House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

How Do Repeat Prescriptions Work?

I need to have my last prescription from the Doctor repeated but I'm working atm so it's very difficult to get in to see him and seems pointless, just to ask for the same prescription. As I pay for them, I also want them to up the size of the medication so I make the most of my charge.

How does it actually work? I envisage I phone the receptionist tell them the above and they post me out a prescription, but something tells me that won't even be possible.

(Couldn't get through to docs today as it was busy every time I had a chance to call).

I have an arrangement where the chemist gets the repeat prescription from the doctor for me. It is run by boots. Just go in with your next prescription and tell them you would like to use their repeat prescription service.

I have an arrangement where the chemist gets the repeat prescription from the doctor for me. It is run by boots. Just go in with your next prescription and tell them you would like to use their repeat prescription service.

How do you set something like that up? Phone receptionist? The problem I have really is I can't even get to the Doctors.

Ours now accept email requests.

Ring and ask.

You can get it sent to chemist o just pick it up.

Suppos to be able to automate it o get them sent regularly to chemist without needing to ask again

How do you set something like that up? Phone receptionist? The problem I have really is I can't even get to the Doctors.

Just ring and ask ..

also look into prepay certificates.

Then make sure you get as much drugs as you can.

If I see the doc I might ask about something else, can you put it on same prescription and just pay one prescription charge? Is that how that works?

Just ring and ask ..

Many - if not most - surgeries won't accept phone requests. Write, email (if the practice is set up for it) or, as suggested, go via your chemist's service.

Most doctors limit you to 3 months max in one prescription & require a review appointment annually.

Many - if not most - surgeries won't accept phone requests. Write, email (if the practice is set up for it) or, as suggested, go via your chemist's service.

Most doctors limit you to 3 months max in one prescription & require a review appointment annually.

Most don't publish an email address for the practice manager - if they don't do repeats by email he's the person to implement it

Ok thanks. This is what I suspected.

Can you answer my query about sticking several medications on one prescription and only paying one prescription charge? Is that how it works? If it is I'll probably squeeze a visit in somehow.

As an aside I think the Doctors surgeries in this country are completely geared to those people who don't have to work for a living (i.e. don't pay for the service) i.e only open between the archaic hours of 9-5, not open Saturdays etc.

Ok thanks. This is what I suspected.

Can you answer my query about sticking several medications on one prescription and only paying one prescription charge? Is that how it works? If it is I'll probably squeeze a visit in somehow.

As an aside I think the Doctors surgeries in this country are completely geared to those people who don't have to work for a living (i.e. don't pay for the service) i.e only open between the archaic hours of 9-5, not open Saturdays etc.

Ask if they have early morning appointments. Ours has some from 7am but they are boooked up for weeks as I asked about them last week - the first would have been the 18th.

Each item is a sep cost but you can have several months worth of the same item as one cost.

Ask for a proper receipt each time and then if you need to buy a prepaid thing you can claim back (think only 3 mont hs of stuff) but worth a look.

They always say only a tiny % of people pay for prescriptions - don't know how they work that out though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2008/10/do_prescription_charges_make_u.html

88% are free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have to pay a prescription charge while you are waiting for your PPC, you can't get a refund unless you have an NHS receipt. The NHS receipt form is an FP57. The pharmacist or dispensing doctor can only issue an FP57 at the time you pay a prescription charge. They can't give you one later. You can claim for the refund of prescription charges up to three months after paying. The FP57 form tells you what to do.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

Ask if they have early morning appointments. Ours has some from 7am but they are boooked up for weeks as I asked about them last week - the first would have been the 18th.

Each item is a sep cost but you can have several months worth of the same item as one cost.

Ask for a proper receipt each time and then if you need to buy a prepaid thing you can claim back (think only 3 mont hs of stuff) but worth a look.

They always say only a tiny % of people pay for prescriptions - don't know how they work that out though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ges_make_u.html

88% are free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have to pay a prescription charge while you are waiting for your PPC, you can't get a refund unless you have an NHS receipt. The NHS receipt form is an FP57. The pharmacist or dispensing doctor can only issue an FP57 at the time you pay a prescription charge. They can't give you one later. You can claim for the refund of prescription charges up to three months after paying. The FP57 form tells you what to do.

http://www.nhs.uk/NH...ptioncosts.aspx

Thanks, that's worth knowing, I'll ask for one anyway. Must remember to do that, it's the sort of thing I'll get home and think "sh*t!", like when you forget milk after a shopping trip.

The criteria for free-prescriptions is basically anyone who doesn't work and gets benefits?

Thanks, that's worth knowing, I'll ask for one anyway. Must remember to do that, it's the sort of thing I'll get home and think "sh*t!", like when you forget milk after a shopping trip.

The criteria for free-prescriptions is basically anyone who doesn't work and gets benefits?

Yes thereabouts.

Covering 88% (Of prescriptions) means most people who get prescriptions are not in paid work

Elderly, unemployed and sick.

Ask the Doctor to stick it on the repeat list if they have one. If he/she does have one, then when you need a new one just call up and ask for a repeat. The Doctor gets the request and supposedly after reveiwing your records he/she will sign it and have it sent to an assigned chemist.

Works a treat - and of course if you live in a civilised country you get it for free - if you live in a 3rd world hell hole where the youth riot and rob while the gubbmermint suns itself on a beach on the Med you will unfortunately have to pay...

DoH guidelines specify that a GP can only prescribe two months worth of medication at a time. I can telephone my practice and request a repeat prescription and then pick it up from the chemist over the road. I have to make an appointment with my GP annually to review the medication that I take.

It doesn't matter how many items are on the same prescription as you'll have to pay for each item, not for each prescription.

As I work I'm not "entitled" to "free" prescriptions. However, when I'm in the chemist I'm the only idiot who pays for it. The queue of benefit claimants and elderly all get given it for free :angry:

Much like getting on the bus - I'm the only idiot who seems to pay a fare. All the elderly people sit there for free.

As I work I'm not "entitled" to "free" prescriptions. However, when I'm in the chemist I'm the only idiot who pays for it. The queue of benefit claimants and elderly all get given it for free :angry:

Much like getting on the bus - I'm the only idiot who seems to pay a fare. All the elderly people sit there for free.

Quite a lot of us who regularly 'use' have a prepay certificate. These cost quite a lot, but it means you no longer have to pay 7 quid for a packet of 6 pills. Still costs about £100 a year, so you need to do the maths up front, but if you are going through a sick spell, or need regular drugs then take a look.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2422.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=161

Went to a chemist last night who warned me of the dangers of not getting a course of antibiotics for a poisoned thumb. So reluctantly went to the doctors and after a two hour wait this morning got the prescription...bloody £8.20...the last time I got one of those it must have been a couple of quid at the most.

That will teach me for getting talked into clearing six sack loads of sludge off the roof of a block of flats using my hands and torn hide gloves..lead gulleys etc......a relative lives there. It's a pisser you can't get a roofer anymore as I was saying on another thread....all doing useful stuff like Human Geography at university.

Went to a chemist last night who warned me of the dangers of not getting a course of antibiotics for a poisoned thumb. So reluctantly went to the doctors and after a two hour wait this morning got the prescription...bloody £8.20...the last time I got one of those it must have been a couple of quid at the most.

That will teach me for getting talked into clearing six sack loads of sludge off the roof of a block of flats using my hands and torn hide gloves..lead gulleys etc......a relative lives there. It's a pisser you can't get a roofer anymore as I was saying on another thread....all doing useful stuff like Human Geography at university.

Did you go to the doctor straight away with that? When I went to the hospital to get a drill bit removed from my foot that I'd accidentally put there the doctor disappeared off and came back with a packet of antiobiotics and just gave it to me, no charge.

Did you go to the doctor straight away with that? When I went to the hospital to get a drill bit removed from my foot that I'd accidentally put there the doctor disappeared off and came back with a packet of antiobiotics and just gave it to me, no charge.

It was nothing originally, just dirt under the nail, the infection had gradually spread ...spent a morning sycthing brambles on some woodland footpaths and then the afternoon balancing on the roof of a country house that is split into flats doing the sludge clearance. My father lives there and it is self managed by the residents.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

you need to access the services below then medicines are free:

Considering your recent tax payer subsidised escapades at RBS and Tesco that sounds reasonable.

"All young people do is moan"

I have a repeat prescription. It's usually authorised for a year.

I used to have the chemist keep and manage the prescription, but this just didn't work.

On one occasion they lost the prescription, and every time it 'expired' the same 'car crash' event would occur - the chemist didn't resubmit it, because it expired. I went to the Doctor's. It was reauthorized. Yet the chemist doesn't know that. So there's still no medicine until you then go back to the Doctor's, get them to print it out, and walk to the chemists again. This part doesn't really seem to have been 'designed'.

Since the doctor and the chemist are near each other I do it myself now - pick up medicine, then immediately drop repeat to doctor, and later, pick up from doctor and repeat the cycle.

^This.

The service you get can vary. If it is next to the surgery, they might be really well staffed and organised. If not, then you could be queuing out the door as they are so busy.

Pharmacy funding has primarily came from a fee from each prescription, generally it has fluctuated from £1 to under a pound, and this I believe hasn't changed for a couple of decades. Factor in wages, rents, business rates, etc, which have gone up with inflation, then you have a financial squeeze, and the service won't be as expected. I've read somewhere that pharmacy owners want investment into the supply chain, because drugs go in and out of stock.

Have to say my surgery are excellent.

I am on the dreaded water pill and apparently will be so for the rest of my life.

I get an email every 4 weeks to request a prescription, fill it in and return it. 3 days later I pick the prescription up at the surgery.

Every six months, the prescription has a blood test form attached, I go to the local hospital and get the test done, then they inform the surgery and off we go for another 6 months.

Never see the Doctor.

If you cannot collect the prescription yourself, Lloyds Pharmacy will do so and deliver them to you.