House Price Crash Forum
koala_bear

New Reality In Mercedes Advert

Young ad execs get air time for HPCer views:

Was listening to the radio in the car last night (LBC I think, was just flicking through the stations) and there was a mercedes advert extolling the virtues of their 3 year free servicing when you buy a new one:

"In 2014 when the majority of 30 year olds will live with their parents because they can't afford to buy themselves a flat you will still be enjoying free servicing..."

Done as a series of parodies that are actually true like the above quote.

It seems that enough of the priced out younger generation seems to be getting more senior in media organisations to start getting the views of the younger generation aired.

Heh...

A lot of TV advertising really puzzles me (when I see it no TV in this flat).

In that the Nissan Qashqai seemed to be targetting itself towards skaters..which is extremely puzzling as skater youths don't tend to have thr £40K for a qashqai.

Heh...

In that the Nissan Qashqai seemed to be targetting itself towards skaters..which is extremely puzzling as skater youths don't tend to have thr £40K for a qashqai.

Er, Ken, they might have the £17k-£27k though : Parkers review

Or at least, a deposit to put down and buy the rest on finance of course. It's not far off regular Focus / Golf money.

Edit: Isn't car advertising aspirational? The whole point is that it's selling the idea of youthfulness and coolness, whatever values the brand wants. Who cares if the people actually buying it are young and cool or not?

Edited by efdemin

I used to work for a major car manufacturer that used embarrasing puppets in it's adverts, who openly admitted their adverts were target younger people.

My comments that few young people can afford brand new cars were shouted down by the usual middle-management suck-ups who agree with everything senior managers say, even when it's clearly wrong.

qashqais are one of the most popular cars atm because they are the cheapest of 4x4s... you can pick up a 1 year old car for 10kish. Its a council estate favorite

Edited by AteMoose

I used to work for a major car manufacturer that used embarrasing puppets in it's adverts, who openly admitted their adverts were target younger people.

My comments that few young people can afford brand new cars were shouted down by the usual middle-management suck-ups who agree with everything senior managers say, even when it's clearly wrong.

At the same time, the same younger people will buy second-hand cars of that brand, which helps resale values, which is good news for the people who buy new.

So it helps sales, although the link is not obvious and direct.

Probably aiming it as this age group cause they have some cash saved for a house but its not enough to buy, so are trying to tempt them into spending it on a flash car instead.

Not sure how *anyone* can afford the cars aimed at them..

Probably aiming it as this age group cause they have some cash saved for a house but its not enough to buy, so are trying to tempt them into spending it on a flash car instead.

Should start advertising Camper Vans.. 'You can't afford a house and a car, but both together..'

Heh...

Depends on the skater youth's mummy and daddy - adverts are aimed at those who can afford to buy .....

:D

Heh...

Are you sure it's not aimed at solvent blokes in their 40s and 50s who see themselves as skaters in their heads? Today's equivalent of the oldest swinger in town, complete with unbuttoned shirt and gold medallion.