House Price Crash Forum

Shorting Countrywide

camem'

HOLA441

now I know the market can remain irrational longer than I can stay solvent, however...

with tech floats enjoying a revival surely it's a fair bet that a fair few city boys *still* (see .coms) can't see the difference between a floated tech stock that has a real business behind it making stuff people want (eg CSR), and a tech stock that won't make serious money because (for the next few years at least) people don't want the service it provides (eg Rightmove)

this is supporting the countrywide price, as are American investors who are 9 months+ behind us in the cycle. Predicted outcome; a bad float for rightmove as property becomes recognised to be off the boil before the float, and a death in the countrywide price same day.

However, nervous about a shorting spread across an IPO as a stop loss would have to cover an opening day peak (even when lastminute bombed it doubled first), and I've not done it before.

any thoughts from you clever people ? justifications for rightmove business plan ?

HOLA442
any thoughts from you clever people ? justifications for rightmove business plan ?

All I know it touched 400 recently then fell to about 380 then went back up to around 397 ie it didn't pass the psych 400 level.

Presage of things to come - hope so.

HOLA443

One piece of advice, don't fight the trend however irrational it may seem. The market will make its own rules, don't try and be too smart and guess the exact high or low. Watch for a trending decline. Then short....or go long dependent on the trend

HOLA444
All I know it touched 400 recently then fell to about 380 then went back up to around 397 ie it didn't pass the psych 400 level.

Presage of things to come - hope so.

380 again...

HOLA445
HOLA446

Keep out of CWD unless your lucky. It's a share designed to drag money out of shorters. It'll drop big one day but that day might be a year away.

Remember if the estate agent business plummets then all the competition will go out of business and in ten year time CWD will mop up. And yes investors take a ten, twenty even fifty year time frame into account. Pension funds survive for centuries.