House Price Crash Forum
Milton

My Nimby Councillor

My Local Tory Councillor, lives on a street, in the estate behind my own. On Dale Rise.

He is going door to door, handing out letters, with only his home Address and home telephone number, on Council Letterheads.

These letters begin by stating that the Council want to develop the fields behind Dale Rise, where the Councillor lives.

[He obviously does'nt like that. The Fields have Always been used for Grazing, and local people walking their dogs]

He's found out that Representatives from a development Consultancy, have gone door to door, and offered 'Commercial Opportunities' to some of his neighbours on Dale Rise, whose houses, would need to be knocked down, to create an access road, to access the new developments.

[Not the councillor's house though]

The Developer have offered the homeowners, sums for their houses, far in excess of what they are worth. [so they can knock them down, and build the access road]

Traffic surveyors and census individuals have been working in the area on behalf of the consultancy firm.

A new planning application is imminent.

Bottom of letter, last paragraph states:

Too often local residents are kept in the dark until it is too late..............THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN IN THIS CASE!

I wonder if he would be as antagonistic and work as hard to stop these developments if it did not affect his own view? :lol:

Edited by Milton

My Local Tory Councillor, lives on a street, in the estate behind my own. On Dale Rise.

He is going door to door, handing out letters, with only his home Address and home telephone number, on Council Letterheads.

These letters begin by stating that the Council want to develop the fields behind Dale Rise, where the Councillor lives.

[He obviously does'nt like that. The Fields have Always been used for Grazing, and local people walking their dogs]

He's found out that Representatives from a development Consultancy, have gone door to door, and offered 'Commercial Opportunities' to some of his neighbours on Dale Rise, whose houses, would need to be knocked down, to create an access road, to access the new developments.

[Not the councillor's house though]

The Developer have offered the homeowners, sums for their houses, far in excess of what they are worth. [so they can knock them down, and build the access road]

Traffic surveyors and census individuals have been working in the area on behalf of the consultancy firm.

A new planning application is imminent.

Bottom of letter, last paragraph states:

I wonder if he would be as antagonistic and work as hard to stop these developments if it did not affect his own view? :lol:

Will you be grassing him up for using publicly financed paper for his own private use ?

Yes one around here (a libdem or independant i think, for the life of me i cant recall her name) is actually pro development, just not in the logical place with a decent road (which happens to be behind her house) but instead in, you guessed it, floodplain.

With such astute powers of analysis, you should be working as a consultant to the developers.

With such astute powers of analysis, you should be working as a consultant to the developers.

Unfortunately, most the media and public will accept the usual non-reasons

-traffic, noise, pollution

even if the alternative proposal is out in the middle of nowhere and in being 100% car dependant and having no local employment (which is the usual alternative) will result in far more traffic, noise and pollution.

Ive just noticed the 'In Touch Conservative' news leaflet as well. [The regular flyer which goes through everyone's door]

On the front page it reads: Education and First Time Buyers.

On the Inside Page:

Getting 10,000 people onto the Housing Ladder.

High house prices combined with banks demanding large deposits mean its hard for people to get onto the property ladder. But buying your first home is an important step, so in the Budget the Government announced a 250 million commitment to help first time buyers, paid for from our levy on the banks.

This news shared equity scheme, First Buy, will be available for first time buyers who want to purchase a newly built property but who cannot afford the high deposits.

It will help 10,000 families get a foot on the housing ladder.

Whilst the Tories, were in opposition, Grant Shapps was claiming that Shared Ownership was a disaster, and a complete waste of time.

Just who do the 2-3 million priced out voters support in 2015?

Because it sure as hell aint gonna be Tory/Lib Dem/Labour

Edited by Milton

They dont vote. Thats the trouble. Their parents tell them (like mine do) its 'always been as hard to buy a houses as it is now' (even though the figures re: ownership levels, FTB age, mortgage as a % of salary, nominal and real prices contradict that, how many actually bother to do research). A friend of mine recently spent nearly £400k on a house, his salary is a tenth of that although BoMaD means he was about 50% cash/deposit. What surprised me is he didnt even know previous sale prices are online, and didnt negotiate. This is an intelligent chap, too.

Most people arent politically aware, economically aware, or even financially literate. The words 'cant go wrong with bricks and mortar' is evidence enough in their mind.

When you have financially illiterate boomers passing down non-knowledge to their offspring, under the pretence it is fact, that not only goes unchallenged but reinforced by the media, its easy to see how we're in such a mess.

Well I'd prefer my local councillor acted in this way, rather than just roll over and let it happen like our one did.

I'm assuming most of the locals were not in favour of this space being developed, therefore he was just acting as spokesman for these people !!

It is also true that they try to slip these things under the radar, so that by the time the locals find out, its too late.

Well done to your councillor for highlighting the issue so at least the local people get a chance to have a say, as far as I'm concerned he's done his job.

Well I'd prefer my local councillor acted in this way, rather than just roll over and let it happen like our one did.

I'm assuming most of the locals were not in favour of this space being developed, therefore he was just acting as spokesman for these people !!

It is also true that they try to slip these things under the radar, so that by the time the locals find out, its too late.

Well done to your councillor for highlighting the issue so at least the local people get a chance to have a say, as far as I'm concerned he's done his job.

Oh there was me thinking he was objecting as the proposed development was going to overlook his house. Silly me.

Why do you assume most of the locals object?

By the information given by the OP, it appears we have another NIMBY spitting their dummy out and abusing their position to get noticed......

Ive just noticed the 'In Touch Conservative' news leaflet as well. [The regular flyer which goes through everyone's door]

On the front page it reads: Education and First Time Buyers.

On the Inside Page:

[/b]

Whilst the Tories, were in opposition, Grant Shapps was claiming that Shared Ownership was a disaster, and a complete waste of time.

Just who do the 2-3 million priced out voters support in 2015?

Because it sure as hell aint gonna be Tory/Lib Dem/Labour

Don't worry the CON-servatives have been 'buying' vote®s for decades!

One massive scandal during Thatchers watch was kicking out the tenants then selling cheap council houses and Flats in central London to Conservative voters only! :rolleyes:

They dont vote. Thats the trouble. Their parents tell them (like mine do) its 'always been as hard to buy a houses as it is now' (even though the figures re: ownership levels, FTB age, mortgage as a % of salary, nominal and real prices contradict that, how many actually bother to do research). A friend of mine recently spent nearly £400k on a house, his salary is a tenth of that although BoMaD means he was about 50% cash/deposit. What surprised me is he didnt even know previous sale prices are online, and didnt negotiate. This is an intelligent chap, too.

Most people arent politically aware, economically aware, or even financially literate. The words 'cant go wrong with bricks and mortar' is evidence enough in their mind.

When you have financially illiterate boomers passing down non-knowledge to their offspring, under the pretence it is fact, that not only goes unchallenged but reinforced by the media, its easy to see how we're in such a mess.

Big Business Brickies, Bankers, Bent Bast@rds - all down the line, would like to keep it that way too!

I dont think anyone knew anything about it. Until they received his letter.

.....Too Often local residents are kept in the dark......etc etc........THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN IN THIS CASE!
....It makes you wonder where the search for this access will end! Will they start to look elsewhere in the area?
I.E Are you safe?!
No objections can be usefully made at the moment, since nothing illegal or untoward is actually taking place.....
......It will be my intention to arrange a Public meeting in due course to fully discuss bla bla bla

etc etc bla bla

Edited by Milton

This councillor sums up everything that is wrong with our political establishment.

He is blocking new house building which is needed because it is going to affect his house price, never mind all the people that need housing.

I would be grassing him up to the local council for using headed paper, when you send in your complaint copy to the local press. Even if he purchased the paper it shouldn't be headed, he is not campaigning as part of his official duties.