House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Whats Worse?

Buying before crash is worst - because you can easily see it coming.

Selling before boom - well who can see a boom coming?

Next time property prices have been reasonably in line with wages for a while - and then interest rates halve - I'll buy, buy, buy.

Buying before crash is worst - because you can easily see it coming.

Selling before boom - well who can see a boom coming?

Next time property prices have been reasonably in line with wages for a while - and then interest rates halve - I'll buy, buy, buy.

.... if only it were so easy!

The worst thing to do is selling before the peak and then waiting for prices to drop back, and then realising that you are now priced out of where you just sold

how is that a "peak"?

Guest Bart of Darkness

Buying before a crash. All that extra debt gained by buying at the peak lingers for a long time.

Selling before a boom must be gutting but at least you can get on with your life.

I would say, risk wise, it's better to sell before the peak, your equity is gaining interest in the bank and you are not at risk of bankruptcy/repo (can't spell) as you have no mortgage and ultimately you have some control over your situation/finances. Buying just before a crash may see IR rises, which could effect your mortgage repayments, and if you have stretched yourself, this could mean you loose your home.

It's better to loose some of your money/equity than loose it all.

I remember all the negativity about in 2001, though sold for many other reasons. I remember an EA telling me he reckoned I'd 'hit the peak'. I've also since chatted to other EAs & financial advisors who sold that year thinking it was about to get rocky. :rolleyes: