House Price Crash Forum
Lepista

Complete Fiscal Car Crash

Cameron has just said that the reason for the cuts is a "complete fiscal car crash".

Now I may be mistaken, but cars that have been in a "complete car crash" tend not to actually work, at all. No amount of cost cutting is going to get it going again. You'd be better off going to the showroom to choose a brand new one.

Cameron has just said that the reason for the cuts is a "complete fiscal car crash".

Now I may be mistaken, but cars that have been in a "complete car crash" tend not to actually work, at all. No amount of cost cutting is going to get it going again. You'd be better off going to the showroom to choose a brand new one.

Has the penny finally dropped ?

Who put this man in charge ?

I bet Gordon brown probably voted for him.

A complete car crash tends to leave the occupents dead too.

A complete car crash tends to leave the occupents dead too.

Maybe that's the point.

All over bar the shouting?

..a "complete fiscal car crash".

Otherwise known as a write off.

So is he hoping for some sort of 3rd world banana republic type of debt forgiveness.

Edited by billybong

So is he hoping for some sort of 3rd world banana republic type of debt forgiveness.

Are we not now a 3rd world banana republic to Chinas superior 1st world ecconomy

You just borrow another car.

I think all the big boys are - and discussions have been underway for a while already. Only way out bar complete collapse which none of them will actually want. Been thinking this for a while now.

You just borrow another car.

No.. you put it on the back of a tow truck. If the tow truck crashes - perhaps due to being overloaded - then you put it in turn on a bigger tow truck. And if THAT one crashes, again, just find a bigger tow truck.

Problem solved.

So exactly what is wrong with what he said, again? The figures are not secret. The country is running a >10% deficit, and that is before any real cutbacks in public services have started that will reduce the GDP and tax income once they do. Then there is the slight problem that bits of the country can start "spontaneously" combusting even with the current unaffordable level of funding for the police and the fire service. And that is before the inflation flares up, the interest rates rise, and the housing market collapses taking the banks the taxpayer does not yet own with it. I suppose it may be that the interest rates won't rise, but then the price of food, petrol, and everything else will. If you thought the underclass were a bit unhappy now that they still have plenty to eat, just what might happen once they don't?

The whole point is that no-one sane would choose fixing the sorry mess starting from where we are now, if they had any alternative. The country is just like a wrecked car that has a negative value to anyone wanting to get it going again, because it will end up worth less than the cost of fixing it even if it's successfully repaired. Admittedly, that depends on how you count, but it has been said before the country is basically bust if various promises made by the past governments were to be counted at par. In practice they are not, as the current generation of university students and future generations of ill people and pensioners will no doubt discover. In any case, it would have been a lot easier not to wreck the country than it will now be to fix it.

What would you describe the current situation as? The country is running a Greek-style deficit and the only things going for it are i) the ability to debase its currency, and ii) being wealthier to start with.

So exactly what is wrong with what he said, again? The figures are not secret. The country is running a >10% deficit, and that is before any real cutbacks in public services have started that will reduce the GDP and tax income once they do. Then there is the slight problem that bits of the country can start "spontaneously" combusting even with the current unaffordable level of funding for the police and the fire service. And that is before the inflation flares up, the interest rates rise, and the housing market collapses taking the banks the taxpayer does not yet own with it. I suppose it may be that the interest rates won't rise, but then the price of food, petrol, and everything else will. If you thought the underclass were a bit unhappy now that they still have plenty to eat, just what might happen once they don't?

The whole point is that no-one sane would choose fixing the sorry mess starting from where we are now, if they had any alternative. The country is just like a wrecked car that has a negative value to anyone wanting to get it going again, because it will end up worth less than the cost of fixing it even if it's successfully repaired. Admittedly, that depends on how you count, but it has been said before the country is basically bust if various promises made by the past governments were to be counted at par. In practice they are not, as the current generation of university students and future generations of ill people and pensioners will no doubt discover. In any case, it would have been a lot easier not to wreck the country than it will now be to fix it.

What would you describe the current situation as? The country is running a Greek-style deficit and the only things going for it are i) the ability to debase its currency, and ii) being wealthier to start with.

Well, quite. It's just refresshing and surprising to hear it come out of the mouth of a politician.

Are we not now a 3rd world banana republic to Chinas superior 1st world ecconomy

Not sure where we grow bananas in the UK?

(Unless you mean we sell banana-based futures and derivatives?)