House Price Crash Forum

Are You Reading This On Ie.... You Idiot?

Darkman

HOLA441
Internet Explorer users have a lower than average IQ, according to research by Consulting firm AptiQuant.

The study gave web surfers an IQ test, then plotted their scores against the browser they used.

IE surfers were found to have an average IQ lower than people using Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Users of Camino and Opera rated highest. The report has sparked anger from IE supporters, who have threatened AptiQuant with legal action. Researchers gave over 100,000 web surfers a free online IQ test. Scores were stored in a database along with each person's web browser data.

The results suggested that Internet Explorer surfers had an average IQ in the low eighties. Chrome, Firefox and Safari rated over 100, while minority browsers Opera and Camino had an "exceptionally higher" score of over 120. AptiQuant stressed that using IE doesn't mean you have low intelligence. "What it really says is that if you have a low IQ then there are high chances that you use Internet Explorer," said AptiQuant CEO Leonard Howard.

The findings have been treated with scepticism by Professor David Spiegelhalter of Cambridge University's Statistical Laboratory: "They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world.

"I believe these figures are implausibly low - and an insult to IE users."

However, Mr Howard said he didn't feel threatened by a lawsuit: "A win in a court would only give a stamp of approval and more credibility to our report."

:P

I can see how this might happen. Bright people are more likely to shop around and use the best browsers available at any given time. Dimbulbs on the other hand will just use what they were given.

Though eventually it may turn full circle, and the best browser could be IE again.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

This is probably true to some extent, we use Internet Explorer at work, you should hear some of the people I have put up with :P

Saying that I have both Chrome and Firefox installed at home does that mean my IQ is doubled as I have both? :D

HOLA445

Most likely more to do with the operating system being used. Internet Explorer is not available for Mac OS X or Linux...

'Mac users smarter than Windows users' :

http://www.dutchdailynews.com/mac-users-smarter/

Mac users are smarter than Windows users, according to a recent study.

The study was conducted by Intelligent Elite: they asked two million Internet users to perform an online IQ survey. The study revealed some remarkable differences.

Mac users scored an average of six IQ points higher than Windows users.

Also users who are running on Linux, scored better than Windows users.

iPad owners scored better than the average Mac users: they appear to be the most intelligent of all.

The researchers assume that the differences are due to the high price tag on Apple products. As a result, Apple products are often bought by people with a better paid job, which in many cases have a higher education.

HOLA446

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878

Internet Explorer story was bogus

A story which suggested that users of Internet Explorer have a lower IQ than people who chose other browsers appears to have been an elaborate hoax.

A number of media organisations, including the BBC, reported on the research, put out by Canadian firm ApTiquant.

It later emerged that the company's website was only recently set up and staff images were copied from a legitimate business in Paris.

It is unclear who was behind the stunt.

Archived