House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frankief

David Starkey Newsnight

Anybody see that!

Editor of Chav books is disgusted.

Emily was beside herself !

Caught the end of him saying something that made me think "He won't be invited on the BBC again."

What happened?

He said white kids were adopting the worst of black culture in the way they speak & act.

Chav bloke: black culture has contributed a lot to UK !

Starkey: You mean rap music?

Didn't see Newsnight and I'm no fan of rap music, but David Starkey has got to be one of the most pompous, self-important pricks on TV. I can't stand the prat. He's just controversial, not clever.

Didn't see Newsnight and I'm no fan of rap music, but David Starkey has got to be one of the most pompous, self-important pricks on TV. I can't stand the prat. He's just controversial, not clever.

Yep he is an arrogant patronising rhetorical wind bag, but at least now his career is well and truly over.

He said white kids were adopting the worst of black culture in the way they speak & act.

Chav bloke: black culture has contributed a lot to UK !

Starkey: You mean rap music?

I saw it - and Starkey's position seemed very badly thought through... I'm hesitant to say it was devoid of value - but, if there were valid points, he made them extremely badly. I was also disappointed in the other guests - or, perhaps, the presenter... as, having loused up early-on, they wouldn't let him (attempt to) explain himself later. I think the program would be considerably improved if they required guests to put their hand up and wait to be asked to speak rather than allowing "shouting out"... perhaps such techniques could be taught in schools and all debates could be considerably improved?

I saw it - and Starkey's position seemed very badly thought through... I'm hesitant to say it was devoid of value - but, if there were valid points, he made them extremely badly. I was also disappointed in the other guests - or, perhaps, the presenter... as, having loused up early-on, they wouldn't let him (attempt to) explain himself later. I think the program would be considerably improved if they required guests to put their hand up and wait to be asked to speak rather than allowing "shouting out"... perhaps such techniques could be taught in schools and all debates could be considerably improved?

He was hemmed-in. Difficult to keep your train of thought when confronted by a lefty interviewer, a liberal theorist and a black woman with an obvious vested interest.

He was totally on his own.

String him up and shoot him.

This is worse than the KKK.

Its true though. Blacks have naturally extrovert personalities, making them the most obvious leaders and idolised by whites. Its also why introverted and shy Asian culture goes unnoticed

if there were valid points, he made them extremely badly. I was also disappointed in the other guests - or, perhaps, the presenter... as, having loused up early-on, they wouldn't let him (attempt to) explain himself later.

I agree. He was never allowed to justify arguments, no sooner had he said a few words they jumped down his throat.. Unfortunately it was the wrong show for an intelligent conversation, they just wanted soundbites and cliches

I have to agree that multiculturalism has completely failed.

Err...wasn't this being talked about over a quarter of a century ago now?

I hear there's this new fella on Radio 1 who talks just like them rappers...Tim something you call him.....it'll not last long, mark my words..... :rolleyes:

I agree. He was never allowed to justify arguments, no sooner had he said a few words they jumped down his throat.. Unfortunately it was the wrong show for an intelligent conversation, they just wanted soundbites and cliches

He made no attempt whatsoever to answer Emily's original equation about whether he was saying the adoption of black culture was at the heart of the rioting.

He was allowed to talk uninterrupted for two minutes at the beginning then continually interrupted the other guests.

Emily should have told him to STFU. Poor example for any kids watching.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bAGTE_RGN4c

I hate people who berate others for talking in a different dialect as well.

Language is continually growing and changing.

If everyone had been like him people since the 5thc they'd be still talking Anglo Saxon.

Did he not make some mention to rap music though and as such, doesn't that contain a lot of violent / anti societal lines and verses which may glorify such actions?

That was in answer to Emily's second question.

When asked the first time he simply ignored it and read out some Jafaikan implying the way people talked was responsible. Snobby old buffoon.

But that's his point isn't it, this modern cultural phenomenon is growing up on our streets now and this scummy uneducated street language is how these feral rats* converse.

*Term used by a London business owner whose shop has sustained damage when this infestation came to her business property.

"This scummy uneducated street language" laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

What a horrible little snob you are.

What makes the way you talk any more valid than the way they do?

That was in answer to Emily's second question.

When asked the first time he simply ignored it and read out some Jafaikan implying the way people talked was responsible. Snobby old buffoon.

I'm sure we had this debate in the 1960's

Elder generations complaining of young men with long hair, outlandish clothes, syncretic language, casual sex, cacophonic music.

Youth will always rebel - it's part of growing up. (It's why the Chinese always waged a war against some enemy every generation - youth need to fight and if there ain't a war to fight then they'll turn on their own)

And the delicious irony is, people of Starkey's generation were the youth of the 60's !!

Not one to attempt to address the points being made I see. <_<

Standards dear boy standards.

You evidently had a comprehensive education which wasn't, good bye.

But you didn't make a point.

All you said was they talk differently, which no one denies.

"Standards dear boy standards. "

WTF does that mean?

Did he not make some mention to rap music though and as such, doesn't that contain a lot of violent / anti societal lines and verses which may glorify such actions?

Fair point made here? Aside from how Starkey expressed himself, isn't there a dominant element of aggressive posturing, addiction to consumerism, misogyny and me, me, me found throughout the rap/hip hop genres?

Fair point made here? Aside from how Starkey expressed himself, isn't there a dominant element of aggressive posturing, addiction to consumerism, misogyny and me, me, me found throughout the rap/hip hop genres?

True. You could probably add homophobia to that.

He comes across as a small minded ignorant racist.

Plain and simple.

I watched it live and after getting over the shock of what he was saying I consoled myself with the thought that he is unlikely to get called for further media appearances any time soon.

The implication was that these were particular to 'black' culture more than 'white' culture.

Funny, that, they seem pretty common features of any workplace I've been in, workplaces full of 'impressionable young people'. Very insidious this black culture.

Indeed, I would have thought that there would be a cacophony of voices on here celebrating its refreshing lack of political correctness.

isn't there a dominant element of aggressive posturing, addiction to consumerism, misogyny and me, me, me found throughout the elite classes?

fixed.

Starkey and Squeaky Michael Gove for a start.

I am Scottish and Have to put up with the foreign language and intonation of Starkey, Gove, Mandleson, John Humphries etc etc etc beamed into my house. They are entirely foreign to me. But then again, they ARE Britain, and I am just a slave.

I hope they drown. Can they arrest me for saying that on the internet these days?