House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ursa Minor

Anyone A Yougov Member?

Hello,

I've just completed a survey on YouGov which asked, amongst other things, what was stopping me getting on the property ladder and what would help me get onto the ladder. Alas, a house price crash was not one of the offered options. No it was all crap about stamp duty thresholds, shared ownership and key worker schemes.

Huh

UM

were there ANY references to being priced out ?

Doubt it - would I be correct in guessing the poll is designed to justify whatever vested interest the sponsoring company is pushing?

Find out who has commissioned it is the only way. There's all sorts of interesting ways to structure questionnaires so you get the results your sponsor is looking for.

/G

Actually there were.

One of the questions was: Would you have gone to university knowing that the debts you would accrue would make it more difficult to get on the housing ladder? (I'm paraphrasing) Answers were basically Yes, No and N/A. I put N/A because although I am a graduate, I did not acquire any debt from my university education. This is because I worked full-time and went to Uni part-time day-release.

They then asked when I expected to buy a house (5-10 years), and why (house prices too high, paid too little). That's when they struck - had I heard about the "fantastic" graduate mortgages that would offer 102% of the value of a house I wanted to buy? Yes I had. Would I consider this to help me buy a house sooner? No.

I couldn't decide whether it was comissioned by a bank or some other VI. I don't care, they pay you to take part after all.

UM

Hmm.

I do lots of YouGov polls.

Didn't get that one probably 'cos I must have put homeowner in at some time.

So very interesting, obviously they're pushing how they can really refine target populations.

But I doubt they can pigeonhole me.

Yet.

I've just looked at the YouGov website, and was wondering how you redeem your money. E.g. you get £1 for signing up, how do I get my hands on this £1?

Also, how much are you paid for per survey (typically)?

J.

Priced out? You can't be serious. We should all accept our lot, realise that if you didn't straddle the property ladder 5 years ago then you don't DESERVE to own and whole home of your own and get involved in Government share ownership (where the offset benefit is that when house prices fall a housing association carries 1/2 to loss - wait till the government works this one out!!!).

I've just looked at the YouGov website, and was wondering how you redeem your money. E.g. you get £1 for signing up, how do I get my hands on this £1?

Also, how much are you paid for per survey (typically)?

J.

You get either 50p, 75p, £1, or (rarely) £1.25 per survey completed. When all your survey wages add up to £50, the yougov people send you a cheque

You get either 50p, 75p, £1, or (rarely) £1.25 per survey completed. When all your survey wages add up to £50, the yougov people send you a cheque

Actually I think this is a good idea, especially as you can 'have your say'. I might join up.

I am a little worried about the info they hold on you, the governments hold too much info on individuals anyway. What if the year becomes 1984 and we all live in a totalitarian state? I may be asasianted for thinking house prices are too high :blink: .

Anywayz, how often do you comeplete surveys? Can you complete one every day? I assume its by invitation (to complete a surey) only.

Just an update about Yougov. I can assure everyone that you do get £50 cheques. I've had four so far (in quite a few years). It's not a fast way to make money but it is quite good fun.

If you sign up using the link below you get access to paid-for polls and you will eventually acrue £50. Yougov then sends you a cheque.

These polls are quite fun. I just finished one a minute ago about Gordon Brown and politics etc. The results will probably be in one of the major newspapers this weekend.

Yougov link

Blurb about Yougov -

YouGov have been acclaimed as one of the most accurate polling companies, as well as being one of the most quoted research companies in the country, so by joining our panel you really can have your views heard. Every time you complete a paid survey you will receive at least 50p into your YouGov account, and when this account reaches £50 you will be sent a cheque, as well as chances to win other occasional cash prizes.

Did yougov just make a load of people redundent (on average salaries of 80k?)

Think they might have done. I read about it in the paper. They still send out polls though and I'm just about to receive another £50 cheque!

Most interesting thing about you gov, is WHO gets surveyed. You are demographically placed when you register and the sponsors presumably then select which demographic the want to survey. I joined with my father about 5 years ago. Me, single, no kid,s small diposable income, no house etc. Him...considerably more disposable income, house etc. I got about 3 surveys a year - I gave up on it after 18 months. He, on the other hand got about 3 a week - he cashed his 1st £50 quite some time ago - I dunno how many he does now.

Guest absolutezero
Think they might have done. I read about it in the paper. They still send out polls though and I'm just about to receive another £50 cheque!

Takes bloody ages to get to £50 mainly because most of the surveys are rewarded by 'prize draw' rather than credit to your total.

Hmm.

I do lots of YouGov polls.

Didn't get that one probably 'cos I must have put homeowner in at some time.

So very interesting, obviously they're pushing how they can really refine target populations.

But I doubt they can pigeonhole me.

Yet.

Yougov have a "universe" of a couple of hundred thousand members, of whom peerhaps 100,000 are active.

When a client commissions a survey Yougov send email invites to a stratified sample of this universe, with some techniques to send out further invites as they monitor when the responses they are getting form - or do not form - a representastive sample. So, as an extreme example, if everyone who has respnoded so far is mail they will send out more invited to females.

At least twice a week they run an omnibus on which one can purchase one or more questions - accepting that your questions qill be presented with other people's questions. You decide whether the resulting mix of topics will be agood or bad thing. You typically get about 2,000 responses This is relatively cheap and often used by the media to rush off a survey to get them some data to support an article they wish to write.

One can also commission a specific survey - where you decide all the questions. Again it can go to about 2,000 people or to a larger sample. Depends how much you're willing to pay. Obviously the smaller samples are cheaper. You can often gues what sort of organisation has commissioned the survey - particularly interesting to spot when a political aprty is using the survey to explore / test out political themes they might decide to push.

Takes bloody ages to get to £50 mainly because most of the surveys are rewarded by 'prize draw' rather than credit to your total.

Yes it can take time to buld up, especially if you don't bother to respond to the surveys. ;)

I've had 3 £50 cheques so far - but its hardly an income stream.

Guest absolutezero
Yes it can take time to buld up, especially if you don't bother to respond to the surveys. ;)

I've had 3 £50 cheques so far - but its hardly an income stream.

Been on it a year and answered every sngle one they sent me (and others they didn't tell me about)!

Up to £28. :(

Been on it a year and answered every sngle one they sent me (and others they didn't tell me about)!

Up to £28. :(

Ah well. Like all bubbles you do best if you get in early. ;)

It took me 2 years to reach my first £50 - that was in the early days when they were much smaller and did fewer surveys.

More people do it nowadays. Despite Yougov doing many more surveys I get fewer invites nowadays. So it takes longer to clock up £50.

Guest absolutezero
It does take time but you can hardly complain - it's free money, after all!

Yougov link

No it's not! There's my labour cost involved....

I presume some of you are getting close to £50.00 now? There were loads of polls in the run-up to the election.

For those who want to join, click here.

YouGov plc is a professional research and consulting organisation, pioneering the use of the Internet and information technology. It is not funded, run by, or affiliated to the Government or any Government agencies. As a research agency, we are commissioned by a wide range of clients from media, to academics, to companies, to not-for-profit organisations. YouGov therefore aims to provide accurate and high quality research to all our clients, allowing YouGov panel members the chance to voice their opinions on a wide range of topics.

Once you have joined YouGov as a panel member you will be sent survey invitations to your email address. The invitation email will contain a link that will take you directly into the survey. Once in the survey, you will be informed of the amount you will be credited for the survey, usually ranging between 50p and £1, the subject of the survey and also an estimation of how long the survey will take to complete.

You may also be invited to participate in Prize Draw surveys in which one winner will be given a cash prize.

Join Yougov.