House Price Crash Forum

You've Got It All Wrong - Everyone's Happy !

penbat1

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...70&in_a_source=

"Britain has the fifth happiest population in the world, researchers have discovered.

A survey carried out across 30 nations found that almost one in three Britons is 'very happy' with the quality of life here.

Just seven per cent are disappointed with how their lives have turned out. Only those living in Australia, the US, Egypt and India are more upbeat.

Around 30,000 people were questioned in the survey by market research company GfK NOP.

It found that those in their 50s were the most downbeat, regardless of which country they were from. The most miserable population were the Hungarians.

Australia was the most cheerful nation, with 46 per cent of the population saying they were very happy.

This was followed by the Americans with 40 per cent. Britain shares the fifth happiest spot with Canada.

A separate poll, meanwhile, has named Vancouver as the world's best place to live. "

HOLA442
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...70&in_a_source=

"Britain has the fifth happiest population in the world, researchers have discovered.

A survey carried out across 30 nations found that almost one in three Britons is 'very happy' with the quality of life here.

Just seven per cent are disappointed with how their lives have turned out. Only those living in Australia, the US, Egypt and India are more upbeat.

Around 30,000 people were questioned in the survey by market research company GfK NOP.

It found that those in their 50s were the most downbeat, regardless of which country they were from. The most miserable population were the Hungarians.

Australia was the most cheerful nation, with 46 per cent of the population saying they were very happy.

This was followed by the Americans with 40 per cent. Britain shares the fifth happiest spot with Canada.

A separate poll, meanwhile, has named Vancouver as the world's best place to live. "

Shouting out what you hate at the bottom of every post is an attempt to bully other people into believing what you believe. Isn't it?

HOLA443

I am not familiar with your stance penb, so why are you so certain you know mine?

Of course the gen public are happy. They are basking atop a property bubble. What do you expect? Depression?

Why does it never occur to some that it is precisely the level of "happiness" in the general population that is the cause of contrarian concern?

HOLA444
Shouting out what you hate at the bottom of every post is an attempt to bully other people into believing what you believe. Isn't it?

Not sure how you conclude that i am "shouting". In the context of the internet, "shouting" means writing in capitals. Yes I do have a sentence in capitals but not the bit you are referring to. Anyway I am not terribly bothered if you agree with me or not.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Not sure how you conclude that i am "shouting". In the context of the internet, "shouting" means writing in capitals. Yes I do have a sentence in capitals but not the bit you are referring to. Anyway I am not terribly bothered if you agree with me or not.

Capitals, bold red type - whatever - it comes over as shouting to me. Just wondered why you feel the need to let everyone know what you hate. I didn't say whether I agreed with your various 'hates' or not. I just found it ironic that someone who clearly is interested in bullying seems to feel the need to 'shout' out their opinions. This is slightly bullying isn't it?

If you attended a meeting to consider whether your company should buy another company and the MD distributed an agenda and, at the bottom, had written in bold red type.

'I think we should definitely make an offer' - one might argue that that person was trying to bully the others into agreeing with him.

It's not a big thing - as I say, just found it mildly ironic.

HOLA447

They never do these surveys when every one is miserable do they.

4 in every 5 people under the age of 35 wishes they were dead as they cannot afford a house and are up to there necks in debt – is what they could get next year after the x-mass job losses – (all the people over the age of 35 had already killed them selves as all hope had gone)

That would not make good press

HOLA448
So 70% aren't?

I would presume that a significant number of the 70% are classified as "happy" rather than" very happy".

Anyway it may well be a flawed and simplistic survey and maybe some people are happy because they are sozzled and delirious on their G&Ts or whatever or binge-drinking, or basking in the glory, in many cases, of still huge propery gains.

HOLA449
Anyway it may well be a flawed and simplistic survey and maybe some people are ...basking in the glory, in many cases, of still huge propery gains.

It also misses the point that markets collapse from PEAKS of positive sentiment....

HOLA4410
Your link says "Manchester was the highest-ranked British city " looks like I moved to the right place ;)

Yup I am pretty happy too. Most people I know are happy. It only seems to be certain people on this board who are unhappy ... oh and the over 50s {chuckle}

Most people live for today and don't realise that a poverty-stricken retirement awaits most of them.

HOLA4411
Most people live for today and don't realise that a poverty-stricken retirement awaits most of them.

If Oil goes the way it is - only the lucky few will be able to afford to travel anyway.

Most would be more concerned about affording to eat and heat their home!

Live for 2day!

HOLA4412

You,ve fallen for negative hype.

The people I know with no savings are still going to have a property with no mortgage (retired equity release schemes therefore will provide tax free capital), might trade - down and on top of this expect inheritances (sure some equity might be for long - term care, but not all), and many others own property abroad.

On top of all this, many will sell thier business's, or continue to own but have others run them.

Lack of pensions deosnt mean a thing. Only white middle class fools (radio 4 listeners) set so much stall by 'pensions' which are just expensive, inflexible ways of saving.

If Oil goes the way it is - only the lucky few will be able to afford to travel anyway.

Most would be more concerned about affording to eat and heat their home!

Live for 2day!

Permabear alert.

Why do you guys not get it?

Oil is just a passing phase. Man adapts almost instantaneoulsy to change, once a need becomes real and pressing. As fossil fuels rise in price the alternatives will replace them. No riots. No problem. Just change.

HOLA4413
You,ve fallen for negative hype.

The people I know with no savings are still going to have a property with no mortgage (retired equity release schemes therefore will provide tax free capital), might trade - down and on top of this expect inheritances (sure some equity might be for long - term care, but not all), and many others own property abroad.

On top of all this, many will sell thier business's, or continue to own but have others run them.

Lack of pensions deosnt mean a thing. Only white middle class fools (radio 4 listeners) set so much stall by 'pensions' which are just expensive, inflexible ways of saving.

Millions expect to work past retirement age just to make ends meet: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/retirement/ar...19&in_page_id=6

Yes i agree that pensions are pointless and inflexible unless your employer contributes to them, may as well just sink some money into some index trackers for a few decades.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest Charlie The Tramp
happiness is 40k and nothing to do every year. according to research.

Quite right, the life long prudent pensioner retiring early and watching the world go by.

<_<

HOLA4417

it was on steve wrights afternoon show on radio 2 about a year ago. one of those daft studies.

which claimed the point of being jobless and happy was reached at 40k a year.

this would buy happiness in most people who didnt have a career or family.

then steve wrights character 'sid the manager' came in and it was chaos after that.

then the gay darleks. and joanna lumley was in the studio talking about still being a MILF.

HOLA4418

I've seen your bully website and there's some interesting points made there. But I wonder why you end every post here with a potted summary of your prejudices, views, opinions about almost everything.

Is this a trend everyone should follow? I do hope not. It's odd isn't it, that when we write a letter to someone we don't usually end it with a personal diatribe against whatever we don't like in the world. Or make a phone call and then before hanging up deliver a lecture about our personal opinions.

Before long every forum post will contain a full CV, 1000 word essay on the writer's political, moral and religious views, a family photo album, a diary/blog of recent personal events, a large avatar, and several advertisements drawing attention to the poster's business, his cousin's plumbing service, his prefered newspaper and a multitude of info NOT related in any way to the thread in hand. The actual message might be two lines long.

It's the online equivalent of junk mail, and it's getting very close to spam. Do give it a rest please.

VacantPossession

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA4419

Well I agree with everything on Penbat1's list except the Binge drinking, I like that !! :D

HOLA4420
Well as long as they have a home, then they will be fine. Those that will be left unhappy are the ones that believed the HPC hype and missed the boat and end up at the mercy of evil landlords at age 65+

I can't believe that you are still going on about "missing the boat"

Get with the now !!

The boat sailed off over the horizon ages ago, hit an iceberg, and is taking on water fast, and will take alot of people to the bottom with it !!

Even if there is no crash, prices aren't going anywhere for a while, so there is no "boat"

Worst case scenario -

Save up for a while, and buy in a year or two's time, at current prices.

or

Save up for a while and buy in a year or two at maybe 20% less

It's a WIN, WIN situation as far as I can see.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Ignorance is bliss. :D

I guess that makes us the fifth most ignorant nation on the planet.

Only stupid people are happy - any one with an ounce of sense

can see beyond the big (meewed) tely and the imaginary value

of their house.

Surveys...don't talk to me about surveys.

ABB

HOLA4423
B) I've changed it all from bold to normal typeface and I've reduced the amount of red so it should look less "in your face" :D:P

Sorry, but you've chosen to completely ignore my point that when you write a post on a forum dedicated to whatever subject at hand exists, you choose to promote anti- "bullying" and a host of other personal gripes, and by that ruin your own position, and in doing so become the very bully you detest. In other words, you are creating imposed online spam via a message board.

My point was that if everyone did this, no forum message would actually address the issue at hand and would become merely a vehicle to promote personal views about a multitude of subjects. In essence, every time you post you are demanding your "fifteen minutes" of fame.

It is a bore, and is an abuse of any forum system. Sorry that I have "upgraded" my post, but has it sunk in yet?

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

HOLA4424