House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

inflating

Parked Car With A3 Sheets In Window With Barcode Dots

Am abroad at the moment, noticed a parked car nearby and in 3 of its windows it has an A3 sheet of paper with barcode dots on it - the sort you sometimes see if checking in at an airport or buying an e-ticket using a SMS text message. Huge, covers the whole A3 sheet.

Any ideas? Google about to Streetview the area or some other sort of automated device going to whizz past and use it - the car is parked right at the top of an important junction, an arterial route into the city centre

Am abroad at the moment, noticed a parked car nearby and in 3 of its windows it has an A3 sheet of paper with barcode dots on it - the sort you sometimes see if checking in at an airport or buying an e-ticket using a SMS text message. Huge, covers the whole A3 sheet.

Any ideas? Google about to Streetview the area or some other sort of automated device going to whizz past and use it - the car is parked right at the top of an important junction, an arterial route into the city centre

Over 30 mins up and no lizard people conspiracy postings?

Could be a record I know

I think you may be right. Looks like an initial or delivery point for a Drone. Are you on holiday in a) Afganistan B) Pakistan or c) Croyden???

I heard RAF assets had been on standby to help the Met :-)

I hope not! They were filming a communist era movie with tanks on location here last year, but it was set in the 1960s or 1970s.

This is a 10 year old white Ford, no one's in it, initially I thought it was for sale, got up close and can see it's just big sheets of that pixel-style sort of little squares bar code.

I'm assuming it's some sort of mapping tool, but never seen it before on any car here or back in England

Can you try scanning it with a smartphone barcode reader or failing that getting a decent quality photo that someone else can scan?

No decent camera with me, might get a pic if it's still there tomorrow in the daylight

If you drive the UK you will notice random barcode signs at some major junctions perhaps its a similar system? The barcode signs are a tracking system for vehicles which has now been superceeded by GPS..

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/roadsfaq/

5.1.8. What are bar code signs for?

On some trunk routes (and former trunk routes) small signs placed parallel to the kerb are mounted after junctions. They are a disused system for accurately tracking the location of maintenance vehicles. Mark Thorne writes:

During the 1990s, the Transport Research Laboratory were carrying out trials of condition surveys of the roads using lasers, cameras etc. and they needed a simple method of locating where they were on the road network. They could measure the lengths of road by means of the equipment on the vehicle carrying out the survey, resetting the chainage (length) at known points as they drove over the 2 white dots (known as Node Points) you see at the start & end of slip roads, centre of junctions etc.

These days GPS is used to locate the survey data to a great degree of accuracy, typically to the nearest centimetre.

Atemoose, thanks. This is near a busy junction and tram line.

It's an A3 sheet on 3 windows, with this sort of barcode on it (this is not the actual one)

barcode.png

Atemoose, thanks. This is near a busy junction and tram line.

It's an A3 sheet on 3 windows, with this sort of barcode on it (this is not the actual one)

barcode.png

It's called a 3D barcode take a picture of it next time then you can scan it and it probably says something like my one.

It's called a 3D barcode take a picture of it next time then you can scan it and it probably says something like my one.

OK will try with my basic phone camera thing if it's there tomorrow in the daylight, just had another Google and can't find it on a search or images

I trust you're not being disparaging about our lacertian friends :P

imgvw.png

ISTR last time I traveled on the Eurostar my ticket looked like that. Supposed to be scanned by their entry turnstiles (ha ha). Fortunately the staff there knew better.

One day maybe they'll catch up with our domestic ticketing, and its continental equivalents, and spare us huge unwieldy tickets that randomly work/don't work.

Car still in same spot, has a foot pump on the front seat, it's not a Ford as you can see

- here's the 2 best pics I could get with my cheap camera phone. Any ideas? It's right at the top of the junction, nothing obscuring it if something was to drive along the road or tramline and read it with a scanner of some kind

Perhaps I should've checked to see if it had a puncture? Perhaps the barcode is some sort of 'broken down/police aware' message for some road authority, but the place it's parked is not afaik a restricted parking place. (The paper with the code is on the inside of the window, police aware notices I would have thought are stuck on the outside)

It is a sign in Polish selling the car.

Seriously? :)

Actually I previously wondered if it was that, but couldn't understand why they'd limit the market to just people with smartphones that can read barcodes. It's not like it's a Porsche or anything upmarket. There are a few cars for sale in that street, all good old fashioned marker pen or laser printed in plain Polish. Nice looking 1999 Mercedes up near the hypermarket for just 4800zl btw, I'm almost tempted!

Car still in same spot, has a foot pump on the front seat, it's not a Ford as you can see

- here's the 2 best pics I could get with my cheap camera phone. Any ideas? It's right at the top of the junction, nothing obscuring it if something was to drive along the road or tramline and read it with a scanner of some kind

Perhaps I should've checked to see if it had a puncture? Perhaps the barcode is some sort of 'broken down/police aware' message for some road authority, but the place it's parked is not afaik a restricted parking place. (The paper with the code is on the inside of the window, police aware notices I would have thought are stuck on the outside)

It's probably advertising something, if you scan it it will probably take you to a website.

I tried to do a screen grab, and cut away the rest of the picture and feed it into the decoder. It didn't work :( Either it needs to be taken square on in good light or buy a smartphone with a QR decoder. I tried.

I tried to do a screen grab, and cut away the rest of the picture and feed it into the decoder. It didn't work :( Either it needs to be taken square on in good light or buy a smartphone with a QR decoder. I tried.

Thanks anyway, I had another look at it tonight - has a white or creme colour gent's hat in the back, the sort "the man from Del Monte he say yes" wore. Anyway checked the codes visually, they are all different, or upside down, not sure, looks like each sheet is a different code judging by the placing of the squares forming the pattern.

Poland is brimming with technology, when I go back to the UK I feel to some extent back in the 80s at best. Of course, still some olde worlde cobbled streets and olde worlde bigoted peasant attitudes among a minority of the population, but generally the place looks and feels like the future compared to most parts of England that I'm acquainted with. One thing here I don't like, typically everyone's quite glum and stand offish