House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

Spain's 'indignants' Begin Long Walk To Brussels

Some 50 protesters set off from Madrid to Brussels on Tuesday - on foot - to voice their anger about the European crisis. The so-called 'Indignants' hope their long walk will draw attention to their two-month old protest movement.

http://www.france24....-march-brussels

I'm sure the eurocrats will give a sh*t.

I'm sure the eurocrats will give a sh*t.

But the Eurocrats might sh*t themselves if their man doesn't get a mandate for austerity at the upcoming Spanish election though.....

I was over in Spain recently, in the North and Basque regions, and came across a few 'indignados' demonstrations in city centres there. They seemed to have wide-spread support amongst the young.

If the youth get out and vote in force then the result might get interesting for Spain, the Euro and the bond markets.

It could be one to watch.......

But the Eurocrats might sh*t themselves if their man doesn't get a mandate for austerity at the upcoming Spanish election though.....

I was over in Spain recently, in the North and Basque regions, and came across a few 'indignados' demonstrations in city centres there. They seemed to have wide-spread support amongst the young.

If the youth get out and vote in force then the result might get interesting for Spain, the Euro and the bond markets.

It could be one to watch.......

Vote? Vote? Isn't that the thing that we use to make people think they have a say?

I'm thinking of doing the Jarrow march, but I don't think I can fund myself to do it unless I quit my job and strategically sign on and pretend to be sick on signing on day..

Recreating a march from 1936.

We ain't starving, but working people struggle to eat AND keep a roof over our heads in the current labour market. We need proper jobs or cheaper housing.

Precarious housing and precarious work is what we have.

Zapatero is toast, he won't be in the next parliament so watch him poison the well for the conservatives.

There are rumours that his party have invested a lot of time and money in infiltrating "the indignant" in order to divert them towards their causes and away from the reforms required to help Spain recover.

They have quite an incoherent set of demands as it is.

Note : We have a friend in Los Indignados (Oviedo).

Edited by TwoWolves

Zapatero is toast, he won't be in the next parliament so watch him poison the well for the conservatives.

There are rumours that his party have invested a lot of time and money in infiltrating "the indignant" in order to divert them towards their causes and away from the reforms required to help Spain recover.

....just like Nuliebour here.... :rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

Some 50 protesters set off from Madrid to Brussels on Tuesday - on foot - to voice their anger about the European crisis. The so-called 'Indignants' hope their long walk will draw attention to their two-month old protest movement.

http://www.france24....-march-brussels

Why are they going anywhere - the people most responsible for their crisis are in Madrid.

Why are they going anywhere - the people most responsible for their crisis are in Madrid.

Actually they are in Monaco, St. Barts, Mayfair, St. Moritz and wherever else the ueber-rich like to spend their time.

Actually they are in Monaco, St. Barts, Mayfair, St. Moritz and wherever else the ueber-rich like to spend their time.

They pushed debt.

Spain took it.

Spain's government took it.

Corrected for you. And don't come me with that "but they were democratically elected" rubbish.

London, the best tax haven in the world.

Corrected for you. And don't come me with that "but they were democratically elected" rubbish.

Nobody held a gun to their government's heads.

Simple - just pay back what they owe, and don't borrow so much in the future. Oops, it can't.

This all applies to the UK too, it's just that we have a few years leeway.

What next - mortgage holders of overpriced shoebox houses marching on parliament because they are hacked off about having to pay back a debt they willingly took on?

Nobody held a gun to their government's heads.

Simple - just pay back what they owe, and don't borrow so much in the future. Oops, it can't.

This all applies to the UK too, it's just that we have a few years leeway.

What next - mortgage holders of overpriced shoebox houses marching on parliament because they are hacked off about having to pay back a debt they willingly took on?

Actually, the Spanish government of the time was quite responsible (in that respect) prior to the crash, They often ran surpluses in the period 2000--2008, and public debt went down from 66% to 47% of GDP. In comparison, the Brit figure went up from 45% to 57%.

But the economy was heavily imbalanced, and this is where the Spanish government were negligent - perhaps even more so than others like Ireland, Iceland or the UK. The construction industry was too large a part of the economy, and people assumed that foreigners flying into Spain on holiday or to retire, would keep on increasing, and that demand for property would keep surging, thus financing the property boom. We all know the rest. Although tourism is now recovering, the demand for holiday homes from Brits (or others) who want to take advantage of HPI on their homes in the UK to finance a life in the sun, has gone. Unlikely to come back either.

When historians look back at this bubble period, they will wonder how leaders in so many countries got it wrong. The lessons from previous bubbles are known, there were even websites like this one (and burbuja in Spain) that warned of the probable consequences. It's scary really, and I don't know whether incompetence or conspiracy is worse.