House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Deckard

Storing Your Physical Gold Safely

My question is directed mainly at those posters who purport to hold large amounts of physical gold.

By large, I mean more than just a few thousand pounds worth at current values.

Several posters have stated they hold a significant percentage of their life savings and/or STR funds in physical gold, and keep adding to it.

Here goes my question: how do you store say £100,000 worth of gold safely?

Clearly, I don't expect you to tell me the actual location of your stash, I am just trying to understand how you deal with safety issues.

Do you hide it somewhere in your property (loft, backyard)? I would be terrified a lucky thief might just find it and make off with it while you are away.

And what if you are renting? Surely the landlord and their EAs have a set of keys?

Do you put it in a bank safe-deposit box? If so, what if there's a bank robbery? If the bank doesn't know what's in the box, how can their get insurance coverage?

Do you tell your other half and your kids (if old enough) about it?

Do you take it with you when you go on holiday?

Just wondering, that's all.

My situation: I was lucky enough to inherit a small amount and am not planning to sell, nor to buy more at this stage.

I just regard it as my TEOTWAWKI fund if the great reset actually does happen.

My question is directed mainly at those posters who purport to hold large amounts of physical gold.

Several posters have stated they hold a significant percentage of their life savings and/or STR funds in physical gold, and keep adding to it.

Clearly, I don't expect you to tell me the actual location of your stash, I am just trying to understand how you deal with safety issues.

Do you hide it somewhere in your property (loft, backyard)? I would be terrified a lucky thief might just find it and make off with it while you are away.

And what if you are renting? Surely the landlord and their EAs have a set of keys?

Do you put it in a bank safe-deposit box? If so, what if there's a bank robbery? If the bank doesn't know what's in the box, how can their get insurance coverage?

My situation: I was lucky enough to inherit a small amount and am not planning to sell, nor to buy more at this stage.

You'd be suprised what you're able to put in a small (easily hideable) fire safe :)

And just one of these pound coin dispensers can hold nearly £4,000 of Sovs at todays prices...

You'd be suprised what you're able to put in a small (easily hideable) fire safe :)

And just one of these pound coin dispensers can hold nearly £4,000 of Sovs at todays prices...

Right, so you put it in the safe and then hide the safe? What difference does that make?

Same goes for the coin dispensers.

I guess you could use a wall safe, but that's what any self-respecting burglar looks for first, isn't it?

Something tells me you do NOT have a large amount of physical gold :D

Just check out Youtube for some videos on how quickly some people get in to some branded safes. If you're going to use a safe (and good luck with that) it must be bolted down for a start. Then there's ratings to consider and a whole lot of ifs, buts, maybes and various factors to weigh up

I don't have any PMs, physical or otherwise, I think I'd be just as worried at losing the physical to a thief as I would be at the fiat going hyper after printy printy. If I had paper PMs, I might feel much the same as if I had fiat

Edited by inflating

If you had a £100,000 worth of soveriegns that only works about 400ish coins. That's not very much and quite easy to hide I wouldn't worry about a safe unless that too is well hidden and as someone said, bolted down.

Places I'd think about are hiding it are in a loft amongst junk. Or under floor boards. Places that are not easily discoverable by accident.

Places I'd think about are hiding it are in a loft amongst junk. Or under floor boards. Places that are not easily discoverable by accident.

Wouldn't that make you nervous, anyway?

What if you go on holiday for a couple of weeks? I wouldn't be able to sleep, thinking of my stash sitting there in unprotected in the loft...

The risk is just too big.

Right, so you put it in the safe and then hide the safe? What difference does that make?

I guess you could use a wall safe, but that's what any self-respecting burglar looks for first, isn't it?

The trick is to have a safe with some "sacrificial" paper money in it, then to have the real money hidden in the the fabric of the home.

Wouldn't that make you nervous, anyway?

What if you go on holiday for a couple of weeks? I wouldn't be able to sleep, thinking of my stash sitting there in unprotected in the loft...

The risk is just too big.

Yes, for example, I would be so worried that my gold was in a paint tin in the garage under the other hundred paint tins. :lol:

Or you could leave paper fiat savings in a bank and be guaranteed to be robbed of its value.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

The trick is to have a safe with some "sacrificial" paper money in it, then to have the real money hidden in the the fabric of the home.

What if you are renting?

Do you drill a hole in the wall, hide the gold in it and spackle it closed - without telling the landlord? :blink:

Edited by Deckard

Yes, for example, I would be so worried that my gold was in a paint tin in the garage under the other hundred paint tins. :lol:

Is this theoretical, or do you actually have that size stash hidden with a similar arrangement?

EDIT: I'm not being argumentative: that's very much like I keep my small stash - I just wouldn't do it with a large amount, but hey, that's me :D

Edited by Deckard

I don't rent, so a landlord poking around doesn't worry me.

Having a firesafe is not to stop it walking but merely to protect the contents in the event your house burns down.

The point about a small firesafe is that it's easy to hide, top of my head example: you could stick it in your washing basket under a pile of dirty clothes. :D

Surely most thieves will be looking to get in and out quick and liberate stuff that's on display and easy to sell like electrical goods or jewellery, etc??? I'd hope they wouldn't be checking your washing basket on the offchance you've got a stash of something valuable there.

The dispensers were an example of the volume taken up by the coins rather than a suggestion for hiding stuff.

£100,000 of Sovs would fit into 25 of those dispensers and take up less space than 6 cans of coke.

The point i'm trying to make is you wouldn't need a very big firesafe to store £100,000 of gold and I don't believe it would be difficult to creatively hide such a small item somewhere on your premises.

But if the thought of having that much potentially nickable gold in your house scares you then you're looking to pay someone else to look after it. Personally I want it onsite where I can cackle, touch it and go "my precious...." :D:D:D

Is this theoretical, or do you actually have that size stash hidden with a similar arrangement?

EDIT: I'm not being argumentative: that's very much like I keep my small stash - I just wouldn't do it with a large amount, but hey, that's me :D

It's theoretical to demonstrate the mundane places one could use. Like you, I would not put it in one place. Spread it about!

What if you are renting?

Do you drill a hole in the wall, hide the gold in it and spackle it closed - without telling the landlord? :blink:

My opinion would be to utilise the existing fittings and voids of the house to hide things, which would allow ease of access and easily put right afterwards. I would not tell the landlord anything.

My question is directed mainly at those posters who purport to hold large amounts of physical gold.......my question: how do you store say £100,000 worth of gold safely? .....

The first £100,000 worth of gold was the hardest, after that it got easier.

Digger Mansions now has it's own method of dealing with the liquidity, and even gets a spot of fractionalisation in to the equation as well.

Go in to Tesco's with 1 oz Britannia, spend £12, and pay with the Britannia, collect your 88 sovereigns change, and leave quick.

Then put proceeds in deed box in bank. Simples.

..._

Go in to Tesco's with 1 oz Britannia, spend £12, and pay with the Britannia, collect your 88 sovereigns change, and leave quick.

Then put proceeds in deed box in bank. Simples.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't know the answer to your questions, which is why I don't have any gold.

Same advice for £10K or £1M?

£10k is easy, 10x 1oz coins, about the size of a pepper pot.

£1m in Gold at the current price would fit in a 11.64cm cube, this could be hidden inside virtually anything that is large enough and out in the open. If lifted the weight would give it away since it would be over 30kg :)

Edited by MrFlibble

£10k is easy, 10x 1oz coins, about the size of a pepper pot.

£1m in Gold at the current price would fit in a 11.64cm cube, this could be hidden inside virtually anything that is large enough and out in the open. If lifted the weight would give it away since it would be over 30kg :)

As I've said before, you could bury it on Hampstead Heath and hope that George Michael's dog doesn't dig it up :rolleyes:.

You could always have a decoy safe, one you just put under your bed with a couple of bricks in to give it weight. Then put your real Gold in a cardboard box marked 'Charity clothes' or something. Although this wouldn't protect them from a fire obviously.

Same advice for £10K or £1M?

Amounts doesn't matter if you follow rule number 1. Who will know unless you blab? This is the key.