House Price Crash Forum

Diagnosis By Cravings?

SarahBell

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2021741/After-Elsie-Cambells-addiction-lettuce-food-cravings-say-health.html

Didn't want to derail the other thread.

The site mentioned in it

http://www.questionmyhealth.com/

I have been wanting to eat more crisps recently. Crisps instead of chocolate!

When I was having my son I craved iced fizzy water. Drank gallons of the stuff.

HOLA442

You have been influenced by Gary Lineker's advert! ;)

HOLA443

I crave sugar sometimes, only I think because I take very little of it...not got a sweet tooth....so yes, having a healthy craving must be your body telling you you are short of certain nutrients to maintain a healthy balance.....like most things in life excess of anything good can counteract what was once good for you. ;)

HOLA444

http://www.dailymail...say-health.html

Didn't want to derail the other thread.

The site mentioned in it

http://www.questionmyhealth.com/

When I was having my son I craved iced fizzy water. Drank gallons of the stuff.

I've been vegetarian for about 18 years. I never actually get cravings for meat, though I do sometimes get cravings for yoghourt - specifically those little Petit Filous pots.

I'd thought that chocolate causes the brain to release dopamine which is the same chemical that amphetamines like speed also release.

I do think the body does try to tell us things sometimes, and that if someone in some remote part of Papua New Guinea were given a can of Red Bull they'd have heart palpitations - goes to show just how much **** we put into our bodies, which blinds us to what they're trying to tell us.

HOLA445

its a fact that your body has in effect two brains. one in your head and the other controls what nutrients you need.

i certainly believe that when you body needs something it creates a craving. salt, sweet. it balances itself. its when you start fiddling around with drugs or red bull do things go askew. same for water and veg. its mostly debunked now. your body mind will ask your head mind what to go and eat.

dont forget to exercise.

HOLA446

latest research (in rats) suggests certain fats trigger the release of endogenous cannabinoids from the gut, that will activate hypothalamus hunger centres, triggering further craving. (akin to the munchies).

HOLA447

latest research (in rats) suggests certain fats trigger the release of endogenous cannabinoids from the gut, that will activate hypothalamus hunger centres, triggering further craving. (akin to the munchies).

I'd be interested to read more, as fat is supposedly immensly satiating!

HOLA448

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Aug 2;108(31):12904-8. Epub 2011 Jul 5.

From the Cover: Endocannabinoid signal in the gut controls dietary fat intake.

Dipatrizio NV, Astarita G, Schwartz G, Li X, Piomelli D.

HOLA449

Thanks. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21730161

I like the take here:

http://www.kurzweila...ou-legally-high

Interesting to note that blocking the cannabinoid receptors in the brain causes anxiety and depression as well. Makes one wonder if stoners are subconciously self medicating.

Problem is though like alot of medical studies that just concentrate on one thing, it looks like this on the surface but they havent investigated anything else otherwise to use their logic someone eating fat will get the munchies and thus continue eating ergo they dont stop eating or put another way the munchies being created become self fuelling.

They havent found or at least looked at the mechanisms that switch off the "munchies" and need to look at this imo.

You are assuming with this thread that your body is in tune with your own aims and goals. Your body doesn't mind you fat (for example), so there is nothing wrong with it trying to keep you snacking.

If you are feeling down, you can either smoke dope, or get your fill of Omega 3's.

HOLA4410

Your body doesn't mind you fat (for example), so there is nothing wrong with it trying to keep you snacking.

I like your quote! There is a reported relationship between regular snacking on satiety promoting proteins and the brains dopaminergic reward system, theoretically reducing craving. I'll try and find the paper. One of the first interventions to try with a patient with binge eating is instituting regular meals and snacks, to reduce physiological drives to binge. When i discuss this with patients they look at me as if i'm mad, "I thought you'd be trying to get me to eat less!", two weeks later they realise that the need to binge has reduced. The binges that get left are then driven by emotional cues and triggers, and are tackled in different ways.

If you are really interested in recent obesity research (and have a weekend to spare) the canadian obesity network 2011 conference videos are here!!

HOLA4411

I try not to assume anything but when you consider people comfort eat, what do they tend to eat in the main? I'd say fatty foods is on the list and this is a form of self medicating so the question is what is causing the need to self medicate? Stress in the main I'd say.

No I'd say they eat sugary foods with some fat in them. The MacD's fries and crisps being a case in point. What fats will you find in a MacD fry? Vegetable oil for a start.

That article pulled out Mac fries, they are an example of a snack food, no doubt which will make you a fatty (eaten in sufficient quantities) due to starch and (bad) oils?

You could say eggs are a fatty food, but I'd defy you to snack on them.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

That might be an ancient craving for fruit and what's in it. (Or just a sticky bun deficiency. :D )

I thought I was sweet enough...but yes it is the lack of fruit that is the cause of my cravings...so I had a couple of plums today, hope it sorts it. ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Well the sugary fatty foods do hit the pleasure buttons, ie sugar gives you the equivalent of a heroin hit and the fat gives you the cannabanoid hit and theres plenty of those around. But what drives these desires, stress. When you think about it, it is logical for stress to create these desires becuase generally speaking stress is the result of a fight or flght situ although todays its caused by work or other circumstances but the element missing is the exercise to go with the stress. So I'm not surprised stress makes people comfort eat becuase after a flight situ ie exercising the body will need calorie dense foods to recover more quickly and be ready for another flight situ.

Eggs I class as protein as you yourself have classed previously.

http://www.housepric...dpost&p=3002434

Egg whites are mainly protein. Egg yolks also contain (high quality) fat.

HOLA4416

Archived