House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fishman

The Time Is Approaching......

I'm no economist.

But you don't need to be one to realise that the debt-based system is flawed, along with it's obsessive need for growth to pay for the interest on the debt.

What's wrong with an economy that organically grows at a pace of 0.5% year ?

The system is going to change - either voluntarily by Governments or by the markets.

The days of debt-based money are coming to an end.

I'm no historian...but this looks like a repeat of the great depression.

The solution then.....knock if all down then start again....i.e. large land war.

Except we might not be on the winning side this time. Add in narrowed technology gap, insufficient fuel to power advanced weapons and smaller numbers....

I'd add that wars are inefficient, as they destroy the potential of the youth, when its the older hoarders who are sucking the life blood out the economy.

Thus I expect a Russian sort of thing, where the currency is debauched three times so all prior pension promises are reneged upon.

Except we might not be on the winning side this time. Add in narrowed technology gap, insufficient fuel to power advanced weapons and smaller numbers....

What will the "winning" side inherit? a global nuclear waste dump and possible nuclear winter?

Let them have it.

What will the "winning" side inherit? a global nuclear waste dump and possible nuclear winter?

Let them have it.

Or, put differently:

An ideal investment opportunity with ample scope for redevelopment...

Let them have it.

Russia, China, Taiwan and India (has in development) have tested and have active Anti Ballistic missile defences. Moscow had one for decades (as evidenced by their internally pointing radars) China also has been building lots of bunkers recently.

Judging by post war Germany, Japan, Italy...I'd rather loose.

Not all wars are fought the same. Romans against Carthage for example fought an extermination war Carthage was sacked and the land salted to prevent it from ever rising again. WWII was fought as an occupation war. Who says WWIII will be an occupation war and not an extermination war...

In fact there is frequently a criticism of Qin Shihuang, that he did not fight a war of extermination. Which is why China is filled with Han people.

At the risk of being "injined" I'd say that almost by definition, money is debt-based. You can't have one without the other.

Cant you have money not backed by Debt, ala Bill Still?

Or maybe i misunderstand. He keeps going on about money must be valueless.

Cant you have money not backed by Debt, ala Bill Still?

Or maybe i misunderstand. He keeps going on about money must be valueless.

My take on it is that any money that is "in your name" but not "in your possession" (e.g. placed in a bank account, investment fund, etc) is money that has been lent out. If you don't want the system to be debt-based then firstly you must prevent people from putting their money in any type of "account".

You can also argue that by holding money in your possession you are a creditor towards whoever has the responsibility for controlling the supply of that money, and for ensuring that it remains legal tender. Usually the government. And if you don't do what the government wants with the money in your possession (e.g. put it back into the economy by spending it somehow) then the government will devalue it by adding some extra money into the economy instead.

So if you don't want a debt-based system you have to do without money altogether. e.g. start carrying a load of carrots with you to the pub so you can exchange them for beer or whatever.