House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Miyagi

Crazy Nhs

At the doctors today with Mr Miyagi Jr, whilst waiting to see the doctor women in her 30's appears at reception with what looked liked her weekly shop. On closer inspection it was in fact 4 plastic bags full of gluten free food that she had procured for free on prescription (I'm in Wales).

She was complaining to the receptionist that she was short of gluten free white bread. Having intrigued my interest I then overheard a conversation between patient and receptionist that the bread in question cost the NHS £22 but could be bought in Sainsburys for £2.

The three issues here are:

Why the hell are the NHS subsiding the dietary requirements of someone with a gluten intolerance?

Why are the NHS paying £22 for a £2 pound loaf of bread?

The sense of entitlement and the attitude of the patient was profoundly disturbing. Girl if your gluten intolerant change your freaking diet you moron, there are plenty of foods you can eat other than white bread and pasta, why should the tax payer pay for your inability to search google. FFS :angry:

Rant over

At the doctors today with Mr Miyagi Jr, whilst waiting to see the doctor women in her 30's appears at reception with what looked liked her weekly shop. On closer inspection it was in fact 4 plastic bags full of gluten free food that she had procured for free on prescription (I'm in Wales).

She was complaining to the receptionist that she was short of gluten free white bread. Having intrigued my interest I then overheard a conversation between patient and receptionist that the bread in question cost the NHS £22 but could be bought in Sainsburys for £2.

The three issues here are:

Why the hell are the NHS subsiding the dietary requirements of someone with a gluten intolerance?

Why are the NHS paying £22 for a £2 pound loaf of bread?

The sense of entitlement and the attitude of the patient was profoundly disturbing. Girl if your gluten intolerant change your freaking diet you moron, there are plenty of foods you can eat other than white bread and pasta, why should the tax payer pay for your inability to search google. FFS :angry:

Rant over

how did she get the bread...was it from the chemist?

how did she get the bread...was it from the chemist?

She didn't, they didn't give it to her, hence her bleating. The other foods were from the in house pharmacy.

So if I want free bread, I have to go to a pharmacist in Wales next time I've got bad wind? And they just make with the bread quicksmart do they?

So if I want free bread, I have to go to a pharmacist in Wales next time I've got bad wind? And they just make with the bread quicksmart do they?

You would have to move to Wales and as a consequence, be subject to a spanking by MT :ph34r:

I have a relative with Coelliacs. They are allocated a set amount of gluten free food each month by the NHS. This is dispensed by the pharmacy. I believe it did initially cost a lot for gluten free food in th shops or was not available at all as readily in shops years ago, but it does appear to come down in price in supermarkets and more easily found. The NHS needs to review the situation as things have changed.

It's only free if you do not pay prescription charges e.g. if you are over 60.

NHS profiteering by companies was highlighted last year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1295610/NHS-doesnt-care-cost-medicine-Drugs-firms-accused-profiteering-raising-prices-ONE-THOUSAND-cent.html

I have a relative with Coelliacs. They are allocated a set amount of gluten free food each month by the NHS. This is dispensed by the pharmacy. I believe it did initially cost a lot for gluten free food in th shops or was not available at all as readily in shops years ago, but it does appear to come down in price in supermarkets and more easily found. The NHS needs to review the situation as things have changed.

NHS profiteering by companies was highlighted last year http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1295610/NHS-doesnt-care-cost-medicine-Drugs-firms-accused-profiteering-raising-prices-ONE-THOUSAND-cent.html

Or in Wales

The sense of entitlement is astounding.

When I was in the pharmacy, a lady refused to pay £20 for an over the counter nail fungus treatment. She said she'd rather get it for free from her doctor on the NHS.

Guess who pays for it? The tax payer. YOU and ME. The cost for the drug, and the doctor's valuable (expensive) time for an appointment, which could be used for somebody else with more serious illnesses.

Maybe you should check your information before making yourself look silly. The origin of this myth was a number of newspapers that could not read a simple audit from the Welsh government on prescriptions

Truth prescriptions for 11 loaves each at £30 cost became a loaf costing £30, in fact the NHS pays about 30 pence more per loaf than the cheapest online supplier.

Simple google will provide the facts could try the Welsh Government site who replied to the garbage printed the following day.

Urban Myths forever.

Maybe you should check your information before making yourself look silly. The origin of this myth was a number of newspapers that could not read a simple audit from the Welsh government on prescriptions

Truth prescriptions for 11 loaves each at £30 cost became a loaf costing £30, in fact the NHS pays about 30 pence more per loaf than the cheapest online supplier.

Simple google will provide the facts could try the Welsh Government site who replied to the garbage printed the following day.

Urban Myths forever.

Do you think he's (Mr Miyagi) a few slices short of a loaf? :)

Forgot to add you must have been in the right place at the right time as only 27 prescriptions for this bread were issued in the whole of Wales in the last year.

Urban Myths forever.

roll up! roll up!

That's a bit like saying "Why the hell do the NHS subsidise blind people when I can see perfectly well".

Urban Myths forever.

I think we just discovered that "Analysis" is a multi-ID Troll. And now we know who his/her sockpuppet is :rolleyes:

No doubt "Analysis" will be along soon, boasting that s/he did some fabulous Dutch auction procurement exercise ten years ago, where they screwed the last two vendors down and got £5 off a gluten-free loaf so it only cost them £25. "Lots of happy people around that day..." no doubt.

(Except, of course, they had to pay £10 per loaf for them to be delivered, and Sainsbury's sells them for a fraction of that....)

But hey - at least our tax is being well spent, on our behalf, by such commercially-savvy trouble-shooting gurus... ;)

B

NHS profiteering by companies was highlighted last year http://www.dailymail...USAND-cent.html

There is only a small minority of people who have to pay prescription charges.

Many conditions result in exemption.

Any one on benefits/ tax credits (damn under 25 discrimination made me lose a day's pay when I visited the doctors once, I couldn't even afford the prescription whilst the majority of people in the surgery were getting them for free and receiving more in state aid than per week than I did for working full time :@ )

The Scottish, & Welsh get them for free.

Prescriptions are free in hospitals.

Anyone under 18 or over 60.

Seems to me like another half baked post by Mr Miyagi. No pun intended. ;)

:rolleyes:

It is indeed poor reporting. I'm a pharmacist (not based in wales). The average cost per prescription 'item' in the story is around £20.

To clarify, a prescription item is not one unit/loaf. Whether written as one, two or one hundred loaves, this still constitutes one prescription item in a similar manner

as one, two or six months of blood pressure tablets on a prescription is still classified as one item.

I'm not sure of the exact costs in wales but depending on brand is in the £2-3 range in most of the UK.

Its not to say that significant waste does not occur but this story misses the mark a little.

Forgot to add you must have been in the right place at the right time as only 27 prescriptions for this bread were issued in the whole of Wales in the last year.

That's interesting. Do you have a link for that?

I think we just discovered that "Analysis" is a multi-ID Troll. And now we know who his/her sockpuppet is :rolleyes:

No doubt "Analysis" will be along soon, boasting that s/he did some fabulous Dutch auction procurement exercise ten years ago, where they screwed the last two vendors down and got £5 off a gluten-free loaf so it only cost them £25. "Lots of happy people around that day..." no doubt.

(Except, of course, they had to pay £10 per loaf for them to be delivered, and Sainsbury's sells them for a fraction of that....)

But hey - at least our tax is being well spent, on our behalf, by such commercially-savvy trouble-shooting gurus... ;)

B

Check the facts.

Tuesday 19 July 2011

The £32 figure appears to have been arrived at following a misinterpretation of NHS prescribing statistics - which show the total number of prescriptions dispensed, rather than the total number of loaves prescribed. This data is available on the Welsh Government website.

Welsh Health Minister Lesley Griffiths said:

"This claim is inaccurate. The actual cost for the single loaf of gluten-free bread in question is around £2.82, not the £ 32 claimed. The £32 cost quoted is for an average prescription on which several loaves are ordered at a time.

"If a GP determines a patient requires these products, they should be prescribed to maintain their health. It is wrong to question the judgement and professionalism of health professionals - who have best interests at heart in determining what is prescribed. It is important to note that the loaves ordered from pharmacies are often not of the type routinely available in supermarkets."

Notes

Loaf of bread

Over the last 12 months there were 27 prescriptions issued for the gluten free bread quoted as costing £32 per loaf. On the 27 prescriptions, the total amount of the bread prescribed was 123,600 grams. Each loaf is 400 grams. Therefore, 309 loaves were prescribed for £ 871.36 ie £2.82 per 400 gram loaf.

That's a bit like saying "Why the hell do the NHS subsidise blind people when I can see perfectly well".

...anyone on a gluten free diet avoids wheat...why go to the doctor for a wheat substitute when all you do is change your diet to gluten free... :rolleyes:

..ps this is about the economy ...not current affairs.... :rolleyes:

Check the facts.

Hmmm....

So, completely out of the blue, and late on in the evening, it took you a tiny bit over an hour to miraculously find my suggestion that you're a multi-ID troll, deep in a thread to which you hadn't previously contributed (well, as "Analysis" at least.)

No further questions, M'lud... ;)

...anyone on a gluten free diet avoids wheat...why go to the doctor for a wheat substitute when all you do is change your diet to gluten free... :rolleyes:

..ps this is about the economy ...not current affairs.... :rolleyes:

OTOH one could choose to see this as a great cost saving effort by the NHS.

My wife was diagnosed as gluten intolerant. (bought our own GF bread before you jump to conclusions) Two years later they admit its not 'working' and decide an operation (substantially more expensive than the bread) is required. All solved within days of the op. Of course op could have been done sooner, but budget pressures .... gluten free was the cheap option so they tried that first.

If only economists understood the concept of "a stitch in time ....."