House Price Crash Forum

Adventurous Jobs

OnionTerror

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I used to travel for people, before the internet and SOCPA became all to common people who could not get away would hire me to bring 'stuff' (not drugs) to Eastern places. I remember a mad month about 12 years ago when I flew to HK, with some documents, then came back then went to Taipei, then came back then Beijing, then Singapore. My multiple citizenships and various visa exemption status means I can short cut many others.

Tiff - Is a globetrotters advanced tour guide. Its a fully supported tour company which charges an arm and a leg for their treks. She left in February and still hasn't come back. Pay is 100% tax free but since you are oncall 24/7 it works out at considerably less than NMW. You have to be an elite off road rider, an elite mechanic, and have experience as well as pass the off road trials they set for you in Wales. Before they will consider you, even then it is massively over subscribed.

I was > < to being selected to be a BMW motorad tour guide for Eastern Europe and Morroco. This was the job I was talking about 7 months ago. But I was pipped to the post by a bigger bloke who because of his size could do bike repairs faster than me. I really wanted that job.... oh the fact I ride Hondas and not BMWs (he had a BMW) meant BMW didn't like that either.

Danny - an acquaitance of mine makes a living by being a skydive camera man, he edits videos and builds websites to make ends meet. He lives at the DZ.

Sally U, ex pharmacist works as an instructor, insutructors don't make much money.

Bobby R, Ben H and Dave P are all skydive canopy packers, they can pack a parachute in less than 5 minutes. They get £4 a time.

HOLA444

Does anyone do something slightly out of the norm? I did initially think about national / european car delivery, but then I hear about the crap pay, and being left in the middle of knowhere (although some would argue that was part of the fun)...

On a similar note, a guy I went to school with delivers and sails other people's yachts for a living.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm a videogames sound engineer, there are probably fewer than 200 people in the UK doing the same job. Mostly office based though which isn't very adventurous... Have recorded fast cars, guns, helicopters and various other interesting things though.

HOLA448

I work on petrochemical projects in the Middle East (since 2009 in Iraq).

going back there in a couple of weeks. fun driving around the southern deserts of Iraq in a toyota FJ Cruiser, whilst keeping a lookout for UxOs (that's Unexploded Ordnance in "civvie speak"). New projects in petrochem coming in like a flood now. Basra has more asian workers than locals nowadays.

PS. my job involves doing Environmental and Social Impact Assessments for petrochemical projects, so I spend my time photographing wildlife, visiting historical sites and meeting village elders etc... (and some boring stuff like meteorological studies, air monitoring, soil and water sampling, geological surveying etc...

I think that's quite "out of the norm" for most people. :D

Archived