House Price Crash Forum
Nijo

What Would You Do If You Had £10m?

This is a hypothetical question to see where people stand. I'm only asking what you would do regarding property - not how you'd blow the rest of the 10 mill. :)

If money were not the issue (say you won a few million), would you buy a property now - despite a possible HPC - or would you wait it out until prices were at more normal levels? There are advantages to each.

If you'd emigrate tell us where to... :)

Personally I would continue renting for now...

This is a hypothetical question to see where people stand. I'm only asking what you would do regarding property - not how you'd blow the rest of the 10 mill. :)

If money were not the issue (say you won a few million), would you buy a property now - despite a possible HPC - or would you wait it out until prices were at more normal levels? There are advantages to each.

For 10 million I wouldn't worry about anything again. If it was 1 million, I would wait.

For 10 million I wouldn't worry about anything again. If it was 1 million, I would wait.

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think any amount of money would sway me at the moment. Not because of my bearishness but because I'm happy renting (possibly due to the fact that I just moved in :)).

I'm a FTB and I would buy.

In about two months time our second child will arrive and we will have two kids in one quite small room. We would love for them to be able to have rooms of their own, so it would be a no-brainer for us.

We wouldn't go mad though, just a nice 4 bed detached near the local school would be lovely, and it would only wipe off 5% of the winnings. ;)

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Buy the first property I see, at least 200 miles from my home, at any inflated price for my lad. ;)

Oh happy day.

Buy the first property I see, at least 200 miles from my home, at any inflated price for my lad. ;)

Oh happy day.

I'd do exactly the same as you, Charlie - only make it 500 miles away :D

Guest Charlie The Tramp
I'd do exactly the same as you, Charlie - only make it 500 miles away :D

Nice to see you back.

;):wub:

I would buy land ..

Have my own house built in dartmoor..

It would have a moat and a batcave..

The rest.. fast women and slow horses..

any left.. I may flitter...

I've spent far too many hours working out what I'd do with my winnings - where they're coming from have no idea as I don't buy tickets for anything. definitely wouldn't buy - out of solidarity with fellow FTBers and because even if you have squillions of pounds no point chucking it away. I'd rent a fantastic flat for 3 years then buy.

Fraid they won't let you build anything on Dartmoor, apom - although I spose you only have to worry about that when you get the cash and in the meantime ye can allus dreeum.

I'd say that's a statistically valid sample by now. :unsure:

If money were not an issue:

75% of FTBs would buy

50% of STRs would buy

:ph34r:

Yeah I'd probably buy outright, to be honest. No crippling interest to pay over a long period with that arrangement.

Although there's more chance of the Earth being destroyed by a comet than me winning the lottery.

So, after a brief moment it's back to being angry, for me then.

I'd spend £1 million on booze and £1 million on loose women. ;)

I'd probably just squander the rest! :lol:

Me to.

But I'm also interested that given unlimited resources several HPCers would throw principles to the wind and as well as understandably blowing some cash on wine and women they would also buy a house. Think what sort of place you could rent on the interest from 8 million! Why the obsession with buying?

Edited by BoredTrainBuilder

£10million would not make me change my decision on acquiring property. If renting is superior than buying. Its superior irrespective of how rich you are. i would use the cash to get a good long term rental deal.