House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
liquid

Lest You Forget What Hpc Is About...

For those newbies it may be worth highlighting how much we all believe we (and they) will save based on our own expectations of a crash/fall in prices. For my part I am not STR or a FTB but on the ladder in a smallish house waiting with my family to trade up (3 kids now, getting a squeeze!) so my situation may not be typical.

My expectations are based on the market since early 2004 in SW London. Asking prices where I live are (IMO) 10% down on peak May 2004 (selling prices probably are too but no firm data yet). If they drop another 10-12% over the next 18 months-2 years (easily possible - I expect that as a minimum) then in buying the same house for £500k rather than £650k I will be better off to the tune of nearly £300,000 (mortgage principal £150k less, £130k less interest over 25 years, £10k less in stamp duty) - and that is without taking into account the returns I would make on the income I am not using to pay my mortgage but stuffing into ISAs each year for 20 years.

I fully expect to be at least £400,000 better off in terms of "lifetime earnings/net worth" - all due to a 20% drop in prices. Use your own figures and put a number on it.

[20% is of course a conservative estimate of falls...]