House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pezerinno

Benefits

I just had a play around with the benefits calculator (keep in mind I'm single and have no dependents) and it came out with £300/week. Once transport, dental care etc is taken into account that equates to a salary of around £22k - I don't have a chance of earning that sort of salary. Isn't £22k around the median salary in this country? Surely this can't be correct?

Don't understand how it would come up with £300 if you are single and no dependents. Sure it wasn't a month?

Single people get jobseekers allowance (£60ish a week) + rent and council tax paid, and thats about it

(rent would be a shared house/bedsit/small flat btw, not a 5 bed house!)

Sorry I did have it wrong. Just re-calculated and it works out at an equivalent salary of £15k which is still fairly hefty considering a lot of jobs around here are £14k or thereabouts.

Yep, whata major con, huh! If you've no chance of a job paying more than say £20k, it isn't worth working. Imagine the free time you'll have - use it to learn skills that may then give you the chance to earn £20k+!

Sorry I did have it wrong. Just re-calculated and it works out at an equivalent salary of £15k which is still fairly hefty considering a lot of jobs around here are £14k or thereabouts.

Housing benefit, highly variable depending on where you live.

Council tax benefit, ditto.

Pocket money: £67/week.

Perks: free NHS, easy terms on various services and leisure activities, tax advantages.

Ballpark total, maybe £200/week in a modest-cost area. Guess £15k earned income could put you in the same ballpark, provided your costs of working aren't excessive.

Deal a bit of skunk on the side, and ker-ching.

You need to be doing well in this country to have an actual quality of life better than a welfare junkie.

Deal a bit of skunk on the side, and ker-ching.

You need to be doing well in this country to have an actual quality of life better than a welfare junkie.

That the thing; if I progress from the 14k jobs upwards I'll be marginally better off however by that time I'll probably be looking into having kids whereby the goal posts are moved again.

Even more frustrating, if you do end up claiming benefits, then you struggle to find work without becoming homeless.

You need to jump straight into full time work so you can pay the rent. Part time work will often leave you worse off.

You can lose up to £1.17 for every £1 you earn.