House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Consumer Society Comes Home To Roost

The legacy of the last twenty years...

Hordes of young people prepared to fight police and burn buildings to get their hands on...

Jobs? Education? Housing? Justice? Food?

No.

Sportswear, mobile phones, IPods, trainers, flat screen TV's, electrical goods, designer brand gear, alcohol, DVD's...

The must-have personal priorities so successfully embedded by advertisers, the media and sporting/fashion/music stars/celebrities over the last two decades.

Accessories without which you can't be 'cool'; can't be fully accepted by your peers. Can't command empathy and respect.

Innocents will die tonight, probably in burning buildings.

Police are evacuating some housing in Birmingham as the fires spread...

Absolutely - for both of those posts

1) we've taught them to worship those goods so they do

2) we've taught people to take no responsibility - so they don't

And everyone interviewed said "where were the police?".

Not one community member said "we told the looting interlopers to feck off"

Would you?

McDonalds in Canning Town has just been 'steamed' by 25 robbers.

They took food, and the contents of the till.

:blink::blink::blink:

Hordes of young people prepared to fight police and burn buildings to get their hands on...

No.

Sportswear, mobile phones, IPods, trainers, flat screen TV's, electrical goods, designer brand gear, alcohol, DVD's...

The must-have personal priorities so successfully embedded by advertisers, the media and sporting/fashion/music stars/celebrities over the last two decades.

Accessories without which you can't be 'cool'; can't be fully accepted by your peers. Can't command empathy and respect.

Very true. They had an interview with a director of JD Sports on the radio earlier. A shop selling so called desirable 'chavstyle' clothing has been targeted by these wee thugs, presumably so they can nick the latest trainers and crap shell suits (do they still make shell suits? what are they called these days?)

If they were protesting for a future for themselves and their kids I may have some sympathy but as they seem driven by robbing so called fashionable footware then anysympathy has rapidly evaporated.

More galling is the comments from many Labour representatives blaming the 'cuts' for this. This is more to do with long term deprivation that were wildly ignored by Labour (and the Tories before this). I just heard Ken Livingstone commenting how these rioters will have heard about the bankers bonuses - I would be very surprised if any of these idiots even know what a bankers bonus is let alone how they should feel out of pocket. So long as they have a Ipod and fashionable clothes they dont give a flying whasis...

This is a long term problem and it would be good if the cheap political shots were put to one side.

Very true. They had an interview with a director of JD Sports on the radio earlier. A shop selling so called desirable 'chavstyle' clothing has been targeted by these wee thugs, presumably so they can nick the latest trainers and crap shell suits (do they still make shell suits? what are they called these days?)

If they were protesting for a future for themselves and their kids I may have some sympathy but as they seem driven by robbing so called fashionable footware then anysympathy has rapidly evaporated.

More galling is the comments from many Labour representatives blaming the 'cuts' for this.

I alos noticed this. They blame the Cuts, closure of Citizens Advice Bureaux, lack of youth clubs, closure of EMA and so on. I even heard two Labourites describe rioters' behaviour as 'boisterous'.

'Boisterous'...arson, mass looting,,stabbings, assault....

Livingstone and Darcus Howe were a joke.

Having being savagely beaten multiple times.... if I had my shotgun sure.

So why did you ask me the question without knowing MY history?

Cheap shot and rather hypocritical

And everyone interviewed said "where were the police?".

Not one community member said "we told the looting interlopers to feck off"

..Asians successfully defended their mosque in East London and businesses elsewhere in the capital... :rolleyes:

The roots of the burning and looting in North London at the weekend can be traced back not to Broadwater Farm 1985 but to the Great Ikea Riot of 2005.

Six years ago a 7,000-strong mob went berserk at the opening of a new furniture warehouse in Edmonton. Five people were taken to hospital, including a woman who was stabbed in a fight over a cut-price sofa.

Police and security guards fought running battles with bargain hunters and the North Circular Road was brought to a standstill.

Riots: But the police have questions to answer too

Shoppers desperate for discount bed frames, on sale for as little as £30, tried to smash their way in to the store when the doors were barred after just half an hour. One member of staff had his jaw broken and paramedics feared for their lives.

Ikea admitted that it was probably a mistake to offer such low introductory prices and to open the warehouse at midnight. But that doesn’t explain why customers ‘behaved like animals’, according to eye-witnesses.

They scrapped like alley cats over soft furnishings even as the casualties were being stretchered off to ambulances. One scared shopper said: ‘It’s just furniture. It’s not worth dying over.’

Edmonton is a couple of miles north of Tottenham as the Molotov Cocktail flies, so it was no surprise when the looting spread there on Sunday.

Some of the survivors of the Great Ikea Riot were almost certainly filling their boots on Tottenham High Road and at nearby Wood Green Shopping City, where thieves formed orderly queues to ‘liberate’ everything from flat-screen TVs to trainers.

One photograph showed a woman casually trying on a pair of stolen shoes in front of a smashed store front.

This wasn’t a spontaneous uprising of dissent from the downtrodden masses, it was shopping with violence.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023898/London-riots-Red-sky-night-Tottenhams-alight.html

No.

Don't believe everything in this great stitch-up - think about it... there will be police/mod 'intelligence' amongst those rioters who have to 'fit-in' and what better way can they do this by looting chav stores and getting the message out that you are redistributing here. Given the choice i'm sure the chavs would rather loot higher end stores than the primarks, jjd's but that will not bring taste.

No.

Precisely.

Thieving is not revolution,

Even when rioting people are slaves to the system.

What will they do when John From does not bring the 'cargo' any more ?

Many high streets outside the big cities have been largely shut down by government and corporate retail policy.

By the time the next set of riots come along all they are going to have left is some charity shops.

Hard to look cool in gear nicked from Help The Aged.

McDonalds in Canning Town has just been 'steamed' by 25 robbers.

They took food, and the contents of the till.

:blink::blink::blink:

I wouldn't call anything in a McD food...

This my friends is what societal inequality looks like.

They aren't just stealing trainers, they are burning shops on the high street.

This isn't going to be good for the prices of houses in London (or anywhere in the country for that matter) ....

No, it's what a feral underclass bred by decades of welfare statism looks like, once they realise that there are enough of them that they can do whatever the hell they want.

No, it's what a feral underclass bred by decades of welfare statism looks like, once they realise that there are enough of them that they can do whatever the hell they want.

You're both right, in as much as one has lead to the other.

This behaviour reminds me of that new film that has just been released,THE RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

This behaviour reminds me of that new film that has just been released,THE RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES.

To be fair they generally seem to have finally cottoned on to the Banking model and are merely implementing a form of deregulated shopping, which as everyone on here is aware is fundamental to growth