House Price Crash Forum

Predictions For Monday

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I would normally expect this to send the markets lower a couple of percentage points at least. Due to the fact that the market seems to behave in exactly the opposite way I would expect, this actually means the market will finish higher close of business on Monday by a percentage point or two. :blink:

HOLA446

last I saw today, the saudi exchange was down 5%. I think the asian markets will close well down, the european markets will do a headless chicken until the us opens. Throwing my hat in the ring, I see an initial us bounce by bargian seekerrs followed by a big slump but pulled back before the close. Expectations of special extraordinary measures will be high but no one will have a clue where to put their money. Best avoided by small fry like us.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Actually no, I'd argue.

As a small PI, you can get in and out with relative ease, it's the fund managers with many millions who must be bricking it as they could easily drive prices down tremendously.

OK, maybe I should have phrased it better: depending on your risk appetite, there could well be an extremely volatile market which represents an opportunity to make you a fortune or lose you lots of your hard won cash. The choose is yours.

For me, it's not worth sweating over; for you, it's a buying opportunity. Good luck and let me know (honestly) how you did. I hope you're not using any money you can't lose in this.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

It is difficult to call. The UK market could go up because of people taking money out of the US and moving it to a safe haven. It could go down because they think the UK could be next, or because of the usual "wall street sneezes, britain catches a cold"

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

President Oboma was on television on Friday night after the "Market Turmoil" (DOW was up 60 points on Friday) telling the nation "we will get through this"

The DOW is 18% from it's all time high, something does not add up if you are looking for the markets to reflect reality.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

It just shows how strange things are these days

The two largest votes so far are for FTSE down but sterling up.

Wouldn't it usually be both up or both down together?

Markets don`t seem to engage in rational analysis of the situation but rather to signals from powerful institutions. The downgrading of America will exacerbate the flight to safety, which means out of equities.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Markets don`t seem to engage in rational analysis of the situation but rather to signals from powerful institutions. The downgrading of America will exacerbate the flight to safety, which means out of equities.

Yes but when there is a flight to safety isn't it usually FTSE and sterling down together but dollar up?

I've voted for FTSE and sterling down.

Admittedly it's the first time the US has been downgraded but will people really think sterling is more safe than the dollar? Surely if they go down they will take us with them?