House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
repetitive bleats

Noisy Renovations

My landlord has just informed me that starting next Monday they will be doing some major renovations which will mean we can't access the garden for at least a month and that we will have to put up with at least a week of builders hacking at the wall with Kango hammers. He accepts that it will be very noisy and that my wife would be better off taking our 18 month old baby out of the house between 8am and 4pm.

Anyone know of any precedents on getting rent rebates in a situation like this?

My landlord has just informed me that starting next Monday they will be doing some major renovations which will mean we can't access the garden for at least a month and that we will have to put up with at least a week of builders hacking at the wall with Kango hammers. He accepts that it will be very noisy and that my wife would be better off taking our 18 month old baby out of the house between 8am and 4pm.

Anyone know of any precedents on getting rent rebates in a situation like this?

Are you sole occupiers and is the work to be done where you actually live? If so you can put it to him that you want the rent reducing (say maybe 30-40%)and if he refuses you can refuse access to the property. He gets stung by the builders and the work won't get done-his inconveinience.

Edited by zebbedee

Are you sole occupiers and is the work to be done where you actually live? If so you can put it to him that you want the rent reducing (say maybe 30-40%)and if he refuses you can refuse access to the property. He gets stung by the builders and the work won't get done-his inconveinience.

Yes. The problem is the entire back wall suffers from damp and needs fixing (which is understandable) the landlord says its nothing to do with him and is being actioned by the freeholder for the building. My main issue is that he is giving us a weeks notice and telling us that the place will be pretty much uninhabitable. Plus although the scaffold will be going up then he can't tell us exactly when the work will begin so we can't even plan to go on holiday when its happening...

Yes. The problem is the entire back wall suffers from damp and needs fixing (which is understandable) the landlord says its nothing to do with him and is being actioned by the freeholder for the building. My main issue is that he is giving us a weeks notice and telling us that the place will be pretty much uninhabitable. Plus although the scaffold will be going up then he can't tell us exactly when the work will begin so we can't even plan to go on holiday when its happening...

Get in contact with your local Citizens Advice Bureau or maybe Shelter - at least check the Shelter website first they'll likely have some info about where you stand contract-wise.

I think part of the shorthold tenancy legislation says you are entitled to a home to live in. It sounds like if it will be unlivable during the renovations, the LL should be paying to put you up somewhere else. Similar to houses that are flood damaged and can't be lived in so the insurance has to house people. Otherwise I'd want a 100% rent reduction - what are you paying for exactly, if you can't live there?

Edited by efdemin

Get in contact with your local Citizens Advice Bureau or maybe Shelter - at least check the Shelter website first they'll likely have some info about where you stand contract-wise.

I think part of the shorthold tenancy legislation says you are entitled to a home to live in. It sounds like if it will be unlivable during the renovations, the LL should be paying to put you up somewhere else. Similar to houses that are flood damaged and can't be lived in so the insurance has to house people. Otherwise I'd want a 100% rent reduction - what are you paying for exactly, if you can't live there?

ICBW but I think you will struggle to show that builders working outside of the house from 8am-4pm classifies the house as uninhabitable.

What would happen if they were working in the road outside? Could the LL be liable then?

tim

ICBW but I think you will struggle to show that builders working outside of the house from 8am-4pm classifies the house as uninhabitable.

What would happen if they were working in the road outside? Could the LL be liable then?

tim

I don't know the details, just going off what the OP said. I would still check with someone who really knows what they're talking about though.

The only experience I have is when the radiators burst in the flat above, flooding one of the rooms in the flat I was renting. The room had to be dried out by those big fans for a few months - I negotiated I think about 1/3 off the rent until it was usable again.

With a young child I would say it's not really 'a unintruded/safe home to live in' if you have workmen bashing at the wall all day. And that is what you are paying for, at the end of the day. It's not like the work is something the OP has asked the LL to do as a favour.