House Price Crash Forum

Newsnight ---- Now

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Why are we pving over the green belt when we have one million properties standing empty ?

God question lets see if we get a straight answer

New series how to rescue an empty house

Edited by Riser

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Its not on Newsnight Scotland so can someone fill me in.

www.bbc.co.uk/newsnight

You can watch the whole programme.

HOLA449
bbc.co.uk/newsnight

You can watch the whole programme.

aye just watched it online - isn't technology wonderful!

I think the real answer behind why the govt won't refurb the houses/encourage their refurb is because this would exacerbate the coming crash... they know there is over-supply, not a shortage, and this is a sneaky way of trying to change the balance and help prop up the market

HOLA4410

The message that keeps coming through in the interview is that affordability problems are due to lack of housing supply. It's as though Paxman is making supeficial criticism of the government for lack of action on renovating old properties, while helping push their deeper agenda of talking up the market.

I hate all the references to 'key workers'. Is everybody else disposable?

HOLA4411

I distinctly recall Sir Menzies Campbell (Lib Dem) making the 1,000,000 empty houses point sometime last winter - on Newsnight I think. So this point isn't news to me!!!

If there's a shortage of housing in this country then f**k there must be too in USA, Australia, NZ, Canada, South Africa ... coz they've had virtually simultaneous booms!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Indeed there is nothing new about this. It was drawn to my attention by the Telegraph a year ago and I have since posted this link maybe three or four times:

Emoty Homes Agency

Here is their stats page:

Empty Homes statistics

There are 83,000 privately owned empty homes in London alone.

DON'T let people tell you all these homes are on Tiree or some such far flug corner of teh Isles.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I second that - there's nothing more bloody parochial than a Londoner. Anywhere outside the M25 is just a huge expedition and they get all squeamish and sulky. They won't even travel within London - it's pathetic. True of people from capital cities generally, imho.

Why dont you Londoners actually start to live life outside a smog filled vacuum? I used to live and work there, for 8 years in fact, however since I have move to Scotland I am living in the country within 30 mins of the city centre, the Highlands, and the coast. Breath and smell the country air. B)

HOLA4418
Why dont you Londoners actually start to live life outside a smog filled vacuum? I used to live and work there, for 8 years in fact, however since I have move to Scotland I am living in the country within 30 mins of the city centre, the Highlands, and the coast. Breath and smell the country air. B)

Quite right but you can't move to wonderful more remote places when you're single - I lived on the Isle of Skye for 6 months on my own and, though the neighbours were fab, I was lonely. It's find someone or brainwash several friends into moving to the same village. London, well, there's lots of people here that I know already.

Anyway, just watched Newsnight on the net. Bloody nulabor spinmeistress - they're so contemptible - they're all trained to breathe in the middle of sentences so that they can just keep going and going and going until everyone's so sick of the sound of them that all they want to do is creep out of the room and nobody can be bothered to argue. Bloody infuriating browbeating tactics. Totally crap answer on VAT. Isn't the architect brilliant, though? Can't wait to see the show. Have got to hand it to the awful but clever Rod Liddle that he was writing about this stuff yonks ago, mind you this guy has probably been trying to get his show made for years and only now that the market's how it is and the hideous meeja's sensing the next big thing (repossessions, bankrupcties and a big ole ker-ash) that they're letting him do it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
I hate all the references to 'key workers'. Is everybody else disposable?

Indeed. Also, those workers are so "key" that they need special treatment, but not just actually increasing their salary. What's the problem? If they are key (and I think they are), then the should be paid more. I think it must be insulting to be told you are a key worker, but that you have to put up with a low salary.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Hasn't the government also stockpiled anti-flu drugs for key-workers.

And themselves of course, where would we be without politicians??

No flu drugs for me though :-( Just not important enough

Squatting was a viable solution about 10 years ago but the squatting movement seems to now have fallen apart. I managed to squat in a smart but abandoned council flat for about 4 years.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I was thinking about buying my own suppy of tamiflu just in case, its a bit pricy but it does stop the all flus spreading, including bird flu (and i believe future variations)... I believe tamiflu is what the uk government has bought in small quantities.

http://www.buy-tamiflu.com/buy-tamiflu.aspx

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4425
Squatting was a viable solution about 10 years ago but the squatting movement seems to now have fallen apart. I managed to squat in a smart but abandoned council flat for about 4 years.

Hmm.. how viable is squatting? And how does one go about it?

There's a huge 3 bed flat, in a massively desirable area, right next to mine, that has stood empty for two and a half years at least. It's been for sale ... allegedly 'under offer' for about £800k (nb: silly, silly price, even for the area) the entire time, according to a local estate agents window.

It'd be kind of nice if I could just ... well... kind of 'pop in' via the not entirly sturdy sepearator bewteen our balcony and the other flats and claim it.

Anybody got any advice?