House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Shock, Horror...."smartphones Aren't As Good At Making Calls As "older" Phones"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/8695720/Smartphones-worse-at-phone-calls-than-older-models.html

People living in rural areas should hang up their smartphones if they want to actually make phone calls, new research from communications regulator Ofcom suggests.

New models, such as Apple’s top-selling iPhone and the Samsung Galaxy S2, offer sophisticated “third-generation” (3G) technology to allow access to high speed networks, email and the internet, but the new Ofcom study found that starting and completing calls made from rural areas was better on older 2G phones. These devices, called feature phones rather than smartphones, allow more internal space for aerials.

Ofcom found that “in the more rural areas that the phones were tested, the feature/entry-level phones generally returned somewhat better performance than smartphones for call completion and call setup.”

The regulator suggested that “This may be due to the reduced complexity of antenna on these devices and 2G phones not having issues in switching between 2G and 3G networks.”

Quality of sound was found to be the same between devices, however. Ofcom carried out its research to assess whether consumers were being properly informed about mobile network coverage. It found that, while individual phone companies provided valuable network maps, just three out of every ten consumers consulted them. The regulator wants to encourage shops to inform customers about coverage when they’re buying mobile phones, and it also wants different networks to standardise their information so that consumers can compare services across providers.

Ofcom’s comparison of 2G and 3G handsets aimed to examine whether coverage maps were accurate across different devices. The regulator found that “performance differences are likely in practice to be modest, and not necessarily a factor that consumers should base their choice of phone on”.

Overall, Ofcom found that mobile networks were making progress at addressing areas of poor-coverage both in rural areas and in buildings. The regulator added, however, that there were a number of areas where commercial organisations were unlikely to be able to justify making sufficient investment to seriously improve coverage.

Pfft, I've got an older Nokia type phone costing me something like £10 a year and that's it! Camera, messaging and that's about it. Works a treat and great battery life. The suckers who buy the complex models keep people like me in the job, though.

Pfft, I've got an older Nokia type phone costing me something like £10 a year and that's it! Camera, messaging and that's about it. Works a treat and great battery life. The suckers who buy the complex models keep people like me in the job, though.

exactly , who wants to browse the web on a 3 inch wide screen anyway?

These huge phones with huge screens encourage people to leave their phones on their desks at work which (1) p*sses off people in the nearby vicinity (2) kind of negates the whole point of having a "mobile"

These huge phones with huge screens encourage people to leave their phones on their desks at work which (1) p*sses off people in the nearby vicinity (2) kind of negates the whole point of having a "mobile"

..or you go out and meet a bunch of mates, and they fart about with their sodding phones all night..

I have an old Nokia (six years old) that has no camera but is very small and light, plus the battery last for over a week. It is a mobile phone and allows me to make calls when I am mobile. It can also be dropped without shattering the screen and no one else would be seen dead using it as it is not 'cool' so it will not be stolen.

And yet, you are the Silver Surfer..!

..or you go out and meet a bunch of mates, and they fart about with their sodding phones all night..

And then one of them spots your phone and does the old "what the hell is that? It's a brick/paperweight/door stop" routine. Yawn. Yea, yea, you're the man with the thin phone, yawnorama city, you can leap buildings in a single bound blah blah

Staring into their screens all night.

It's times like this that I wish I had a smartphone, I feel a bit left out otherwise.

It's times like this that I wish I had a smartphone, I feel a bit left out otherwise.

It's time like that I want different mates! Blackberry users are generally worse than iPhone

Probably why the pub near my parents still has a bit of life to it - the mobile reception is poor to non-existent there.

What is this thread moaners anonymous?

Smart phones are great when used properly and if it gets crap reception then you bought the wrong phone. The iPhone 4 was notorious for this and it was plastered all over the net that it dropped signal when help in a certain way. Not all smart phones are the same so I find a bit ridiculous that you can tar them all with the same brush. Its like saying don't buy a car if you don't live near a petrol station because your Bugatti Veyron only does 5mpg when you can get other cars that do 70mpg.

I use my phone all the time and find its a great time killer and usefull for getting info on the move. Want to know what other films that actor on screen has been in? use the imdb app, arguing over who is right or wrong about sometihng? just google it there and then, waiting alone for someone? just play a game. Hell I even use mine as a satnav from time to time the possibilities are endless!

To top it off I just switched to a contract that is only £10 a month and gives 300 mins, 3000 texts and 1gb data a month so its not like the cost are that prohibitive. Its only if you go chasing the latest smart phone each time your current contract ends will it cost a fortune.

The phone features on this new smartphone I have are quite basic. That said the reception is a lot better than my old HTC and my mate's iPhone.

My old Sony Ericsson T610 (I think) had some nice calling features like the ability to put people into groups such as "work", "friends" etc and then at a stroke you could allow or deny the ability of those groups to call you.

Like unticking "work" at 17:30 on a Friday and turning it back on at 09:00 on a Monday.

I can find where I am, get directions, even walk along the road with an arrow pointing at where I am and get it to work as a pretty reasonable sat nav.

But useful stuff like calling features seems to have gone.