House Price Crash Forum

RIOTS THREAD MERGED

mmmm

Westminsiter has it's own street mean estate, yet nothing kicking off there (apparently).

Yeah, you're right. Purely wishful thinking on my part! Estates all around off the Harrow Road, Queens Park and Kilburn. Could easily kick off here, no question. Not many exciting places to loot though. There aren't high street shops as such.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is always the case though.

One thing I find interesting about these riots is that the veil of police force has slipped to reveal something ineffectual. In fact, the over use of force seems to have actually triggered the problem, rather than solve anything. Therefore, we have to ask ourselves, what usually encourages people to behave from day to day?

IMO, it's the morality of people and those surrounding them. It's social pressure to conform and to toe the line. If enough people want to cause problems, they can at any time, with the police unable to cope, as these riots prove. All of those who have said that without the police there would be chaos, should probably have a think on that.

Ofc, private security/defence to protect your own property is something that will likely occur at some point. However, I get the feeling that the faceless corporate chains are going to have few people risking their lives to save them. Perhaps private security would be more likely to protect the things they are paid to protect, rather than stand and watch though.

I think people are genuinely surprised that the police are unable to do anything though. The news and the commentators seem to be in a state of shock, that a few bunches of angry people, can run the police and the fire service ragged. Maybe the penny will drop that it's not all about threats of force and violence, but more about social/moral networks, keeping those with angst in line.

Its a bit like fiat money really.

Once the faith is gone.....tick tock.

What happened to you tr1ck5t3r? All of a sudden you have become so authoritatian?

Are you falling for this blatant attempt by the government (by letting the rioters loose for a few days) at scaring the middle classes?

Due process is either a right for everyone or for nobody.

Indeed! Thsi morning at 3am I listened to a "journalist" live on air announce how he watched the looters set fire to the Sony centre in Enfield.

Anyone who could listen to it and not feel he was making it up must be brain dead.

I tell you, those looters have some seriously good firestarting skills.

Exactly what I thought, what about Harrods and Fortnam and Masons, why bother with Wimpy and Ladbrooks and a charity shop! Go up West and you'll see the police in action!

Strange how again these lawless riots are contained away from the gritty streets of Park Lane and Mayfair.

Why bother with Korean Plasmas when you could loot the Aston Martin showroom? That would be a joy ride and a half.

When it starts to seriously affect the rich, I'll seriously start to take interest.

Yeah, you're right. Purely wishful thinking on my part! Estates all around off the Harrow Road, Queens Park and Kilburn. Could easily kick off here, no question. Not many exciting places to loot though. There aren't high street shops as such.

Isn't there a posh car show room round the corner from Westminister estate?

Maybe not so much of the looting in these parts, but could still spill out of control.

Having too many young people with nothing to lose was always going to blow up in the governement's face. We've always said on here that Brown bottled it in 2007, maybe he timed his exit perfectly.

Edited by PopGun

Its my opinion the state have already lost control. This is one of the problems with Milgram, and another problem with the setup of society is that over the last number of years, people have been conditioned into not thinking for themselves. The nanny state has caused this problem.

The state (like the MP's popping up on TV) are hugely underestimating the impact the 24hrs news coverage is having on the psyche of the country. The 24hr news is fuelling the situation and as the state have already demonstrated in so many sections of society they are clearly out of touch with the mood on the street with ordinary people. Lets face it they have failed to nip this in the bud becuase they have not reacted with sufficient numbers hence why its continued over 3nights.

Likewise they are also worried that any "over reaction" like calling the army in, is seen as a sign of weakness.

Bottomline is the State are fighting for survival at this moment imo. They are not projecting any sense of control and these criminals are sensing the fear in the public and exploiting it. Predators which is what these criminals are can sense the weakness in society.

I think you need some sleep to start thinking clearly again...

The state hasn't lost control at all unfortunately. When Buckingham Palace gets looted, then you can say that the state has lost control...

It's just sunk in for me that these looters (at least the ones caught on camera) are children. Not disaffected students, not strikers, protesters or tax and food rioters. They're just utterly feckless, warped criminal children.

I've said it before but something has gone badly wrong in this country!

If you watch the footage in Northern Irish riots, it's often the same. Lots of teenagers, along with a few young adults. Many seem to be out for a ruck, but I suspect much of it is fuelled by a lack of hope and jobs.

Ken Livingstone actually made some good points regarding policy having shaped this. I actually agree. However, it's not the recent Tory policy I blame, but rather the decades of bad policy which has changed the working class into the benefits class. Where is the hope? Where are the jobs? The damage has been done.

We either go the way of cuts or the way of defaults, but neither is going to be pretty. The 'plan B' of borrowing yet more from the next generation is not going to solve the problem... it will just kick the can down the road to an even worse problem in the future. TBH, our democracy has failed, but like road runner, the legs are still spinning after we have gone off the edge of a cliff. I suspect it will take a few more riots for the politicians and the general public to realise this though.

Its my opinion the state have already lost control. This is one of the problems with Milgram, and another problem with the setup of society is that over the last number of years, people have been conditioned into not thinking for themselves. The nanny state has caused this problem.

The state (like the MP's popping up on TV) are hugely underestimating the impact the 24hrs news coverage is having on the psyche of the country. The 24hr news is fuelling the situation and as the state have already demonstrated in so many sections of society they are clearly out of touch with the mood on the street with ordinary people. Lets face it they have failed to nip this in the bud becuase they have not reacted with sufficient numbers hence why its continued over 3nights.

Likewise they are also worried that any "over reaction" like calling the army in, is seen as a sign of weakness.

Bottomline is the State are fighting for survival at this moment imo. They are not projecting any sense of control and these criminals are sensing the fear in the public and exploiting it. Predators which is what these criminals are can sense the weakness in society.

Suspension of ECHR for the time being, military-type courts and far tougher prison regimes on the way? What about an emergancy act of parliament to allow temporary state control of news media?

Might also give Cameron the chance to take control of the Government. Emergency powers mean voting temporarily suspended until this sorts itself out, "sorry Nick, we won't need your team for some time".....I love it when a plan comes together!

God, I've spent WAY too much time on the site!

oh well, its only the boomers property thats burning.

Indeed thats the crux of the matter. Burning down London would improve the young's prospects as it would make everybody equal again, its not as anybody born in the last 20 years has anything but a life of grinding poverty paying for the boomer generations comfy life style.

If you watch the footage in Northern Irish riots, it's often the same. Lots of teenagers, along with a few young adults. Many seem to be out for a ruck, but I suspect much of it is fuelled by a lack of hope and jobs.

Ken Livingstone actually made some good points regarding policy having shaped this. I actually agree. However, it's not the recent Tory policy I blame, but rather the decades of bad policy which has changed the working class into the benefits class. Where is the hope? Where are the jobs? The damage has been done.

We either go the way of cuts or the way of defaults, but neither is going to be pretty. The 'plan B' of borrowing yet more from the next generation is not going to solve the problem... it will just kick the can down the road to an even worse problem in the future. TBH, our democracy has failed, but like road runner, the legs are still spinning after we have gone off the edge of a cliff. I suspect it will take a few more riots for the politicians and the general public to realise this though.

+ an awful lot

At the moment, there's an awful lot of effort being made to blame it on "criminal behaviour". That will probably work this time, as the riots fizzle out. But next time? and the time after? One hopes that there is someone with a bit of vision in the current government, but I very much doubt it,

Peter.

Indeed thats the crux of the matter. Burning down London would improve the young's prospects as it would make everybody equal again, its not as anybody born in the last 20 years has anything but a life of grinding poverty paying for the boomer generations comfy life style.

Christ, do you actually believe this? Burning down the local furniture store will improve the lives of these people? How?

never watched much, just there was a picture on Doomberg I caught while on the phone to a client.

Surely their plasmas would need a TV tuner or sumfin to get regular channels...and they are damned heavy too.

Maybe they were after a tip or two?

They are only normal plasmas with the channel they use fed through an AV or HDMI. They show such as Sky Sports for betting purposes so you can watch normal stuff.

Maybe they just wanted to trash a place where they had lost some money?

Suspension of ECHR for the time being, military-type courts and far tougher prison regimes on the way? What about an emergancy act of parliament to allow temporary state control of news media?

Might also give Cameron the chance to take control of the Government. Emergency powers mean voting temporarily suspended until this sorts itself out, "sorry Nick, we won't need your team for some time".....I love it when a plan comes together!

God, I've spent WAY too much time on the site!

Sounds like the follow up of the Reichstag fire to me... :ph34r:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Reichstag_fire

Its a bit like fiat money really.

Once the faith is gone.....tick tock.

It's sad that people have been pushed into this though, regardless of whether it is right/wrong.

Without the police, people think the country would descend into chaos, but this shows that it can descend into chaos with or without the police, should the will be there. Therefore, what knits communities of people together from day to day isn't the boot or truncheon, it's morality and mutual respect (in the most part); the police are just there to stop those at the extremes, not to dictate the majority of daily interactions (they can't and don't).

There is a very simple reason why the army haven't been called in, and the police are keen to use minimum force.

London 2012.

As the violence has spiralled and started spreading to other cities, the police are now overstretched and it's only a matter of time before the army are on the streets.

After all that hard work installing latte bars and sushi restaurants, it's terrible to see areas of London de-gentrify in under 15 minutes.

Seems to be mostly non-whites causing the damage : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023667/London-riots-Looter-posts-photo-booty-Facebook.html

Riots seem to be centred in high non-European immigrant cities like London and Birmingham.The solution is simple , tighten border controls and bring back death penalty and the cane.Teach these scum a lesson.

Is it any wonder why this is happening?

I can appreciate the fact that a few nasty criminal types are out to loot and pillage, this is expected during civil unrest and is unacceptable to any normal folk, we all agree they need their collar felt.

The fact that the problem is spreading is a sign of much deeper issues , the government mouthpieces in the media are desperate to brand all of the participants as mindless thugs and yobs out for a lark, notice how they fail to mention the policies that they suported through decades of cronic mismanagment ,has added fuel to the fires?

For the last 20 years we have had succesive governments that have effectively created a society where the poor are getting poorer and the rich are getting richer, there is more division in the UK now than ever before, especially in London.

The average young person,even with a good education is going to find it almost impossible to have any stake in the society they live in, without this and some pride in your society you will have no respect for the lives and property of others, they know they have no chance of owning a home that they can raise a family in, how could they possible afford it when in most areas its over 10x an *average* income!! The bankers and the polictical elite have been stacking the chips against the average person in this country for years, why should the youth continue to be enslaved by the system, do we really expect them not to fight back? I wonder what will happen if this continues and they realise that the true enemy isn't the local shops and the odd police car, but the very people in Westminster that pull the strings?

This clearly goes way beyond anger at the tragic waste of a young life by trigger happy cops, and dont let those in control of the media and our politicians tell us different.

You reap what you sow.

It's sad that people have been pushed into this though, regardless of whether it is right/wrong.

There has been a growing underclass for about 20+ years now. With an absence of traditional working class jobs, and even an ever shrinking number of accessible middle class ones, the problem of a disaffected youth with "nothing to lose" is only going to get worse.

Labour managed to keep them stupefied with public money / sending them to pointless university and college courses, but now the money is gone... :ph34r:

Considering this was triggered by the police shooting someone, do you really think martial law is going to solve the problem? Do you remember where it took Northern Ireland?

There isn't a lack of force on the streets; it's much deeper than that. People don't just go rioting for fun. Something has been rotting at the core of these communities for a long time and no amount of guns in faces is going to solve that.

I agree that communications are playing a big part in all this, but calls to arms are usually met with shrugs, due to a date with the telly or the playstation. These people (mostly) weren't criminals last week, last month or last year, yet this week they are. Something has roused them and asking the army to kill a few more of them will see the state losing remaining respect quickly.

There has been a growing underclass for about 20+ years now. With an absence of traditional working class jobs, and even an ever shrinking number of accessible middle class ones, the problem of a disaffected youth with "nothing to lose" is only going to get worse.

Labour managed to keep them stupefied with public money / sending them to pointless university and college courses, but now the money is gone... :ph34r:

Seems like the 'surplus' generation/population aren't going down without a fight.

Indeed, and the raft of modern, cheap, communication tools that have come on-line over the last decade or so has opened this generations eyes to the inequality that has existed as long as the human race.

We give them the promise of Posh and Becks, and deliver them the reality of Wayne and Waynetta Slob. Small wonder they're pi$$ed off!