House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JustAnotherProle

Evict Rogue Landlords!

This may be of interest to some of you.

Shelters campaign to improve tenants protection , Sign up HERE

What’s the problem?

We know renting a home can be a risky business. A minority of rogue landlords still operate in the UK and are getting away with harassing their tenants and letting out homes in appalling conditions.

The problem is big

7.5 million people say they have experienced problems with their landlord in the past ten years.

Three million people tried to talk to their landlord about the problem but they did nothing to fix it.

More than 350,000 people have been threatened or lived in a property where another tenant was threatened by their landlord.

More than half a million people were too scared of what might happen if they complained so they kept quiet.

One million people were charged excessive fees for the services provided by their landlord.

Show your support

Nearly two-thirds of people agree that there need to be stronger rules for landlords to follow to protect tenants.

yeah, but, it all takes too long to do the papers for the lawyers to argue over et al.

The CandE knew how to deal with bad payers...they had a judge in the car when the Gman went to collect.

Nonpayment meant the judge would sign the closure order there and then...firms paid up.

They could clear this up in 6 months if they had the will to do it.

The mobile judge would see for himself the evidence, the squalor, the suffering. Make the order there and then.

This may be of interest to some of you.

Shelters campaign to improve tenants protection , Sign up HERE

Letting out homes in appalling conditions? Why not just walk away and find a better place? Bad landlords would soon go bust.

Ah, but we have housing benefit, perverting the market place. Without HB, there wouldnt be the problem highlighted on C4. The appalling problems we saw there, were due to HB, and uncontrolled immigration. Net result, landlords can provide rock bottom accommodation at premium prices at the taxpayers expense, and tenants dont have the leverage of being able to walk away as they are not paying for it.

Letting out homes in appalling conditions? Why not just walk away and find a better place? Bad landlords would soon go bust.

Ah, but we have housing benefit, perverting the market place. Without HB, there wouldnt be the problem highlighted on C4. The appalling problems we saw there, were due to HB, and uncontrolled immigration. Net result, landlords can provide rock bottom accommodation at premium prices at the taxpayers expense, and tenants dont have the leverage of being able to walk away as they are not paying for it.

HB and no balls in the councils....surely, if they have lets say, 5 complaints about a serial landlord, then the council will, as a matter of priority, vet EVERY property they have BEFORE making a SINGLE payment.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HB and no balls in the councils....surely, if they have lets say, 5 complaints about a serial landlord, then the council will, as a matter of priority, vet EVERY property they have BEFORE making a SINGLE payment.

Well better still, have a citizens income and a progressive land value tax. That way the council wouldnt be involved. It would then be up to the individual to decide what to do with their money, and they can choose to stay or go, and suffer the consequences.

A progressive land value tax would make it economically impossible to have a large portfolio of BTL's if the rates were set correctly.

I agree with the earlier poster too, a mobile judge would be a great idea. They could protect landlords from bad tenants too.

Why not have tighter rules for licencing land-lords and the properties that they rent out.

The following would in my view be a good start:

• The same rules for the structure and fittings of the building private rented accommodation as local authority; including a minimum level of energy efficiency. As well as a periodic MOT type test before a property can be let out.
  • Landlords to have disclosure checks and banned if they have anything too dodgy in their criminal records.
  • Landlords to have at least a certain percentage of equity in the house at all times with a ban on interest only mortgages and MEW for BTL properties.
  • An end to the mortgage tax relief for BTL and harmonisation of the CGT rules with other investments.
  • Landlords to have to have either an adequate contingency fund to pay for general repairs and maintenance or else some other method for paying for these such as an insurance policy.
  • The sitting tenant's right to continue to stay for the term of the lease should prevail in the case of repossessions (ed. or if the landlord is banned from letting out the property having failed to meet the rules above).
Edited by Diver Dan

Well better still, have a citizens income and a progressive land value tax. That way the council wouldnt be involved. It would then be up to the individual to decide what to do with their money, and they can choose to stay or go, and suffer the consequences.

A progressive land value tax would make it economically impossible to have a large portfolio of BTL's if the rates were set correctly.

I agree with the earlier poster too, a mobile judge would be a great idea. They could protect landlords from bad tenants too.

Mobile judge you say

dreddss.jpg

Why not have tighter rules for licencing land-lords and the properties that they rent out.

The following would in my view be a good start:

• The same rules for the structure and fittings of the building private rented accommodation as local authority; including a minimum level of energy efficiency. As well as a periodic MOT type test before a property can be let out.
  • Landlords to have disclosure checks and banned if they have anything too dodgy in their criminal records.
  • Landlords to have at least a certain percentage of equity in the house at all times with a ban on interest only mortgages and MEW for BTL properties.

Running a BTL "business" relys upon MEWing the current one to buy the next.

You are never going to get that agreed.

And why should there be a ban on IO? The LL needs the house for nothing other than to rent to people.

tim

Edited by tim123

Mobile judge you say

dreddss.jpg

Well I was hoping for something a bit more mobile and less wooden than Stallone. But that is at least in the direction of what I was thinking. Firm but Fair.

I remember a JD comic strip where someone from Britain managed to swim the polluted Atlantic to get to Mega-City One. Judge Dredd sent him to swim back because he didnt have the correct paperwork. It is the sort of officious honesty you hope for from your law enforcers.

Running a BTL "business" relys upon MEWing the current one to buy the next.

You are never going to get that agreed.

And why should there be a ban on IO? The LL needs the house for nothing other than to rent to people.

tim

From what I have seen, the best, most responsible landlords are the ones who own 100% the property they let out.

A gradual reduction of the private rented sector by confining it to more responsible landlords would be better for all concerned. The best way for this reduction to happen, in my opinion, is through regulation before taxation. Excess housing would then be fed back into the owner-occupier market or the social-housing sector.

From what I have seen, the best, most responsible landlords are the ones who own 100% the property they let out.

A gradual reduction of the private rented sector by confining it to more responsible landlords would be better for all concerned. The best way for this reduction to happen, in my opinion, is through regulation before taxation. Excess housing would then be fed back into the owner-occupier market or the social-housing sector.

That is not my experience.

the best LLs are from the set that do it as a business.

It's impossible to do that without having a mortgage on the property.

YMMV

tim

That is not my experience.

the best LLs are from the set that do it as a business.

It's impossible to do that without having a mortgage on the property.

YMMV

tim

I know two who own outright and run as a business.

:)