House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Most Bizarre Street Ever?

I've posted this in another thread but I thought I'd ask the wider audience here if they've ever seen anything like this - or whether it is a one off.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=M21+9NX&ll=53.448973,-2.280178&spn=0.008485,0.01929&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.449136,-2.280112&panoid=_mWyD6UCjtIFwslqRf1EOw&cbp=12,28.28,,0,-5.31

It's a wall across a street.

It is at the postcode divide for M16 and M21 (and possible the boundary line for change of councils but not actually looked that up yet)

If you know of other examples I'd be very interested!

Cheers

Apartheid.

Yes it is very strange, the wall looks like it was constructed around the time of the old side of the street.

Looks like it's there to keep the LHA residents out of the posh area? I have seen this before but not like this.

It's not because there are council houses one side and privately owned houses the other, is it?

Like the Cutteslowe walls in Oxford - mind you, they were demolished in 1959

M16 includes places like Moss Side, Old Trafford and Whalley Range, though I don't know what area is on the M16 side of the wall.

The inhabitants of postcode M21 9N (i.e. this bit of M21) are mainly "well-off professionals living in larger houses and converted flats, type 13 in the ACORN classification, according to Up My Street.

I think I heard about these (the one in Manchester surely can't be the only one) in a documentary about housing in the 50s. One side of the wall was for council properties and the other was for private.

Interestingly, from the Street View pictures, there isn't even a pedestrian gate.

Go to Belfast mate there are lost of streets like this one with a wall across them. These walls though are a tad higher and topped with barbed wire!!

They have a strange tradition there, half the houses (on one side of the wall) all hang Union flags from their windows whilst the houses on the other side prefer a tricolour.....

They also like a bit of banksy street art in the extreme on gable end walls.... :P

They are totally different dates of houses. The wall appears to be at the end of grange road, on the 1948 map it has something large at the end, Edward charlton road was then built at a later date. For whatever reason, perhaps traffic, they were never joined.

Link to 48 map

Edited by phead

Over the years I've seen many examples. Typically the barriers are just bollards or trees which allow pedestrian, and in some cases motorcycle, access. It's usually done for traffic management (prevention of 'rat-running'). To qualify though examples need to be the same street with house numbering which continues through the blockage (rather than being separate streets which happen to abut each other).

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

If the wall predated the newer houses, it seems strange to built a road right up to it on the same line as the road on the other side.

There are plenty of estates, both council / social and private housing, where there's a pre-existing wall, and usually a row of houses is built against it, so that it forms the wall of back gardens. I can think of several examples in places I've lived.

If the wall does indeed predate the newer houses, it certainly looks as if the planners intended for it to knocked down at some point, so that the new road would join the old one to become one thoroughfare. And as if somebody said no.

They are totally different dates of houses. The wall appears to be at the end of grange road, on the 1948 map it has something large at the end, Edward charlton road was then built at a later date. For whatever reason, perhaps traffic, they were never joined.

Link to 48 map

Ta chuck for that!

More research needed.

Over the years I've seen many examples. Typically the barriers are just bollards or trees which allow pedestrian, and in some cases motorcycle, access. It's usually done for traffic management (prevention of 'rat-running'). To qualify though examples need to be the same street with house numbering which continues through the blockage (rather than being separate streets which happen to abut each other).

Edit: Spelling.

Yes that's exactly what it is. The only odd thing is there doesn't appear to be pedestrian access. But that's not unique either. I know of one in Burnham where the road is chopped in half by a fence. I'd post a link to google streetview if I knew how to....

Yes that's exactly what it is. The only odd thing is there doesn't appear to be pedestrian access. But that's not unique either. I know of one in Burnham where the road is chopped in half by a fence. I'd post a link to google streetview if I knew how to....

Just copy and paste or find the postcode

Its odd that in other places there is no physical wall dividing the borough boundary and that that one is so complete. Maybe one of the local councillors lived on one side and wanted to keep the people from the other borough out. Not even having pedestrian access is just so extreme.

Its odd that in other places there is no physical wall dividing the borough boundary and that that one is so complete. Maybe one of the local councillors lived on one side and wanted to keep the people from the other borough out. Not even having pedestrian access is just so extreme.

You may have a point here, because the one in Burnham has a lot of council flats on one side, and smarter houses on the other.

Just copy and paste or find the postcode

I tried copying the url, but it didn't work when pasted. Dunno why . Not sure of the postcode.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=brandon+road+dartford&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47d8b19c9b21d317:0xcdf3d9a7fb8023c6,Brandon+Rd,+Dartford+DA1+1SD&gl=uk&ei=-XE9TsWMD8a3hAfJhOGdAg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

No wall but bollards and two trees. I seem to remember there was a wall years ago. Nobody knows why. It has been like that for as long as the oldest resident can remember.

Drag the street view icon to brandon road.

Edited by Freeholder

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=brandon+road+dartford&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x47d8b19c9b21d317:0xcdf3d9a7fb8023c6,Brandon+Rd,+Dartford+DA1+1SD&gl=uk&ei=-XE9TsWMD8a3hAfJhOGdAg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

No wall but bollards and two trees. I seem to remember there was a wall years ago. Nobody knows why. It has been like that for as long as the oldest resident can remember.

Drag the street view icon to brandon road.

Looking at the old OS maps sometime between 1898 and 1909 Marriott Road was added onto the end of Brandon Road but somehow they managed to screw up the rights of way between them. It looks also like that there was a wall across the allotments to the west of Brandon/Marriott Road, weird.

They built a bunch of those around here when we had foot-in-mouth a few years back.

There are quite a few fine examples at this site (though it seems as of right now you have to go back several months to find one in this category).