House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Bupa Calls For 'urgent' Action Over Care Home Crisis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14475101

Ray King, chief executive of medical group Bupa, has called for a "chronic underfunding" of the care homes system to be addressed "urgently".

He warned that the NHS may face a "bed blocking" crisis unless fees paid to care home operators such as Bupa rise.

Mr King said the number of care home places in the UK will fall unless operators get "fairer fees".

His comments came as he unveiled a sharp rise in Bupa's overall global profits, but a fall in the UK division.

About 70% of Bupa's 18,000 care residents, in its more than 300 homes, are paid for by local authorities.

Clearly the govt isn't doing a good enough job of funnelling taxpayer cash into Bupa.

Fairer fees that boost profits?

Ray King, chief executive of medical group Bupa, has called for a "chronic underfunding" of the care homes system to be addressed "urgently" been called to his bosses's office to explain why the UK division is losing money & threatened with the sack unless this is addressed "urgently"

He warned that the NHS may face a "bed blocking" crisis unless fees paid to care home operators such as Bupa rise only way to save his job is to threaten to the hold the NHS to ransom.

Mr King said the number of care home places in the UK will fall unless operators get "fairer much, much larger fees; you know what I'm sayin', I mean big drinks John".

His comments came as he unveiled was told by his boss of a sharp rise in Bupa's overall global profits, but a fall in the UK division.

About 70% of Bupa's 18,000 care residents, in its more than 300 homes, are paid for by local authorities people who pay tax.

Corrected it for you.

The efficient private sector we hear so much about unable to survive even at this moment of peak debt, humungous public deficit (private sector surplus), corporate profits hoarding and next to nothing paid in corporate taxes.

Perhaps they need to go bust and let someone even more efficient take over. Schumpeter an all that.

To be fair, if you want them to provide the services, they can charge what thye want. It's a business. If they wre price gouging, someone else would enter the market and undercut them, or the councils would do it themselves.

The problem is the usual one.... people want more than they are prepared to pay for. Either we have to raise taxes so we can pay more or lower the standard of living of those in care.

For a minute there I thought this might be a story of Bupa being concerned for the well being of the residents or something :lol::lol::lol:

But- of course- that would be ridiculous- clearly whenever the term 'urgent action' is used by a corporate the subject in hand is some form of taxpayer transfer payment, usually backed up by a threat of some kind.

slightly off topic, i work in construction and we are currently doing alot of work for a company they build private carehomes, and are doing so country wide, they are building until 2015

the guy that owns them also owns the companys building them, hes got his head screwed on, buying abandoned pub sites and building on them, i was told each room is worth £1200 a week!!!!!! thats some money

slightly off topic, i work in construction and we are currently doing alot of work for a company they build private carehomes, and are doing so country wide, they are building until 2015

the guy that owns them also owns the companys building them, hes got his head screwed on, buying abandoned pub sites and building on them, i was told each room is worth £1200 a week!!!!!! thats some money

Works out at £171.42 a day. Which includes all meals, all drinks and snacks, all laundry (often a hell of a lot given all the accidents) , heating on full blast most of the time, and usually 24 hour care and supervision with all the staff needed for that.

It always sounds an awful lot, but when you compare it to what you'd pay for night in a reasonable hotel (certainly in London/SE) for just room and breakfast, it sounds more reasonable.

I have know several car home owners. They were all dishonest uncaring greedy bastards.

Contrary to what has been said earlier in this thread they have very poor levels of staffing. The staff are mostly on minimum wage.

I looked around a BUPA one for my mother, it was one of the worst.

I hope I die before I have to go in one.

Is this the entitlement culture that I'm hearing so much about at the moment?

Peter.

yep...who needs bupa when we have the voluntary sector and the 'big society'....they can bop off, to rip others off.. ;)

Clearly the govt isn't doing a good enough job of funnelling taxpayer cash into Bupa.

Fairer fees that boost profits?

In the mean time...

BUPA care home residents deprived of food

Donnington Residential and Nursing Home slammed in Care Quality Commission report

A PRIVATE Newbury care home deprived some its its residents and left them open to risk of infection, a damning report has revealed.

Filthy conditions at the BUPA-run Donnington Residential and Nursing Home left residents at risk of infection, according to the report

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=17525

and BUPA wants more money ?

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1313085245' post='3084833]

I have know several car home owners. They were all dishonest uncaring greedy bastards.

Contrary to what has been said earlier in this thread they have very poor levels of staffing. The staff are mostly on minimum wage.

I looked around a BUPA one for my mother, it was one of the worst.

I hope I die before I have to go in one.

I know of one greedy ******* care home owner - friend of a friend - he had several, flogged them all off at the peak to developers, slung all the poor old dears out. Has since bought a nice holiday home in Barbados to add to his other homes, forget how many.

Was at a do years ago where he bragged about getting the council to pay his mortgage - pleading poverty - while he had a stack of cash offshore. :ph34r:

OTOH my mother is in a not-for-profit Abbeyfield which I have to say is very good.

Also I had an aunt in a home in St Albans - forget the group that owned it - but it was lovely, staff all extremely nice, and I was there a lot recently while she was dying.

There are good homes, but you do have to look hard and be very selective.