House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Knotweed Fears For City's Housing Market Unveiled

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Knotweed-fears-city-s-housing-market-unveiled/story-13084467-detail/story.html

Knotweed is a big problem in Swansea, especially in Swansea West. I am hearing of loads of house sales falling through due to banks not lending due to knotweed.

HOME buyers in Swansea are being denied mortgages because the property they are trying to purchase has been affected by an invasive garden weed.

Swansea East MP Sian James has been contacted by a number of constituents who are having trouble selling their homes because the banks are refusing mortgages for properties where there is evidence of Japanese Knotweed.

In some cases, banks have been refusing to lend on properties where the plant has been found growing on neighbouring land up to nine metres away.

One Plasmarl resident, who did not wish to be named, said: "We have been trying to get a mortgage on a property which we intended to buy to improve.

"We were gobsmacked when the surveyor told us that the Japanese Knotweed in the next door garden would be a problem.

"We honestly thought he was having a laugh but he was serious. We have now given up on the idea altogether."

Now Mrs James is taking up their case and has contacted a recognised local expert on the subject to talk about ways of improving, preventing or limiting the effect this plant can have on property and land.

The Labour MP has also raised the issue with Swansea Council and sought advice from the Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux International.

Mrs James said: "Japanese Knotweed is a particular problem in Swansea and obviously these kinds of instances raise questions about the impact this could have on our housing market. It is of particular concern when the council has had to make cut backs to its services in this area, which is why I have already contacted them to see what more can be done."

Previously Santander, Lloyds Banking Group, and Barclays have said they would turn down mortgage applications if Japanese Knotweed is deemed to threaten a property.

Last year plans were announced to release an insect to tackle the problem in the worst- affected areas of Wales, including Swansea.

The bamboo-like plant can grow up to 12ft tall and push through concrete and damage buildings and it costs £100 a square foot to eradicate with pesticides.

Evil, evil stuff. They spent millions trying to get rid of it on the Olympics site. Oddly, enough it's under control in its native country. I believe there are some test programs to bring one of its predators (a bug) over here to try and control it. If you have it - it will take years to bring it under control and if it's in your garden you are liable if it damages your neighbour's house.

Where can I acquire some of this stuff?

river banks, many overgrown patches of land etc. But if you are caught spreading it, you can go to jail or face a hefty fine.

It was brought into the country as an ornamental plant (think by the Victorians), but they didn't realise we don't have the natural and biological constraints to stop it taking over

On a brighter note it does smother rosebay willow herb another victorian import.

It's known as gypsys rhubarb. I suspect harvesting it for food is the instant way to guarantee it's decline.

river banks, many overgrown patches of land etc. But if you are caught spreading it, you can go to jail or face a hefty fine.

It was brought into the country as an ornamental plant (think by the Victorians), but they didn't realise we don't have the natural and biological constraints to stop it taking over

Is that Knotweed or Krusty?

On a brighter note it does smother rosebay willow herb another victorian import.

It's known as gypsys rhubarb. I suspect harvesting it for food is the instant way to guarantee it's decline.

I quite like rosebay willow herb. And at least it's easy to pull up - I recently pulled up a mass of it, much of it taller than I am, easy as pie.

Would have left it a bit longer, flowers are quite pretty, except for ten billion seeds turning into ten billion weeds next year.

I quite like rosebay willow herb. And at least it's easy to pull up - I recently pulled up a mass of it, much of it taller than I am, easy as pie.

Would have left it a bit longer, flowers are quite pretty, except for ten billion seeds turning into ten billion weeds next year.

I like rosebay too - and I quite like dandelions!

The seeds spread far too easily though!

It is illegal even to transport knotweed.

There is a new 'executive' estate being built about 2 miles from me - houses on for 300K to 560K asking - which are built on the site of a former school that I attended as a kid. When I was in that school we used to have fights using big knotweed stems as swords that used to grow all over the school grounds.

I was passing the site the other day, watching the new houses near completion, and right outside the border of the estate is the most enormous forest of knotweed.

Amazing that it is only outside the perimeter fence of the building site :rolleyes:

Nah, I am happy to let the house builder try to sell the houses. Distant relatives of mine - mugs IMPO - just swapped a lovely house for one of the new builds. I wonder if they would have been able to get a mortgage if they wanted one.

Report it. See how much chaos the council create getting them to get rid of it?

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Knotweed-fears-city-s-housing-market-unveiled/story-13084467-detail/story.html

Knotweed is a big problem in Swansea, especially in Swansea West. I am hearing of loads of house sales falling through due to banks not lending due to knotweed.

Don't you mean Swansea East?

I don't know of any further West than Blackpill, or have they got rid of the massive patch behind the Roman Bridge?

Don't you mean Swansea East?

I don't know of any further West than Blackpill, or have they got rid of the massive patch behind the Roman Bridge?

Big patch by the Roman bridge and at the bottom of Derwen Fawr Road, along the banks of the small river that runs through the old Emmanuel School towards the Roman bridge. If you drive along the bottom of Derwen Fawr road now there is a forest of it opposite the car-park. Can't miss it.

Glen Road area is the other area in Swansea West - that Norton/West X area. I did not know that there was knotweed there but I have been told by several EAs of houses being turned down for mortgages there due to it.

The other place is Hendrofoilan Road area in Sketty/Tycoch with some of the houses in that general area. Again, I have been told by EAs of numerous mortgages turned down there due to knotweed. Friends of mine were stupidly about to pay full asking price - over 100K more than some greedy sod paid just 3 years ago - for a house in Hendrofoilan Road and no matter how much we tried to talk them out of it we got all this "dream house" nonsense. Thankfully, the banks turned them down due to knotweed.