House Price Crash Forum
RichM

When Two Tribes Go To War...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenpolitics/planning/8686085/Ministers-go-to-war-with-green-charities-over-planning-shake-up-smears.html

The National Trust and the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) came under fire as they mobilised against new planning rules that they say put the Green Belt in peril.

The planning reforms are supposed to streamline complicated rules on new buildings, reducing 1,300 pages of national planning policy to just 52 pages. In a highly controversial change councils will be told there should be a "presumption for development".

The bold font was added by myself.

I'd rather they stopped mass imigration first.

I'd rather they discouraged hoarding of empty property first. Shift some of that burden of taxation away from hard work and onto hoarders.

Or even balance the criminalisation of squatting with an equivalent law against hoarding: real penalties for keeping property empty for more than some time threshold. Well, actually no, the criminal law would be over-drastic (unless perhaps in a national emergency), but the tax system would be just-right.

This is of course a great idea. Freeing up land is, well, free. A great boost to young people and business.

On the face of it maybe. I'll bet £5 that the prime development land is sold off to the usual suspects, that is big building companies and supermarkets, rather than small-time local builders or even self-builders. There won't be any requirement to increase/contribute to local infrastructure either.

It's a joke here in Cambridgeshire. There are a few ex or soon to be ex-MOD sites that are being lined up for 5-10,000 homes. The joke is that local roads are already full up. The A14/M11 junction area and A14 to A1 junction are regularly blocked. Just this last couple of weeks there have been 5 or so accidents during peak times. However the long-planned A14 upgrade has now been booted into the long grass due to the budget cuts...

Why not just build only in Liebour and Libdum areas?

Most population growth comes from immigration

Population growth fuels demand for housing

Libdums and liebours encourage immigration most.

Trouble is i suppose that where housing is needed, other than already urbanized London and a few Libdum citys (Cambridge, Norwich, Oxford, Luton Ipswich) no one votes liebour or libdum

Britain needs fewer people, not more houses.

Well that's not going to happen is it, so more houses is the answer.

And what is "green belt" anyway? It's unused land. Since when did a bit of grass on a field mean it must be protected? I like a walk in the country as much as anyone, but this country needs to get it's priorities straightened out.

But of course, I'm a dreamer. We know who's going to win, especially with the silver vote increasing in numbers....

Well that's not going to happen is it, so more houses is the answer.

And what is "green belt" anyway? It's unused land. Since when did a bit of grass on a field mean it must be protected? I like a walk in the country as much as anyone, but this country needs to get it's priorities straightened out.

But of course, I'm a dreamer. We know who's going to win, especially with the silver vote increasing in numbers....

Various projections say that it is going to happen, and green belt land is not unused land. 'm afraid more building on a large scale can only be damaging, and to avoid the necessity of that something simply has to be done about population levels. That's such a no-brainer that I'm amazed it's not at the forefront of policy. Until that's tackled then great care needs to be taken to provide adequate housing with as limited a negative impact as possible, and a free-for-all is sure as hell not the way to do it. Once the population is level then is the time to massively drop restrictions, particularly for individuals wanting to build their own place (which in any case should carry fewer restriction than large development). Remember that just about everything dull or ugly that you see has been created by people with your priorties.

If the coalition actually reduce a set of regulations from 1,300 pages to 52.. and actually get large scale development of houses going.. they have won my vote next time.

Not only would this mean a chance for an equivalent number of families to however many houses are built to have a place to live. But these projects create huge numbers of real, high paying jobs. Which then all the men involved in building the new houses and related infrastructure have cash themselves to spend, and that creates yet more jobs.

Britain is practically drowning in green space. 47% of the country is forests, 50% is land under cultivation, and 3% is urban areas. We can afford to go to 4% urban area.

If people in a currently rural idyllic setting want to preserve that setting, they can act in the free market and purchase the land themselves. All they have to do is outbid the developers. But you see what they want is for the government to disallow other people from building on their own land. And insanely Labour agreed with them.