House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Trampa501

Recession? Record At Heathrow

heathrowFigures

Increased long haul traffic more than offset a drop in domestic services from Heathrow as the London hub handled a record 6.9 million passengers in July.

Overall passenger numbers using the airport were up by 2.5% over the same month last year despite a 13.3% drop in domestic traffic as airlines cut seat capacity by 16%.

Heathrow-operator BAA reported increases in North Atlantic, long-haul and European scheduled traffic "more than compensated" for a fall in domestic passengers in the year to July, giving it record passenger numbers over the past 12 months.

Heathrow saw its busiest day on record on July 31 - the start of the main school summer holidays - and seven of Heathrow's top ten days for passenger numbers were recorded during the month.

BAA chief executive Colin Matthews said: "The growth in passenger traffic at Heathrow is good news for UK jobs, tourism and growth."

Now what could possibly deter all these extra visitor numbers? Oh..

They do believe in the long term, the growth is real.

BA have made 800 pilot training places available at Southampton and Heathrow. That would be my dream career, until I checked the cost of the training; £84,000. Although you maybe sponsored.

In the next life I think...

--->

http://www.bafuturepilot.com/

Edited by Money Spinner

BA have made 800 pilot training places available at Southampton and Heathrow. That would be my dream career, until I checked the cost of the training; £84,000. Although you maybe sponsored.

--->

BA are making loans available for trainees up to 100k, I believe, repayable over 7 years as you work for them. Not sure about interest.

The well-off fly.

I mean, they're hardly going to catch a Eurolines bus to Tuscany or the Dordogne or the Caribbean or Thailand, are they?

Stanstead is down, though, 7.2%, on European routes. (Including Bergerac and the Dordogne.)

Actually Eurolines isn't particularly cheap, depends on the country. The awful channel crossing is Eurolines problem in the UK.

--->

I thought the general rule is to get the trainling, buy a cars pass the course go on a big holiday to celebrate and then go bankrupt before starting your new job.

BA are making loans available for trainees up to 100k, I believe, repayable over 7 years as you work for them. Not sure about interest.

Fair enough, given the wages. Something like £150K++ once you are captain isn't it? The worldwide demand for aircrew is predicted to go ballistic.

Edited by Peter Hun

Fair enough, given the wages. Something like £150K++ once you are captain isn't it? The worldwide demand for aircrew is predicted to go ballistic.

150k? LMAO. Halve that for the vast majority (short haul), and that's for senior guys. A BA 744 Capt would be on cica £100k, but £150k is dream land.

Easyjet and Ryanscair would be even less than the figures above.

I think flying would be a lot of fun for about 5 years, then the reality of being a glorified bus driver would sink in.

I think flying would be a lot of fun for about 5 years, then the reality of being a glorified bus driver would sink in.

Don't pilots get exposed to high levels of radiation up there?

the jet to Hong Kong we were on this year was packed, as was the one the year before. i think its only a recession for the low paid, were all in it together, yeah right.

and yes each long haul is the equivalent to an X-ray apparently.

Edited by cypher007

The demand for landing and takeoff slots greatly exceeds those available at Heathrow and has done for years.

Changes in the flight figures here are IMO more to do with policy than demand.

The demand for landing and takeoff slots greatly exceeds those available at Heathrow and has done for years.

Changes in the flight figures here are IMO more to do with policy than demand.

What "changes" would you be referring to? It's quire hard to magic up aircraft arriving and departing. They tend to be noticed by people.

What "changes" would you be referring to? It's quire hard to magic up aircraft arriving and departing. They tend to be noticed by people.

I think the point was that Heathrow can fill all the slots it makes available, within reason; that doesn't mean they're new flights to or from the UK, as routes may well have switched there from a different airport (e.g. flights which used to go to and from Gatwick moving to Heathrow).

I seem to remember reading that this is one of the reasons why BA flew some empty aircraft in and out of Heathrow during their strikes; if they didn't fly they could have risked losing their slots.

Edited by MarkG