House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Some News Stories Leave Me Perplexed

So-called news stories often pop up where one is inclined to ask, what's the story?

Sometimes, though, it seems to me to be more than that -- I actually find the story raises so many niggling little questions, I'm simply perplexed by the end of it. For example:

BBC News website: David Cameron returns to tip waitress at Italian cafe.

Prime Minister David Cameron has returned to an Italian cafe to make amends for failing to tip a waitress. [Even without knowing if there a reason why he chose not to leave a tip, so what? Isn't tipping optional? Returned to 'make amends'? 'Failing'?]

Last week, he and his wife ordered two cappuccinos at the Dolcenero cafe in Montevarchi, but did not leave a tip.

When he returned on Sunday, the PM bought two drinks for 5.10 euros and told waitress Francesca Ariani to keep the change from a 10 euro note.

Ms Ariani told reporters Mr Cameron had apologised for any fuss the incident had caused. [Fuss? If there was a fuss, that might at least constitute a smidgen of news... but what, if anything, was the fuss exactly?]

The Camerons and their children are on holiday in Tuscany, staying at an 18th Century villa close to Montevarchi with two other families.

'Nice surprise'

Ms Ariani, 27, told journalists she had not recognised Mr Cameron and his wife Samantha when they first visited the cafe on 31 July. [What's the relevance, if any, of whether the Camerons were recognised?]

She said the prime minister had ordered two coffees and asked for them to be brought to an outside table - but she had told him she was too busy and he should collect them himself. [it sounds as if perhaps Cameron may not have received the service he'd've wanted. Sounds like an acceptable reason for deciding to withhold a tip. Although I'm having to fill the blanks in here, because the story doesn't actually link the 'too busy' thing to the lack of tip.]

He later left without tipping, but returned on Sunday with daughter Nancy to clear up the misunderstanding. [Misunderstanding? What misunderstanding? Again, if there was a misunderstanding, that might represent a teensy bit of news, but that's the only detail that appears to be absent.]

Ms Ariani said she had apologised for not recognising him. [What does recognising him have to do with anything? Shouldn't she be apologising, if at all, for not being able to serve drinks at the table?]

"He came back to look for me. It was such a nice surprise for me to see him," she told the Daily Telegraph. [How could it be 'such a nice surprise' to see someone you don't recognise and who didn't leave a tip? Surely, for a waitress, that would be the least interesting type of customer?]

"He knew I had made a mistake and he wanted to tell me not to worry because I did not recognise him. I never imagined he would come back. He is really lovely." [He knew he'd made a mistake? If he did make a mistake, it's not being spelled out in this news story as far as I can tell.]

The prime minister has faced criticism for failing to cut short his holiday in the wake of the eurozone debt crisis and the riots in Tottenham. [And the relevance of this last line to a pretty irrelevant story is what?]

You see? Baffling from start to finish.

Pretty baffled by that myself.

If they want to do a piece on Cameron's holiday why not just print a picture and talk about what he's wearing as they usually do.

Pretty baffled by that myself.

If they want to do a piece on Cameron's holiday why not just print a picture and talk about what he's wearing as they usually do.

Must be a subtle advertising piece for the newspapers. The idea being, you read 27-year-old waitress and Tuscan village, and want pictures!

(have to say, the comments in green make much more sense to me than the story text, too)

The waitress had told someone she'd served the UK PM and he hadnn't tipped.

Rather than create an international incident he undid his wrong.