House Price Crash Forum
dothemaths

Gilt Yields Are Signalling A Depression

Wake up. its only just begun. ;)

What's begun? Seems to me this is evidence that the base rate can stay down low for ages.

We had the second highest deficit to GDP ratio, eclipsed only by Greece. And yet our bonds pay piddly amounts of interest and they are getting snapped up.

Someone explain to me again why Quantitative Easing makes gilts look more attractive?

Someone explain to me again why Quantitative Easing makes gilts look more attractive?

They shouldn't, it's nonsensical. We're in an illusion that can't last.

it doesn't; demographics make gilts look more attractive

We had the second highest deficit to GDP ratio, eclipsed only by Greece. And yet our bonds pay piddly amounts of interest and they are getting snapped up.

By the BoE...

What's begun? Seems to me this is evidence that the base rate can stay down low for ages.

Don't understand that either.

Perhaps QE means more buyers for the bonds. More buyers pushes the price up and the yield down?

Or one very keen buyer with a money printing machine

That's what i meant. Didn't they virtually buy all the bonds last year (together with the nationalised banks). This would leave little left for others, therefore pushing the price up.

Banks have to keep more gilts as capital now.

Borrow money at 0.5% and even if the yield is only 2.5% it's still a free 2% to them courtesy of us generous taxpayers.

Then based on this miraculously achieved profit and that from the margin between not so low mortgages but very low saving rates, the bankers pay themselves millions in bonuses - lots of it from taxpayer backed banks.

It's legalised theft.

Banks have to keep more gilts as capital now.

Borrow money at 0.5% and even if the yield is only 2.5% it's still a free 2% to them courtesy of us generous taxpayers.

Then based on this miraculously achieved profit and that from the margin between not so low mortgages but very low saving rates, the bankers pay themselves millions in bonuses - lots of it from taxpayer backed banks.

It's legalised theft.

Oof. I feel robbed.

So why doesn't the government borrow it's money from the bank of England at 0.5% instead?

0.5% is the overnight rate. Governments usually borrow with longer terms in mind..

Linky

Recession....depression........What comes after depression?

Cause thats whats coming

Oppression.

Followed by a bloody good session.

Edited by Fishman