House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jfk

In A Flap: Chorlton Residents Under Siege From Pigeons

In a flap: Chorlton residents under siege from pigeons

Exclusive by Amy Glendinning

C_71_article_1454992_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg?08%2F08%2F2011%2008%3A15%3A42%3A745

MUCKING OUT: Christine Sherratt peers through her dropping-stained window MUCKING OUT: Christine Sherratt peers through her dropping-stained window

Pigeons are leaving residents of luxury flats in a flap by covering their balconies in droppings and waking them up with noisy cooing.

Around 60 birds have begun nesting in the underground car park and balconies of Regents Court in Chorlton, Manchester.

Residents say the birds are making it impossible to enjoy the balconies of the two-bed flats, which sell for more than £170,000.

And they have started making their own anti-pigeon spikes to keep the pests away.

The building’s management company have offered put up netting – but residents say this will ruin their balconies.

Businesswoman Christine Sherratt, 44, who lives in one of the flats on Upper Chorlton Road, said: "We pay a lot of money to live here and these birds are ruining tables and chairs on our balconies.

"Every time you want to sit out there for a cup of tea you find it covered in droppings and feathers – it’s disgusting.

"There’s about 60 of these birds and since they started nesting here six months ago we can’t get rid of them.

"The management company of the property have offered to put netting over all our balconies – but I don’t want to live in something looking like an army base."

Another resident who did not want to give her name said: "The pigeons wake me up at 4.30am and have been laying eggs in the plant pots on my balconies – it’s disgusting.

"We’ve all been researching pigeon deterrent techniques on the internet but nothing seems to work."

Ellen Mullen, scheme manager at Contour Homes, said: "We are aware of an issue with pigeons at Regents Court and we are planning to carry out works to pigeon proof the building.

"We have taken expert advice and have been informed that the best solution is netting.

"Netting will be installed to the underground car park and around flat balconies, pigeon spikes will also be attached to all the pipes and bird fouling will also be cleaned up.

"We are working hard to get the issue resolved as quickly as possible and would like to thank all residents for their patience."

:D:D:D

Comments

:D

banana splits (08/08/2011 at 09:31)

what a load of bird lime

want to leave, Stretford (08/08/2011 at 09:51)

Urban pigeons are vermin - cull them

lovinthebanter, Manchester (08/08/2011 at 10:51)

don't say that, you'll have the animal lover spitting feathers

big g (08/08/2011 at 13:18)

kids in hoodies are a far greater nuisance

George Roper (08/08/2011 at 09:53)

Poorly built and designed properties what do you expect. Another great development.

Gimboid (08/08/2011 at 13:47)

How exactly do you design a block of flats to discourage pigeons?

mancreject, Red from O.T (08/08/2011 at 10:08)

They are flying rats that feast well on all the take away litter dropped in the ground by people who couldn't care less. The take aways don't seem to care much either!

big g (08/08/2011 at 13:17)

vermin - small animals and insects that can be harmful and which are difficult to control when they appear in large numbers

why exactly do you call them vermin. they generally dont bother us and are never harmful.

mancreject, Red from O.T (08/08/2011 at 14:09)

big g.They are difficult to control in large numbers and their droppings can be harmful too!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_pigeon_poop_harm_you

minnie royle (08/08/2011 at 10:11)

The worlds financial system in meltdown, riots in london....meanwhile in Chorlton.....

James S (08/08/2011 at 10:22)

Rent a few birds of prey?

Mike Sibbald (08/08/2011 at 12:35)

This is one proven method of deterring unwanted pests. It must be a cheaper and more humane way of solving the problem.

Mike Sibbald (08/08/2011 at 12:37)

This is one proven method of deterring unwanted guests. It must be cheaper and a more humane way of solving the problem.

Primary Pleb (08/08/2011 at 14:00)

I had a similar problem when I lived in a block of flats. Many solutions were tried including use of birds of prey but unfortunately any relief was only temporary. The only full-proof answer is netting. To reduce the chance of pigeons settling on your balcony you need to go out onto the balcony every day, particularly at roosting time, so that they get disturbed and won't settle. If they do settle don't allow any of the eggs to hatch as the offspring will try to nest in the place they were hatched and the problem will just continue.

Nick O (08/08/2011 at 11:25)

Apparently one resident is so destressed by the situation he is resorting to desparate measures by putting a combination of tin foil and fake snakes on his balcony to deter the flying vermin. The results so far are inconclusive.

Chicken In A Basket Case, Chorlton (08/08/2011 at 11:27)

I've news for the people that live there, £170,000 for a two bedroom flat in Chorlton is about average, 'luxury' they aint.

Gimboid (08/08/2011 at 13:48)

None of the residents said they were luxury, that's the writer's addition. Learn to read.

Chicken In A Basket Case, Chorlton (08/08/2011 at 16:08)

Yeah, but people will believe anything they read in the newspaper.

Black Sussies (08/08/2011 at 11:47)

I have found that bread dipped in antifreeze is a no come back solutio

Works great just ask the RSPB.

andy waytomakeacomment, Greater Manchester (08/08/2011 at 12:02)

And pigeons aren't a problem everywhere else? (!)

Some sense of proportion too much to ask for?

AJ, a passively strong opinion, Manchester (08/08/2011 at 12:29)

How did the pigeons in the underground car park get the ticket from the machine?

K C (08/08/2011 at 13:15)

Businesswoman Christine Sherratt, 44, who lives in one of the flats on Upper Chorlton Road, said: "We pay a lot of money to live here and these birds are ruining tables and chairs on our balconies.

Awww diddums.

The Ghost Of Troubled Joe, A Mystical Time Zone (08/08/2011 at 13:27)

They should buy a cat each and simple chain it to the balconys.

Mcr.Moz, Manchester (08/08/2011 at 13:43)

I have a problem with them as well, next door neighbour has loads of birdboxes all over his house and garden, and is feeding them everyday, more and more keep coming. What can I do to stop him!!!

citycentre, manchester (08/08/2011 at 14:29)

I recall a case of a court injunction being taken out to stop someone feeding pigeons, although I think this was taking place in the street rather than someone's garden so the same may not apply.

If the problem is very bad the council's environment dept may be able to help.

Maybe a cat (a bit of a commitiment) or bird scareing device?

General Disarray (08/08/2011 at 14:12)

Three hours with a rented large bird of prey should solve matters.

Flying equivalent of a pit bull terrier eating the competition works wonders.

allotment lad 2, Sunny Manc (08/08/2011 at 14:50)

Perhaps if people stopped feeding the pigeons several times a day under the trees adjacent to the Precinct on Barlow Moor Rd / Manchester Road the problem wouldn't be so bad. The bread / antifreeze combo there might do the trick...

Black Sussies (08/08/2011 at 18:02)

They drop like bricks after a feed on bread and antifreeze. Believe me.

gazzfr, jersey (08/08/2011 at 18:20)

try hanging some cd,s up with pieces of string the sunlight reflecting off them will scare them away.