House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris25

Nokia Is Downgraded

Standard & Poor's Ratings Services lowered its long-term rating on Nokia Corp. (NOK, NOK1V.HE), saying it expects low operating margins and further market share losses as the company transitions in its strategic partnership with Microsoft Corp. (MSFT).

Nokia, one of the world's largest manufacturers of cellphone handsets, said in March it would partner with Microsoft to use Windows Phone as its main smartphone operating system in a bid to rebuild market share. Last month, Nokia reported a loss for its second quarter as sales dropped 7.3%.

"The rating actions reflect the continued erosion of Nokia's smartphone market shares and a downward revision of our base-case assessment for the operating margins of Nokia's Devices & Services segment until Nokia has completed the adoption of Microsoft's Windows Phone as its new primary software platform for smartphones," said credit analyst Matthias Raab.

The ratings agency lowered its long-term rating on the Finland-based company to BBB, two levels away from junk territory. The outlook is negative. S&P forecasts low- to mid-single-digit operating margins for Nokia's devices and services segment in 2011 and 2012 due to lower revenue than anticipated for the company's Symbian-based smartphone portfolio and declining revenues from traditional mobile phones. Revenue of the devices and services segment is also expected to decline by about 20% in 2011, S&P said.

Such a shame really. They used to produce the best phones in the world. I'm pretty sure if you still owned a 3310 today it would still work, which is way more than can be said for the disposal expensive iphone tat on the market today, which lasts a couple of months then breaks.

I would say that Nokia has not produced a decent phone in at least 5 years.

They are totally finished.

Such a shame really. They used to produce the best phones in the world. I'm pretty sure if you still owned a 3310 today it would still work, which is way more than can be said for the disposal expensive iphone tat on the market today, which lasts a couple of months then breaks.

I am waiting for the right moment to invest in them. IMPO people are seriously under-estimating Nokia.

People used to say that about Apple, especially during the Gil Amelio days.

Nokia are certainly on a similar downward spiral and plighting their troth to Windows Phone 7 is a major error (IMO).

I have the feeling that Win Phone 7 will become another "me too" failure, like the Zune. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because not enough people will switch to it from Android and iOS.

People used to say that about Apple, especially during the Gil Amelio days.

Nokia are certainly on a similar downward spiral and plighting their troth to Windows Phone 7 is a major error (IMO).

I have the feeling that Win Phone 7 will become another "me too" failure, like the Zune. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because not enough people will switch to it from Android and iOS.

I think corporates will go for WP7 Mango in a huge way.

2nd that. i know of 3 big Inusrance companies in teh City who are working towards Win 7mob and retiring blackberries in the near future

Such a shame really. They used to produce the best phones in the world. I'm pretty sure if you still owned a 3310 today it would still

My 3310 still works, I think. Unfortunately I have no friends, so I get few calls! :huh:

I don't rule Nokia out but not every declining firm gets turned around.

They're still around in the 23rd century I see.

trek_nokia.jpg

James T. Kirk and product placement, two things I'd never thought to see go together.

My 3310 still works, I think. Unfortunately I have no friends, so I get few calls! :huh:

Aye, and mine.

Aye, and mine.

What's yer number? :lol::lol::blink:

I am waiting for the right moment to invest in them. IMPO people are seriously under-estimating Nokia.

Quite possibly. Historically, Nokia used to be known for things like forestry and car tyres in Finland. They moved into mobile phone technology by aquiring Mobira and Technophone in the 1980's.

Around 1990 the CEO committed suicide, and Nokia shares plummeted. But only 3 years later, Nokia was on a roll and share prices had gone up tenfold IIRC.

I wouldn't write Nokia off yet.

Quite possibly. Historically, Nokia used to be known for things like forestry and car tyres in Finland. They moved into mobile phone technology by aquiring Mobira and Technophone in the 1980's.

Around 1990 the CEO committed suicide, and Nokia shares plummeted. But only 3 years later, Nokia was on a roll and share prices had gone up tenfold IIRC.

I wouldn't write Nokia off yet.

I am just waiting for this correction to get going - another 28% down on the markets :D

Nokia used to be brilliant when I was in school, everyone owned a nokia. I think their main problem is keeping pace with the advances in mobile operating systems. Their symbion operating system is dire in comparison to Android and IOS. Now Android is also moving into the lower end handsets its eating into nokias market share.

They would have benifitted much more by going with Android than Windows Phone 7 as Android has a proven track record already. Nokia make great hardware it just their software is really lacking at the moment.

My iPhone from 07 is still going strong, jail broken and running like a dream.

Lasting a couple of months.....bit dramatic?

I don't rule Nokia out but not every declining firm gets turned around.

They're still around in the 23rd century I see.

trek_nokia.jpg

James T. Kirk and product placement, two things I'd never thought to see go together.

weirdly it kind of looks like that nokia is running wp7, it kind of has live tiles...

wp7_lockup1_vert_small_normal132.jpg?139d23

No opinion either way. But this may be a reflection of what will happen?

Windows Phone Aug 2011

Nokia and Microsoft's marriage of convenience may finally be ready to bear fruit.

The two companies sent out a joint invitation on Monday to a "party" slated for August 17 in Cologne, Germany. Although the invitation didn't get too specific about the occasion (besides mentioning there will be a live act, great djs, and free grub), it's hard not to expect the official debut of Nokia's first Windows Phone 7-based smartphone.

Depends what you mean by a decent phone. If you just want calls, texts, a long battery life and 5+ years surviving daily use for £20, Nokia is great.

Depends what you mean by a decent phone. If you just want calls, texts, a long battery life and 5+ years surviving daily use for £20, Nokia is great.

my nokia 5800 was a very good phone. good camera and great battery life. decent apps too. i upgraded for a more powerful android sony ericsson xperia arc, which is a beautiful phone and works well. however, i miss the battery life. i sold my nokia a few months back for nearly 60 quid. you wont get that money for many secondhand android phones

i hope they come back. i have owned a number of nokia phones over the years and it would be good to have a nokia android phone

i hope they come back.

I think I do too. Shame they can't produce a dual lineup of WinPhone 7/Android handsets like HTC and Samsung do.

My classic 6300 still runs like a dream.

I hate smart phones. I've got an Ipod touch for all the fancy stuff. I wouldn't be suprised if we see some kind of smart phone backlash in the near future.

I have one of their newish C3-01.

Looks and feels just like a normal phone. However has a touch screen which makes the internet a lot more enjoyable than usual on a 'normal' phone. Best of both Worlds IMO. Much smaller screen than a smart phone or whatever. However that lot are really mobile computers. Mine is just a basic solid phone that you can also use for internet and to access email and all that decent stuff. Opera Mini makes it easy to use as well. Flash and 5 Mega Pixel camera too. Not the best camera but not too shabby.

All for ~ £129 pay as you go. Recommended for those looking for a normal phone with just that little bit more.

PS - Someone dropped it onto a hard floor in a pub last night. I didn't even blink. I also used it as a bottle opener last week as I could find nothing else to use and I value my teeth !! Didnt even leave a scratch.

Nokia-C3-01-Touch-and-Type-S40.jpg

We use Nokian tires for the winter here. They're one of the more expensive brands, but they're generally considered one of the best.

But I'm not sure I see much of a future for the mobile phone company now they're Microsoft's bitch. That makes them just an also-ran in a market lead by Apple and Google where Chinese companies making cheap crap Windows phones will be competing directly against them.

Of course I'm not the sort of person who spends $600 on a phone so he can get infected by mobile malware.

I have one of their newish C3-01.

Looks and feels just like a normal phone. However has a touch screen which makes the internet a lot more enjoyable than usual on a 'normal' phone. Best of both Worlds IMO. Much smaller screen than a smart phone or whatever. However that lot are really mobile computers. Mine is just a basic solid phone that you can also use for internet and to access email and all that decent stuff. Opera Mini makes it easy to use as well. Flash and 5 Mega Pixel camera too. Not the best camera but not too shabby.

All for ~ £129 pay as you go. Recommended for those looking for a normal phone with just that little bit more.

PS - Someone dropped it onto a hard floor in a pub last night. I didn't even blink. I also used it as a bottle opener last week as I could find nothing else to use and I value my teeth !! Didnt even leave a scratch.

Nokia-C3-01-Touch-and-Type-S40.jpg

That genuinely looks like quite a good phone. But no autofocus on the camera and 15fps video is a turn-off for me. I basically use a phones camera as my main digital camera these days.

Back to the Nokia decline. This link here comes from their heyday IMO. You had legendary phones with rugged durability but sleek design.

Compare it to their hideous designs of today. All are boxy, with roundy edges, extremely fragile, with the same outdated symbian interface