House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BROF

Paying Rent In Advance

A bit of advice is appreciated.

I've been living outside the UK for quite a while now, so my credit history/landlord references etc here are non-existent.

I have a few quid in the bank and was considering offering to pay a full 12 months rent up front on a place I am looking to rent

to:

1) Maybe encourage a hefty discount in the rent.

2) Provide security to the landlord.

Question. Obviously I would need to be confident about the financial position of the landlord. What questions should I ask?

What pitfalls are there with this tactic? What rights do I have if the landlord is behind with his/her mortagage and the flat

is subject to a repo for example.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BROF

I've been living outside the UK for quite a while now, so my credit history/landlord references etc here are non-existent.

I have a few quid in the bank and was considering offering to pay a full 12 months rent up front on a place I am looking to rent

to:

Question. Obviously I would need to be confident about the financial position of the landlord. What questions should I ask?

What pitfalls are there with this tactic? What rights do I have if the landlord is behind with his/her mortagage and the flat

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps a better option might be to have a guarantor for the rent. I would be very careful handing over the whole term at once. B)

Perhaps a better option might be to have a guarantor for the rent. I would be very careful handing over the whole term at once. B)

There's other threads on this, if the mortgage is BtL or the LL has the permission of the morgagee then you are sound for the duration of the tenancy, otherwise you could be out on your ear with a bancrupt LL so no prospect of recovering you money. Personally I offered 3 months upfront during our last renewal in exchange for a 6 month break clause so why not go 3 or 4 months and use that to secure the discount. You could find out from the land registry if the LL has a BtL mortgage or not (if they are registered as living at the address then the latter and be wary.

to:

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Colleague's daughter paid a year in advance, got a small discount.

However, when the washing machine packed up she then had absolutely no leverage - despite umpteen calls to a supposedly reputable agent it was nearly 2 months before anybody fixed it.

So that's something to bear in mind - no bargaining power if anything goes wrong, or if e.g. LL expects you to put up with viewings during the last month - total strangers wandering around your home while you're out.