House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Aggh My Leg Is Falling Off

I had a bite on my leg possibly from some bug on the allotment about a week ago. I scratched it yesterday and now I've got a bright red sore hot rash around it. It's about 2.5 " across now.

Treatment?

I've put some germaline on it but I don't think thats helped.

Am I just whinging over nothing or is there something I can put on it?

I'm not being funny, but when you say bug and bite..

What did it look like and did it hurt when it bit you?

If it didn't hurt and you noticed it then it might be a tick. Horrible things, if you brush them off their heads come off and stay in your skin so you have to twist them out in a specific manner else it causes major infections.

It was part of the reason I never took my clothes off in Russia in the countryside as people can lose limbs.

but seriously why are you asking on a HPC forum go see the doctor its hat your taxes pay for.

I had a bite on my leg possibly from some bug on the allotment about a week ago. I scratched it yesterday and now I've got a bright red sore hot rash around it. It's about 2.5 " across now.

Treatment?

I've put some germaline on it but I don't think thats helped.

Am I just whinging over nothing or is there something I can put on it?

I hope its not a tick bite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bullseye_Lyme_Disease_Rash.jpg

You could try an antihistamine cream available from your local pharmacy. Why don't you pop down there and ask the pharmacist, they're usually very good with their advice.

but seriously why are you asking on a HPC forum go see the doctor its hat your taxes pay for.

Cos it's not 2pm and I can't ring for an appointment yet AND i kindof feel like a fool for worrying about it at all.

And they'll have no appointments when I do ring and then I'll have to ring back tomorrow.

It didn't hurt and I noticed what looked like a bit of a scab on it. Every possibility it might be a tick bite.

(the bulleyes only occurs in 9% of rashes though for lyme disease - I'd already googled that this morning before doing any work)

Your local walk-in out of hours service is likely to be open, or ring NHS Direct

WIC 5 miles away.

Local chemist

Monday 09:00 - 13:00 14:00 - 18:00

so shut until 2pm

I don't really want to ring NHS direct as my previous experiences of it have been sh&t.

Second nearest pharmacist is open though

Monday 09:00 - 18:00

Bit further walk though.. Has stopped raining though.

See a doc. Sounds like it's infected. You'll probably need antibiotics.

Aye, had one last week. Whole foot swelled up and went a nice shade of sunburn, pains up my calf. Bright red splotch about 3inch across round the bite itself. Still working through the heavy antibiotics for it.

Interestingly after a few days on the abs, I stuck it in a hot bath for a while, and after a rather odd dose of pain (nothing from the other foot!) it seemed to get very much better. I went from walking like a pirate on the way to the bath, to almost no limp after. Very strange - colour reset as well. Still tender 9 days after.

If in doubt just head to your nearest minor injuries clinic. In my experience you get seen pretty quick and they are far better than A & E. They should also be able to do stuff stright away to help - unlike the doctor most probably.

I am still getting hassle from a foot sprain I got over 5 weeks ago. For someone who likes to do lost of active stuff it is ******ing depressing. :(

Anyway - I suppose at least it is still there and should get better sometime soon. Ligaments are a ****.

Until you get the chance to see your GP try some alcohol on it, eau de cologne has a high percentage of alcohol...it will help to soothe the sting. ;)

How are your Vit D levels?

Ultimately if in doubt see your Dr for a second opinion.

vit D - from that sun stuff? I am browner than a berry although only on my arms.

been pharmacy and pharmacist says "oh yes it looks like a bite here have some hydro-cortisone cream" ...

So if it gets worse then I'll go and annoy the doctors by ringing them up ...

Manuka honey is also a good natural antibiotic as well, £4.99 from Aldi's last time I looked which is half the price of what I have seen in the main supermarkets. FWIW.

That's tea tree oil honey isn't it?

Until you get the chance to see your GP try some alcohol on it, eau de cologne has a high percentage of alcohol...it will help to soothe the sting. ;)

I can soak it in booze from the inside... I have some strawberry cider :)

vit D - from that sun stuff? I am browner than a berry although only on my arms.

been pharmacy and pharmacist says "oh yes it looks like a bite here have some hydro-cortisone cream" ...

So if it gets worse then I'll go and annoy the doctors by ringing them up ...

Your chest and back are best for synthesising Vit D. You need to go topless down at the Allotments :P

Your chest and back are best for synthesising Vit D. You need to go topless down at the Allotments :P

Dear god no!

I've got a skimpy vest top that I kept meaning to wear to get my shoulders tanned.

Dont know

I've yet to find any research to confirm my assertion but alcohol is processed by the liver, the liver stores some vitamins like VitA and is also used to convert preVitD generated by the skin with Cholesterol from the saturated fat in your diet and stored in your body to make VitD.

Ergo, Alcohol causes scarring of the liver and is technically a poison so I would steer clear of alcohol if you are trying to get your VitD levels up as it takes about 12days for the liver to do its stuff, before the body starts to benefit.

ok so no strawberry pear cider (damn! That's another 2 of my 5 a day to find) :P

Manuka honey is from bees who feed on the flowers of the Manuka bush, also known as the "Tea Tree" to produce a honey that has anti-bacterial properties. Tea tree oil is commonly from the related Melaleuca tree native to Australia and is used as a topical antibiotic and antifungal for wounds that fail to close.[11][12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monofloral_honey

Bees make it from the Manuka Bush in New Zealand.

I worked as a beekeeper for a few days in NZ. Never tasted the stuff though. I am informed it is lovely.

When I get a reaction to an insect bite I immediately take an antihistamine tablet like cetirizine and bathe the bite with water with dissolved bicarbonate of soda to cool the area down.

Works for me but I am not a doctor

I hadn't noticed I'd got bitten at the time though ... was a few days ago.

I'm not the only one who's been bitten though... so maybe we need a bug eradication plan

That's tea tree oil honey isn't it?

I can soak it in booze from the inside... I have some strawberry cider :)

Manuka Honey is sold in health food shops, I don't know quite what it is supposed to do but it is very expensive, it has different gradings the higher the dearer it is..10 is about £24 a jar.

I was thinking of dabbing it on rather than drinking it, but it sounds delish......the only reason I said that is because I get bad reactions from insect stings the area around them swells up goes very red and swollen, you can feel the heat from the skin, then they blister and start seeping...not nice. The antihistamines I have to take are from the doctor you can buy other milder sorts over the counter in the chemist, they can help ...anthisan in a tube from the chemist is good that helps stop the itching...blooming midges. ;)

Damn right. Kill em all, and let the jobcenter sort out the fertilisation issues...

It'll be the bloody foxes!

Just thinking about it - there's only a handful of people being bitten - so it's probably not enough to maintain a colony of the things - so they'll be on the foxes I assume too.

(1 very scabby wormy fox with mange, 2 not so scabby ones, and 3 babies)