House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Convicted Rioters Should Lose Benefits

BBC News website: Top e-petition demands axing of benefits for rioters.

The most signed e-petition on the No 10 website is one calling for convicted rioters to lose benefit payments.

"No taxpayer should have to contribute to those who have destroyed property, stolen from their community and shown a disregard for the country that provides for them," the petition argues.

What would be the medium- to long-term effects if such a policy was enacted?

That'll be the monument to poor education? I expect the misspelling (which you silently corrected :huh: ) has put off many potential signatories: we'd rather not be associated with illiteracy.

I wonder how many signatures a similar petition in troubled Arab countries might attract? Especially those countries where "we" have encouraged the rioters!

Actually going back a generation, I think we have precedents for it. ISTR in the days of union troubles that strikers (at least violent ones, perhaps all) lost entitlements to at least some benefits.

With a criminal conviction and very likely high employability in any case, of course it'll be dead easy for them to get a job, so absolutely no need to go out robbing in order to live.

What I'd do with some of the rioters - those who've had a hopeless education or couldn't be arsed - is make them do community service plus compulsory classes in literacy/numeracy until they've reached a reasonable level.

According to stats. a high %age of those in prison have very poor literacy skills - why on earth they don't have compulsory lessons while they're banged up is beyond me.

That'll be the monument to poor education? I expect the misspelling (which you silently corrected :huh: ) has put off many potential signatories: we'd rather not be associated with illiteracy.

I don't understand what you're saying here. What did I silently correct?

Actually going back a generation, I think we have precedents for it. ISTR in the days of union troubles that strikers (at least violent ones, perhaps all) lost entitlements to at least some benefits.

Strikers didn't qualify for benefits, just 'strike pay' from the union, if they were lucky.

Let's face it, removing the benefits for those convicted during these riots won't save money. It'll just be re-distributed to the police officers required to nick them again when they are forced to steal or starve.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is a matter of opinion, but I'm sure most people would sympathise with the new victims of crime this action would create.

According to stats. a high %age of those in prison have very poor literacy skills - why on earth they don't have compulsory lessons while they're banged up is beyond me.

BMW man teaches in prisons, the attendance is extremely low and he says the prisoners know they won't get jobs whenthey get out.

I wonder how many signatures a similar petition in troubled Arab countries might attract? Especially those countries where "we" have encouraged the rioters!

Yes - although I agree, I refused to sign it because of the spelling error. It just makes the whole thing look like a forum rant. :o

Sorry, something went wrong.

Sorry if you're experiencing problems accessing e-petitons. There is currently a much higher level of demand than we expected.

You could try refreshing your browser (press F5) to complete what you were trying to do

We are very sorry, but we were unable to complete your last action.

We have been notified about the problem and will resolve it as quickly as possible.

Please click on the button below to return to the home page.

Is there some medium sized island , a remnant from Englands imperial legacy , that 50,000 of these losers could just be shipped off to with a few tonnes of food , tools , seeds etc and some books and then just left alone for 10 years.Survival of the fittest , maybe take a few cameras down and make a reality TV show about it.Lord of the flies LIVE or something.Maybe the Pitcairn Islands , Bermuda is too close to civilization for these losers.

Is there some medium sized island , a remnant from Englands imperial legacy , that 50,000 of these losers could just be shipped off to with a few tonnes of food , tools , seeds etc and some books and then just left alone for 10 years.Survival of the fittest , maybe take a few cameras down and make a reality TV show about it.Lord of the flies LIVE or something.Maybe the Pitcairn Islands , Bermuda is too close to civilization for these losers.

Gruinard? An example of quasi terrorist activity which seemed to work rather well (OK, I admit my source is wikipedia..DYOR)

In 1981 British newspapers began receiving messages with the heading "Operation Dark Harvest" which demanded that the government decontaminate the island, and reported that a "team of microbiologists from two universities" had landed on the island with the aid of local people and collected 300 lbs of soil. The group threatened to leave samples of the soil "at appropriate points that will ensure the rapid loss of indifference of the government and the equally rapid education of the general public". The same day a sealed package of soil was left outside the military research facility at Porton Down; tests revealed that it contained anthrax bacilli. A few days later another sealed package of soil was left in Blackpool, where the ruling Conservative Party was holding its annual conference. The soil did not contain anthrax, but officials said that the soil was similar to that found on the island.[11]

Starting in 1986 a determined effort was made to decontaminate the island,

They should make them go rioting in Singapore and see how they get on there. They'd lose much more than their benefits when caught. Couple of limbs maybe.

If they rioted in Singapore they'd be birched for sure, possibly even hung. But then again if they lived in Singapore chances are they'd be more likely to form their own legitimate businesses. See posts passim.

Having said that, immigrants coming into Singapore are closely vetted before being allowed in and tightly monitored while there. Singapore is careful not to let in just any riff-raffles in the first place.

"Sorry, e-petitions is temporarily unavailable.

The e-petitions site is having problems at the moment. We need to temporarily suspend the creation and signing of e-petitions to allow us to make sure everything is working properly for you.

We aim to re-open the e-petitions site by Friday morning (12th August).

We're very sorry for the inconvenience this causes you.

The e-petition entitled “Convicted London rioters should loose all benefits” has now passed the threshold of 100,000 signatures and has been passed to the Backbench Business Committee to consider for debate. It will continue to be available for signature once the site is re-opened."

e-petitions simply cannot cope with the demand to sign this petition.

Labour are finished.

Why the ****** can't people spell LOSE? It's LOSE, you ******ing morons.

+1

Because their stupid. They should of learned that at school.

:P

I see what you've done there! Very good!

As a foreigner I have lots of problems with various bits of English grammar, but come on people loose vs. lose is not that complicated.

+1

A small tip: the "of" used in your sentence should be "have". I don't why it is pronounced "of" in conversation; probably a contraction of should have sounding like should of.

A small tip: the "of" used in your sentence should be "have". I don't why it is pronounced "of" in conversation; probably a contraction of should have sounding like should of.

...any ideas about my use of 'their' in the first sentence? :P

+1

Shouldn't that be 'learn't'?

Or maybe ive been reading to many of Privit Eyes messidge board's.

He woz takin de piss innit.