House Price Crash Forum
mkz

Measures For Lower House Prices

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/faq

"If your e-petition reaches the 100,000 signatures, it is eligible for a debate in the House of Commons."

So, let's decide on some wording. I think we need something for each of these points:

1. Restricting lending;

2. Increasing tax for owners of multiple properties;

3. Removing tax breaks for buy-to-let;

4. Easing planning restrictions;

5. Encouraging building of more houses;

6. Getting rid of local housing allowance entirely;

7. Whatever else I've forgotten.

"If your e-petition reaches the 100,000 signatures, it is eligible for a debate in the House of Commons."

So, let's decide on some wording. I think we need something for each of these points:

1. Restricting lending;

Great idea! As well as the action points, think we need to re-emphasise the benefits to the UK and the economy of achieving lower house prices, as there are plenty of joe public VIs who are a long way off getting it

Great idea! As well as the action points, think we need to re-emphasise the benefits to the UK and the economy of achieving lower house prices, as there are plenty of joe public VIs who are a long way off getting it

Yes, but also keep it fairly short, otherwise people just won't read it.

How about all new builds or converted flats have to be of a liveable size? Not these pesky 1 beds so small hobbits wouldn't live in them.

I couldn't care less what size houses are built - as long as my tax money isn't used to do it, or to subsidise those that live in them.

Land tax.

It might be better to create a separate petition for this issue, so as not to scare off people who agree with the rest of the points but not this one. It is quite radical.

I couldn't care less what size houses are built - as long as my tax money isn't used to do it, or to subsidise those that live in them.

My thinking was that if all new builds are of a larger size this would reduce the price of houses of a similar size (due to more supply) and gretatly reduce the price anything thats smaller. Afterall why buy a second hand 1 or 2 bed flat if a new build 3 bed house is only a few k more.

My thinking was that if all new builds are of a larger size this would reduce the price of houses of a similar size (due to more supply) and gretatly reduce the price anything thats smaller. Afterall why buy a second hand 1 or 2 bed flat if a new build 3 bed house is only a few k more.

Bring back the Parker Morris space standards...

1. Restricting lending;

7. Cancel SMI

8. Ban liar loans (in all forms)

9. Licence and regulate landlords

10. Introduce Jingle-mail.

Specify a minimum habitable size and natural light requirements.

Enforce public health requirements such as a ventilated space between the toilet and the kitchen.

This pair of properties got planning permission but what they are building doesn't match the plans as submitted. to the council Also the dimensions given by the agent are measured in dwarf metres that are about a third less than real metres. I suspect they dare not show anything other than the front elevation with its fantasy chimney or it would give the game away.

I have taken photos and by counting the bricks it quickly becomes apparent just how small these two houses are in reality.

7. Cancel SMI

11. Cancel right-to-buy on council housing

12. Ban IO mortgages

13. No reductions on council tax for 2nd homes - Double, triple, etc..

I think that came under 2.

EDIT: In fairness, my 8 and 12 could come under 1. Full list with OP and my suggestions

1. Restricting lending;

7. Cancel SMI

12. Ban IO mortgages

Edited by Quicken

Specify a minimum habitable size and natural light requirements.

Enforce public health requirements such as a ventilated space between the toilet and the kitchen.

This pair of properties got planning permission but what they are building doesn't match the plans as submitted. to the council Also the dimensions given by the agent are measured in dwarf metres that are about a third less than real metres. I suspect they dare not show anything other than the front elevation with its fantasy chimney or it would give the game away.

I have taken photos and by counting the bricks it quickly becomes apparent just how small these two houses are in reality.

Just under 50Sqm for the 2 bedrooms, lounge and kitchen/diner. Looking at the floorplans, the landing, cloakroom and part of the bathroom are included in that too measurement too, as the measurements given are of the maximum length of each room.

Perhaps 52 Square metres in total.

Ban Housing Equity Withdrawal. You take your capital gains when you sell your house, not before.

Remove Stamp Duty, impose Capital Gains Tax on primary residence (set it to balance out if you want but better to treat it like any other asset you own).

Ban Housing Equity Withdrawal. You take your capital gains when you sell your house, not before.

Remove Stamp Duty, impose Capital Gains Tax on primary residence (set it to balance out if you want but better to treat it like any other asset you own).

Believe it or not before the relaxed regulations that helped cause this mess HEW or MEW was only allowed for home improvement use to improve the said home the loan was secured against and proof from receipts was required ....none of this holidays, cars, BTL nonsense.....the beginning of the end. ;)

7. Cancel SMI

7. Absolutely. Thanks.

8. Just to be clear, you mean that all mortgages should require proof of salary?

9. Maybe this should go into a separate petition, along with better rights for tenants.

10. Would you mind explaining to me the mechanism by which this reduces house prices? I'm sure it's simple enough, but I can't quite see it.

12. Ban IO mortgages

11. Absolutely. Thanks.

12. I'm inclined to agree, unless someone can point out a good reason to allow them!

I like both of those!