House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Indian Call Centre Workers Selling Uk Financial Data For 25P Per Customer

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2098893/indian-centres-selling-uk-financial-pence-user

Indian call centre staff are selling UK broadband customers' financial data, including credit card numbers and security codes, for as little as 25p each for bulk purchases.

An investigation by The Sun uncovered a former call centre worker known as Deepak Chuphal who sold the bank account details, credit card numbers and the three-digit CVV security code of 1,000 customers for £250.

Excellent we've even offshored crime as well.

I wonder how widespread this is in call centres globally?

Couple years back bought a laptop from Dell, I called them as I had requirements not available through their website, anyway gave them the business debit card and the bank called me a day later to query two transactions from Dell going through at the same time.

It turned out the call centre guy had run my card twice whilst I was on the phone to him, once for the laptop I bought and once for himself. The audacity!

Amazon also has at least one rogue trader in their midst which means I cant use my business card on Amazon, my bank just refuses to put any transaction to do with Amazon through so I have to use my personal debit card.

I bought some kit from Dell for my company on a lease deal via an indian call centre - I signed a 24 month deal and faxed the docs off- The documents I got back with the equipment was 36 months - my signature had been cut and pasted onto a different agreement. i imagine the fraudulent little shit I dealt with got a better commision for longer term - Needless to say, I didn't let this go until they gave me the equipment for free.

in terms of data centres, a lot of companies in my sector get ripped off by indian call centres churning and selling financial data. I suspect the data they got in the first place breaks all UK Data Protection rules.

For the sake of balance:

I bought a laptop from Dell via the Indian call centre and they didn't put through 2 transactions or put me on an HP deal.

I have also bought from Amazon without being defrauded.

in terms of data centres, a lot of companies in my sector get ripped off by indian call centres churning and selling financial data. I suspect the data they got in the first place breaks all UK Data Protection rules.

Inevitable consequence of outsourcers seeking the cheapest solution, and not the most efficient.

A well -designed system would restrict access by staff to certain data for each customer. It shouldn't even hold financial data - that should be processed by a third party.

What's the difference between an Indian call centre bunny and a Newcastle call centre bunny? The location and race have nothing to do with this. Giving low paid workers access to valuable information is always going to leave you open to fraud. You need to have the checks and security in place to prevent it wherever your call centre.

The natural consquences of corporations hiring casual workers who don't give a damn.

Hope they are well insured to cover all the claims. I'm not expecting any watchdog in the UK clamp down.

What's the difference between an Indian call centre bunny and a Newcastle call centre bunny? The location and race have nothing to do with this. Giving low paid workers access to valuable information is always going to leave you open to fraud. You need to have the checks and security in place to prevent it wherever your call centre.

The difference is the laws in the country and how easy they are to enforce, and how responsible the business is that employes the 'bunnies'.

Sorry, but the location has all to do with this. At the moment, most call centres located in India are full of low paid workers.

And BTW, the global village is a myth. All nations and societies are different. We are not the same even when put under similar conditions. Depending on where you live different things are socially acceptable.

Location does, your call centre employee caught in the UK stealing from others in the UK gets punished under UK law and gets UK porridge.

your Indian worker is stealing from somebody overseas and thus there is no juristiction to go put them on a porridge diet.

Hell at least with the UK call centre theif you can break their legs as they leave the call centre... try that in india.