House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Vertex 3

My three month old Intel SSD in the laptop died a couple of days ago and I've replaced it with an OCZ Vertex 3. Expensive, but real world performance is superb, highly recommended, response is almost instantaneous.

I have nothing to do with the manufacturer, just appreciate things that work.

I was looking to get an 500gb SSD for my PC for the quietness. Then I checked the prices online which quickly killed any dreams I had :lol:

I'm hoping they become more popular and reasonably priced in the future so I can actually afford one.

I was looking to get an 500gb SSD for my PC for the quietness. Then I checked the prices online which quickly killed any dreams I had :lol:

I'm hoping they become more popular and reasonably priced in the future so I can actually afford one.

Yes, they are silent and use less power, my laptop runs for up to six hours on battery compared to four or five with a mechanical hard disk, but the main advantage is the performance.

Why did it die? I have heard they don't have a long life and have reliability issues. I have just bought a 256GB one and I'm making sure everything is backed up in two locations just in case. And yes, performance is hugely improved - this is how computers should be.

Why did it die? I have heard they don't have a long life and have reliability issues. I have just bought a 256GB one and I'm making sure everything is backed up in two locations just in case. And yes, performance is hugely improved - this is how computers should be.

It just died completely, error message was to check the cable. I removed it and tried in a USB caddy, completely dead. It was a three month old Intel 320 160GB which I bought to upgrade an 80GB Intel SSD that I'd had for over a year and is still working well in the Wife's laptop.

I bought Intel for reliability, but the OCZ Vertex 3 240GB is so much faster, time will tell on reliability.

I have used Acronis True Image for a few years, which enabled me to be up and running in a short time on the original hard disk, but when I tried to restore the image on the new SSD it let me down. I spent a day , four hours with Acronis tech support, to no avail. In desperation, I made a Windows backup image and boot DVD and it worked perfectly, so all is now as it was before but much faster.

My three month old Intel SSD in the laptop died a couple of days ago and I've replaced it with an OCZ Vertex 3. Expensive, but real world performance is superb, highly recommended, response is almost instantaneous.

I have nothing to do with the manufacturer, just appreciate things that work.

Product gets a mixed review in Amazon.

Product gets a mixed review in Amazon.

Had a Vertex 2 that failed and required me to write 0s to the whole drive to sort it out after 4 months. Not good - OCZ's support is still at the 'fingers in ears' stage. Got a Western Digital 128Gb SLC Enterprise SSD off of Ebay brand new after that. It may not be as fast on paper - but I don't notice any difference in real world apps. Being an SLC drive rather than an MLC, it should be good forever in a desktop. It has been 100% so far.

Plenty of problems with the reliability of the Vertex 3 and Corsair Force Series 3/Force GT drives. Seems to be related to the SandForce controller and/or the firmware. Make sure you back up your important files. I did want a Corsair SSD for my new laptop but I'm going to sit tight until they resolve the problems.

I do frequent full image backups and keep the original hard disk handy so that I can pop that in and restore the latest image off a USB drive under windows. If that fails, I can use a Windows boot DVD to access the image on the USB drive. I also keep the previous couple of images in case one is corrupt.

I've been using SSDs for a few years and the only failure so far was on the intel 320 which I've returned for an agreed refund as the supplier was out of stock (I currently have four SSDs in various machines. Two Samsung SLCs, an Intel G2 and the OCZ).

I'm still really pleased with the Vertex 3 and it should be even faster when I upgrade to a 'Sandy Bridge' laptop in the future. Performance wise, the SandForce controller is streets ahead of whatever Intel use in the 320 series.