have been demolished, christ knows why it got listed.

Scowerdons, etc... these are all wood frame houses that are at the end of their useful lives and really should never have been built.

Arbourthorne Fields

Same with the Arbourthorne houses, built of wood and are at their end of life.

So the govt gives unlimited cash to the unproductive bankers yet some real investment gets ditched. This will undoubtedly be happening around the country.

Do they have some space for a tent city?

Meadowhall could come in handy in the future. When all the shops have shut because only a few people can afford to buy anything, they can lay some bedding down and open a soup kitchen in the food hall.

Wasnt this going to be one of those Urban Splash monstrosities?

You are correct young sir.

Linky

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, the old Hyde Park flats (a similar Soviet style monolithic slab of Brutalism) looks quite good in its new cladding.

5604810009_7b486f0919.jpg

But how many monolithic blocks of flats in one small area do we need?

Plus the Urban Splash version of Park Hill doesn't look anything like as good as the renewed Hyde Park.

park-hill.jpg

Looks like a cheap tart-up job by the local council.

Urban Splash’s scheme to redevelop the grade-II star listed Park Hill estate in Sheffield has been hit by a shortfall in private financing, prompting the government’s new Homes and Communities Agency to offer it emergency funding.

Sheffield City Council - which is contributing the land and buildings toward the Studio Egret West, Hawkins Brown and Grant Associates-designed project – admitted on Friday that the current market downturn has led to a shortfall in funding from the Manchester-based developer.

The local authority is now expected to approve a plan this Wednesday, whereby funding already earmarked by the HCA is brought forward for the first phase of the 874-unit redevelopment.

In a statement, the council said that without the HCA’s intervention, the project would be at risk of “considerable delay”.

Council leader Paul Scriven said: “Let’s be clear, this will cost no extra public money - it is just about rescheduling it. It’s not an ideal position to be in and one that is not of my making. We have inherited Park Hill and we have now got to try to get it to work as millions have already been spent. “

Simon Gawthorpe, Urban Splash managing director, said: “Park Hill is a fantastic scheme within a great city and Urban Splash remains committed to the project and our progress at Phase 1 is testament to this.

The news follows Urban Splash’s decision last autumn to slash its 280 workforce by 60 people.

http://m.bdonline.co.uk/news/hca-offers-urban-splash-project-emergency-funding/3134524.article

Plus the Urban Splash version of Park Hill doesn't look anything like as good as the renewed Hyde Park.

Looks like a cheap tart-up job by the local council.

It definately does.

Honestly what is this:

CA_PARK4.jpg

How much did the Reception Class at Sheffield primary school get paid for coming up with these designs?

It definately does.

Honestly what is this:

CA_PARK4.jpg

How much did the Reception Class at Sheffield primary school get paid for coming up with these designs?

£160 million for the re-cladding of this building, partially funded by the taxpayer, the council flats to be sold on for profit.

Anyone ever commented on the fact that the people who plan, design and build these places

would never live in them in a million years.

I suppose they are perfectly good enough for the working classes though.

:blink:

£160 million for the re-cladding of this building, partially funded by the taxpayer, the council flats to be sold on for profit.

£160 million spent on what, around 1000 flats?

Works out at about £160,000 per flat. A totally insane figure.

These @ssclowns shouldn't be allowed to play with anything other than Monopoly money.

These @ssclowns shouldn't be allowed to play with anything other than Monopoly money.

Don't worry Merv is already working on that bit.

What is amazing that if you try to do any work on a Grade listed building you have to use traditional methods, I want this building restored to it's grey concrete 1950's/60's best. Let people live in a bit of nostalgia.

Anyone ever commented on the fact that the people who plan, design and build these places

would never live in them in a million years.

I suppose they are perfectly good enough for the working classes though.

:blink:

I think that Goldfinger chap lived in Trellick towers. For a month or something, anyway.

Flats generally cost far more to build than houses, in a free market they would probably be confined to London and other places where high land values justify it.

I doubt Sheffield is such a place.

Flats generally cost far more to build than houses, in a free market they would probably be confined to London and other places where high land values justify it.

I doubt Sheffield is such a place.

They cost £2800 per flat back to build from scratch back in 1961...

Developments for new housing stopping is bad news. They should slash housing benefit and pour the money into construction. More houses, cheaper rents they have to pay out on housing benefits. Simples.

In the end, I guess that's the way to go.

As much as I hate it, the gubmint has no option but to stimulate - but what they're doing at the moment is propping up a financial system that refuses to share the benefits with workers. If that's the bargain, they have to ditch income tax and national insurance.

We really are through the looking glass. Have a look at this for the perversity of what's going on - unemployment benefits in the US to create 1m jobs, but no consideration of the cost to business of national insurance (I guess in the US it's state insurance):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/08/10/carney_unemployment_benefits_could_create_up_to_1_million_jobs.html

What is amazing that if you try to do any work on a Grade listed building you have to use traditional methods, I want this building restored to it's grey concrete 1950's/60's best.

I'd like to see it restored to its original component atoms.

119633-demolition-reduces-glasgow-tower-blocks-to-rubble-410x230.jpg

I'd like to see it restored to its original component atoms.

119633-demolition-reduces-glasgow-tower-blocks-to-rubble-410x230.jpg

To be honest that's what should have happened, the building has no saving graces as a design and I doubt it will ever bring in tourists looking at architecture. Wow a concrete box.