House Price Crash Forum
Ash4781

5Year Fixed Falling Again

5year fixed are falling again. I am not sure what time the mpc has their inflation report out though the fed has already signalled their intentions. As for housing transaction volumes well I expect there to stay low now.

Is it possible to get a fixed rate 25 year mortgage? I have looked but can't see them anywhere.

Only in the US.

Here the max is 10 year. When I buy it will be 10 year fix. With a bit more house price falls and saving I'll have it paid off within those 10 years anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, 10 years fixed sounds like a good bet. What sort of interest rates are you looking at on those then? Are there heavy penalty for early payback and can you port them if you need to move (lose job etc...)

Thanks for the info.

Yes, 10 years fixed sounds like a good bet. What sort of interest rates are you looking at on those then? Are there heavy penalty for early payback and can you port them if you need to move (lose job etc...)

It's been a few months since I last checked but I think Britannia was best at 5.29%. it's portable and allows 10% over payments per year.

Heres the link. http://www.britannia.co.uk/_site/channels/mortgage/products/10yr-fixed.html

Nationwide also do them, not sure of their current rates.

Is it possible to get a fixed rate 25 year mortgage? I have looked but can't see them anywhere.

I had a 25 year fix from the Cheshire in 2005, at 5.75%. I would dearly love it again but we STR in 2009, paying an astronomical get-out fee. It seems nobody is doing them right now.

<br />I had a 25 year fix from the Cheshire in 2005, at 5.75%. I would dearly love it again but we STR in 2009, paying an astronomical get-out fee. It seems nobody is doing them right now.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

As did my work colleague, but I'm certain his was fixed at 4.99% at the time and had regular early payment windows. It was definitely Cheshire BS.

<br /><br /><br />

As did my work colleague, but I'm certain his was fixed at 4.99% at the time and had regular early payment windows. It was definitely Cheshire BS.

Beats the shit out of anything available today and I thought mortgage rates were a record lows?

<br />Beats the shit out of anything available today and I thought mortgage rates were a record lows?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

And, IIRC, it was 4.79% before that. That was the time that I pointed out the mortgage to my colleague but he apply in quick enough and it had gone up to 4.99% by then.

Beats the shit out of anything available today and I thought mortgage rates were a record lows?

There's a big discommect between 5 and 10-year fixes. Wheras there is almost no difference between 3 and 5 year fixes. This may mean something.. IR hike in 2017, I suspect..

It's been a few months since I last checked but I think Britannia was best at 5.29%. it's portable and allows 10% over payments per year.

Heres the link. http://www.britannia.co.uk/_site/channels/mortgage/products/10yr-fixed.html

Nationwide also do them, not sure of their current rates.

I think that should be considered carefully. If you think you will be paying it off in 10 years, then the additional cost of a 10 year fix over a 5 year probably isn't justified. It's a lot of dosh over 5 years.

Plus if you are paying it off fast, your LTV will be low, meaning a much cheaper deal and a get out opportunity.