House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nmarks

Barclays Boss 'at Controls Of Cameron Jet'

Link

Didn't see this posted:

Millionaire banker Bob Diamond was at the centre of an extraordinary security row last night – after claims he was allowed to land the Prime Minister’s plane on a flight from Africa this week.

A member of the flight crew on the chartered Virgin Atlantic plane announced to startled passengers that ‘Captain Bob Diamond’ had carried out an ‘exemplary landing’ at Heathrow Airport on Tuesday night while David Cameron was on board.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2017083/Bob-Diamond--95m-Barclays-boss-controls-David-Cameron-jet-Africa-flight.html#ixzz1URw5hlbT

The first terrorist hijacking that doesn't end in a shoot out.

Regular readers will of course remember someone else by the name of Captain Bob. If only this one would do the decent thing and fall off the back of his yacht too.

Champagne was flowing freely on the late-night flight as senior government officials, business leaders and journalists mingled.

Passengers on the 300-seat plane included International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell, Trade minister Lord Green and Vodafone boss Vittorio Colao.

Any chance of Vodafone paying any tax?

Sounds a right little junket and reveals who Cameron likes to be surrounded by. Private Eye revealed his Chequers visitors list, City bankers, News International and supermarket bosses are all that the PM is interested in.

It was a private chartered jet so Diamond didnt break any aviation laws and he just sat in the jump seat...

If he just sat in the jump seat he may not have broken any laws (though I thought that in the aftermath of 9/11, strict new laws were introduced, EU-wide, governing who is and isn't allowed in the cockpit during the flight), but if he actually did play any part in operating the controls, then unless he holds a commercial pilot's licence, a type rating for the aircraft involved, an IFR rating and several other qualifications that I've probably forgotten about, he most certainly did (even if the jet was chartered, it was being operated for commercial gain and therefore its pilots require a CPL or ATPL). Even John Travolta, a very experienced pilot who owns a 707 and is fully type rated on it, is not allowed to fly it with fare-paying passengers on board, because his pilot's licence is only a private one.

If he just sat in the jump seat he may not have broken any laws (though I thought that in the aftermath of 9/11, strict new laws were introduced, EU-wide, governing who is and isn't allowed in the cockpit during the flight), but if he actually did play any part in operating the controls, then unless he holds a commercial pilot's licence, a type rating for the aircraft involved, an IFR rating and several other qualifications that I've probably forgotten about, he most certainly did (even if the jet was chartered, it was being operated for commercial gain and therefore its pilots require a CPL or ATPL). Even John Travolta, a very experienced pilot who owns a 707 and is fully type rated on it, is not allowed to fly it with fare-paying passengers on board, because his pilot's licence is only a private one.

Where can you still fly 707s? I thought they were banned everywhere except Africa.

According to Wikipedia, the aircraft is based at his home in Florida, so presumably it is still legal to fly it in the US. Maybe the ban is on operating them commercially (possibly on passenger safety grounds), but you can still do so as private aircraft. After all, there are far older historic aircraft still being flown worldwide. I saw a DC-3 (painted plain blue and unmarked, so no idea who owns it) parked at Teesside Airport not so long ago.

According to Wikipedia, the aircraft is based at his home in Florida, so presumably it is still legal to fly it in the US. Maybe the ban is on operating them commercially (possibly on passenger safety grounds), but you can still do so as private aircraft. After all, there are far older historic aircraft still being flown worldwide. I saw a DC-3 (painted plain blue and unmarked, so no idea who owns it) parked at Teesside Airport not so long ago.

You may well find that it is restricted in where it can be used due to noise considerations. The people who complain about airport noise these days don't know what a noisy aircraft is.

I knew he'd porked up a bit but that's ridiculous.