House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest_FaFa!_*

Google Maps And Databases

Greetings all,

I was thinking about posting this in a more logical place such as a IT website, but I don't know which are reliable and this placed is filled with straight talking IT bods so I thought I'd ask here.

I want to create a website with a google map incorporating data about various places which needs to be filterable. So for example I have City Name, Population, Country and I want to be able to filter by population and/or country. I can get the google map up onto a website via dreamweaver no problem and I can also create a database no probs. The problem I have is creating said filters and also knowing how to get the website to access the data and then manipulate google maps accordingly. My idea is that I would start by highlighting all the cities in the set and as filters are applied cities would disappear as they are filtered out. Or I could have the cities start as highlighted in one colour and then change the colour of the cities which match the filter. I have reasonable knowledge of SQL, but my knowledge of things such as javascript is non-existent. My knowledge of HTML is confined to what I read in the dreamweaver split screen view.

The stupid question is - is this a reasonable project for me to take on, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks for any help given.

Greetings all,

I was thinking about posting this in a more logical place such as a IT website, but I don't know which are reliable and this placed is filled with straight talking IT bods so I thought I'd ask here.

I want to create a website with a google map incorporating data about various places which needs to be filterable. So for example I have City Name, Population, Country and I want to be able to filter by population and/or country. I can get the google map up onto a website via dreamweaver no problem and I can also create a database no probs. The problem I have is creating said filters and also knowing how to get the website to access the data and then manipulate google maps accordingly. My idea is that I would start by highlighting all the cities in the set and as filters are applied cities would disappear as they are filtered out. Or I could have the cities start as highlighted in one colour and then change the colour of the cities which match the filter. I have reasonable knowledge of SQL, but my knowledge of things such as javascript is non-existent. My knowledge of HTML is confined to what I read in the dreamweaver split screen view.

The stupid question is - is this a reasonable project for me to take on, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks for any help given.

May or may not be what you're looking for, but you could use Google Documents and store your data in a Google Spreadsheet. There's an extension for this that enables you to create a Google Map based on that data, and share it. The functionality still seems basic at the moment but there is a chance it could do what you need.

Personally I think you are wasting your time.

HTML and Javascript are browser based technologies, when the user requests a page the browser sends a message to the server and the server sends a response with everything the browser needs to render the page. You can manipulate content with Javascript but what you cannot do is query a database* as that is not stored locally.

To get involved with the database side you will need to use something like PHP, that will do the data manipulation and then return what's needed.

I have no idea of you technical expertise, but given you are asking the question I'm assuming you know nothing about PHP. What you want to do is not difficult, in the same way changing a timing belt on a car is not difficult. But you need to have a fairly decent knowledge of the underlying technology in the first place other wise it will be a very frustrating experience.

* There are methods such as AJAX so that you can replicate data manipulation but you would still need something at the server end to accept the request and do the data processing.

Personally I think you are wasting your time.

HTML and Javascript are browser based technologies, when the user requests a page the browser sends a message to the server and the server sends a response with everything the browser needs to render the page. You can manipulate content with Javascript but what you cannot do is query a database* as that is not stored locally.

To get involved with the database side you will need to use something like PHP, that will do the data manipulation and then return what's needed.

I have no idea of you technical expertise, but given you are asking the question I'm assuming you know nothing about PHP. What you want to do is not difficult, in the same way changing a timing belt on a car is not difficult. But you need to have a fairly decent knowledge of the underlying technology in the first place other wise it will be a very frustrating experience.

* There are methods such as AJAX so that you can replicate data manipulation but you would still need something at the server end to accept the request and do the data processing.

You're basically talking about a Web Service. The Google Maps WSDL is what he's after I believe?

You're basically talking about a Web Service. The Google Maps WSDL is what he's after I believe?

He was talking about having a set of data which he needs to filter and then display on the map.

Unless he wants to down load all the data to the browser when the page loads he will need to get and manipulate the data somewhere. There isn't enough information to go on, but if he wanted to say have a drop down box with say population levels which a user could select, his choice for regenerating the map and plotted points would either be an AJAX call or to refresh the page and use a script on the server to do the data manipulation there.

Neither of those are a web service, they are simply mechanisms for collecting the data from the database in a reasonable fashion.