House Price Crash Forum
jplevene

You've Got To Congratulate The Conservatives

Europe is failing, USA has been downgraded and the Conservatives inherited the worst deficit in History. However we have not been downgraded and albeit the economy is pretty gloomy we are still quite solid.

I doubted the Conservatives when they came it, but I am humble enough to say that they have proved me wrong. We are on a knife's edge, but we are still balancing.

Europe is failing, USA has been downgraded and the Conservatives inherited the worst deficit in History. However we have not been downgraded and albeit the economy is pretty gloomy we are still quite solid.

I doubted the Conservatives when they came it, but I am humble enough to say that they have proved me wrong. We are on a knife's edge, but we are still balancing.

Doing the wrong stuff in the least incompetent way is not enough. They need to be slashing the size of government in nominal terms, not reducing the rate of real terms increase.

Eventually reality will catch up even with them.

Edited by KingBingo

It'll be interesting to see how long they can continue to con. I suspect that now that the US economy has been officially rumbled and now degraded then the UK won't be that far behind.

Edited by billybong

If you believe that then I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might want to buy.

You do have a point. The problem is that the plan (loose monetary, tight fiscal for 5 years or so) requires such a long period of political will to stare down the public sector, and a dose of luck in that we don't get an external growth shock of large size either.

So whilst it has worked surprisingly well so far it's based on future promises we might find it hard to meet. That's why every time I see Balls or Miliband mouthing off I seethe; they helped create the problem and now want to destabilise a solution.

This website should be renamed the Conservatives are Wonderful, Down with NieLoboar.

Well, in five years when they are kicked out of office, most people here still won't be able to buy a house. They will ne Gordon Brown fault, of course.

This website should be renamed the Conservatives are Wonderful, Down with NieLoboar.

Well, in five years when they are kicked out of office, most people here still won't be able to buy a house. They will ne Gordon Brown fault, of course.

That's because a lot of people on this board have only known a time of unaffordable houses during their adult lives, have not wanted to get into such a ludicrous amount of debt, and then watched all that Labour created cause the whole economy to turn to rat shit.

Tell me, how did you form your political opinions?

Doing the wrong stuff in the least incompetent way is not enough. They need to be slashing the size of government in nominal terms, not reducing the rate of rate terms increase.

+1

They have bought us more time but the cockroaches will eventually crawl out of the nasty pie we've been slowly baking for the last decade or two...

The debt cannot be legitimately paid back, the only question left is how we default on it with actually defaulting on it. The answer so far is inflation.

One thing is for sure, the world is getting increasingly pissed off financing banana republics like the UK and US...

Doing the wrong stuff in the least incompetent way is not enough. They need to be slashing the size of government in nominal terms, not reducing the rate of rate terms increase.

+1

At the moment the coalition have managed to convince the markets that they're doing the opposite. Only the other day there was a story running on how in a period of six months, saving of three and three quarter billion pounds had been achieved in Whitehall. They've been so good at this act that the likes of the TUC are convinced that the public sector is being slashed. We know the direct opposite is happening.

The Political Classes kingdom is the the public sector, why would any of them want to cut it. Big Society is a cover for state controlled charities. Look at how we are deceived into believing that we have party politics. The fact is that our present parties membership has continued to shrink, there are less than half a million people voluntarily in a political party in the UK, or less than one percent of the population, compared to nearly ten percent only thirty years ago.

So yes, I can congratulate them, for being able to spin the markets for a while.

+1

They have bought us more time but the cockroaches will eventually crawl out of the nasty pie we've been slowly baking for the last decade or two...

The debt cannot be legitimately paid back, the only question left is how we default on it with actually defaulting on it. The answer so far is inflation.

One thing is for sure, the world is getting increasingly pissed off financing banana republics like the UK and US...

+1

Its pretty obvious that the Bank of England are trying to slowly inflate away our debts on the sly.

So far our creditors haven't rumbled this even if most of us on HPC have. So in a perverted way you have to congratulate Mervyn and the boys at Bank... :unsure:

They have thrown the towel in because since they got their hands on the books they realised the problem is too big to fix.

Instead they are going to just loot as much as they can while in office and do favours for corporations who will reward them when they leave office.

What's to like about what they are doing?

No public sector pay cuts

NHS budget guaranteed but most of it went on wages

Spending increases every year of this parliament

OBR predicts an extra £300bn household debt this parliament

Shapps & Cameron blocked the FSA from even thinking about mortgage restrictions

Bankers bonuses still flowing and FTSE remuneration off the top of the scale

Negative real interest rates

VAT up but such as BTL tax breaks still in place

Is this a joke?

He's got a point though, not that I think the economy is well 'designed', but the fact is the lights are still on, work has actually picked up again, people are still driving the mile to the shops, etc, etc, etc...

By hook or by crook they have/will kept the clapped out old wreck going.

Edited by chronyx

the fact is the lights are still on, work has actually picked up again, people are still driving the mile to the shops, etc, etc, etc...

Eh? The same could be said for virtually any country in the world.

Eh? The same could be said for virtually any country in the world.

Exactly - I don't understand what point you're making, sorry.

Is this a joke?

you see fundementally, the economy may be built on sand, but as long as you can maintain the ability to borrow more money you can make it to the next election. :unsure:

I clearly remember the Americans saying in 2008 that the Brits were smart by getting their currency depreciation in first - an action taken by the BoE two years before the Conservatives "took power". As far as the austerity program goes, you seem to have conveniently forgotten that we have a coalition government of Conservatives and LibDems. And don't go thinking the cuts were a deeply thought through economic tactic. They weren't. The austerity program conveniently coincided with natural Conservative instincts to cut spending in order to cut tax rates; crisis or no crisis they would have done it anyway. The crisis gave them the perfect excuse.

Edited by nmarks

No, the Tories are shit. But they are still much much better than Labour.

The problem with the Tories is that they don't actually fix much, they just don't make things any worse, they are conservatives.

Labour on the other hand ruin the country, they make us less wealthy, less free, less happy.

It conveniently coincided with natural Conservative instincts to cut spending in order to cut tax rates; crisis or no crisis they would have done it anyway.

So when are they actually going to.. you know.... cut spending?

Unless you can time travel you can not put right what GB f*cked up.

It is going to take generations to breed out the belief that debt is wealth.

(Or one almighty bad couple of years where people starve on the streets)

That's because a lot of people on this board have only known a time of unaffordable houses during their adult lives, have not wanted to get into such a ludicrous amount of debt, and then watched all that Labour created cause the whole economy to turn to rat shit.

Tell me, how did you form your political opinions?

Some will bite back in relation to such comments, but at least with past Conservative recessions it was really just a case of cleaning out the system.

In the 1990s loads of people used to bitch about the Conservatives because of high interest rates, and would say things like " I lost my house because of the Conservatives" when actually what was meant was "I borrowed too much living the 80s high life and want to blame someone".

I am not a fan of Cameron, but for now things seem to be going ok - but let's see if we get some serious riots and social unrest.

I clearly remember the Americans saying in 2008 that the Brits were smart by getting their currency depreciation in first - an action taken by the BoE two years before the Conservatives "took power". As far as the austerity program goes, you seem to have conveniently forgotten that we have a coalition government of Conservatives and LibDems. And don't go thinking the cuts were a deeply thought through economic tactic. They weren't. The austerity program conveniently coincided with natural Conservative instincts to cut spending in order to cut tax rates; crisis or no crisis they would have done it anyway. The crisis gave them the perfect excuse.

No so much smart, rather allowing the market to act.

I am sure things would have been better already if we had led HBOS, RBS go bust along with the US allowing AIG and hence Goldman and JP Morgan to fail.

I am sure things would have been better already if we had led HBOS, RBS go bust along with the US allowing AIG and hence Goldman and JP Morgan to fail.

Amen to that.