House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

The Difference Between The Us And The Uk Housing Market

Before buying in the US, find out how much the property tax is for the property you want to buy (most likely a lot) and don't forget to get a health insurance quote for yourself and your family... maybe after that you will change your mind about the US being a good place to live.

Before buying in the US, find out how much the property tax is for the property you want to buy (most likely a lot) and don't forget to get a health insurance quote for yourself and your family...

Though at least you pay into a healthcare you can rely on, rather than paying 12% of your income into a scheme only to be told you have to wait 12 weeks to see someone.

I always thought the difference was because in the US your just buying a house where as in the UK your buying an investment, a dream , a life style to which you cannot put a price on.

Before buying in the US, find out how much the property tax is for the property you want to buy (most likely a lot) and don't forget to get a health insurance quote for yourself and your family... maybe after that you will change your mind about the US being a good place to live.

Can it be any worse than the UK?

I mean, how many people on here with a 600K house has an indoor "10FT. CASCADING WATERFALL" ?

Not many I'd like to wager

:lol:

Though at least you pay into a healthcare you can rely on

you might be able to rely on the healthcare, but only if you pay for it yourself. Most insurances have so many exclusion clauses that very often you will have to pay for the treatment yourself (at least partially).

I mean, how many people on here with a 600K house has an indoor "10FT. CASCADING WATERFALL" ?

Why would anyone want a waterfall in their house? You have to be very vain and shallow to want something like that.

And as I said: after you have paid your property taxes, your health insurance and any other medical costs not covered by it you will most likely have to declare bankruptcy and lose the house.

Medical bills are a major cause of personal bankruptcies in the US.

---

Edited by awake_eagle

I always thought the difference was because in the US your just buying a house where as in the UK your buying an investment, a dream , a life style to which you cannot put a price on.

I'd rather invest in:

pool.jpg

than:

loo.jpg

I'd prefer to pee in the first one too. :lol::lol::lol:

pool.jpg

loo.jpg

post-10812-0-80091400-1312286650_thumb.jpg

post-10812-0-65397300-1312286718_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Why would anyone want a waterfall in their house? You have to be very vain and shallow to want something like that.

---

Dunno, why would you want to pay £600K to live in a pokey wee house in a 2nd rate city in a 2nd rate country, What future for your children here ?

you might be able to rely on the healthcare, but only if you pay for it yourself. Most insurances have so many exclusion clauses that very often you will have to pay for the treatment yourself (at least partially).

Only way to win is to be obscenely rich or immortal then you don't have to rely on tin pot healthcare or slither away insurance companies :P

Sign your soul over to the devil in exchange for immortality - it's the only way :lol:

I would honestly rather live in the one in the UK....

It seems to be just off one of the main highways to/from Walt Disney world and surrounded by all the chain restaurants and malls that go with that. Urgh.

Not to mention it's as gaudy as hell and too hot in summer / too windy in hurricane season.

Only way to win is to be obscenely rich or immortal then you don't have to rely on tin pot healthcare or slither away insurance companies :P

Sign your soul over to the devil in exchange for immortality - it's the only way :lol:

I refuse to become an estate agent at any cost :lol::lol::lol:

I would honestly rather live in the one in the UK....

It seems to be just off one of the main highways to/from Walt Disney world and surrounded by all the chain restaurants and malls that go with that. Urgh.

Not to mention it's as gaudy as hell and too hot in summer / too windy in hurricane season.

I'd take the US over the UK anyday, the positives there (for me personally) far outweigh the negatives, which I cannot say about the UK.

As for climate, the beauty of the US is you can take your pick - it goes from one extreme to the other. The UK on the other hand is mainly miserably.

Another good plus about living in the US is you can legally own one of these to keep your lawn free of zombies...

On a more serious note, the two houses I posted does show 1) How much the US housing market has fallen and 2) house much more the UK market has to fall.

I'll second that. Even though the Dollar has fallen Americans who have stayed in cash have now much more house purchasing power than before making their Dollars worth more even though they have lost value. Sadly the same cannot be said for the UK, we've seen our currency kicked to hell and house prices remain stubbornly high. Lose-lose here on Treasure Island :angry:

I dunno. I rented a 200k house that a 10ft cascading waterfall...but that was probably more to do with the plumbing in the upstairs bathroom than an intended feature.

I'd take the US over the UK anyday, the positives there (for me personally) far outweigh the negatives, which I cannot say about the UK.

As for climate, the beauty of the US is you can take your pick - it goes from one extreme to the other. The UK on the other hand is mainly miserably.

Another good plus about living in the US is you can legally own one of these to keep your lawn free of zombies...

Yeah, I guess so. I wasn't commenting on the whole US, only this house.

In florida, I can buy this for the same price:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-28811446.html

Being married to a US citizen means these comparisons come up frequently for me. We've STR, and can't find anything that makes sense for us in the UK (London, N1). The only problem is where to go in the US? Healthcare isn't an issue when you don't have a mortgage to pay.

I prefer Mill Valley, CA for the job prospects and the town (has great schools, and one of the nicest old town squares I've ever seen).

http://www.trulia.com/property/3052629945-373-Carrera-Dr-Mill-Valley-CA-94941

Or Boston (actually cambridge, but hey, whatever), as we have friends there, and it is the most similar to the UK in feeling and proximity:

http://www.trulia.com/property/3055986319-7-Salem-St-Cambridge-MA-02139

These might not have the curb appeal of the floridian neo-classical marble monstrosity the original poster links, but the points remains the same - Why stay here, and mortgage yourself to the hilt, if you can move to the US?

Being married to a US citizen ...

- Why stay here, and mortgage yourself to the hilt, if you can move to the US?

I've no idea. Are you asking us or yourself? Get out now man, you're very lucky.

Being married to a US citizen means these comparisons come up frequently for me. We've STR, and can't find anything that makes sense for us in the UK (London, N1). The only problem is where to go in the US? Healthcare isn't an issue when you don't have a mortgage to pay.

I prefer Mill Valley, CA for the job prospects and the town (has great schools, and one of the nicest old town squares I've ever seen).

http://www.trulia.com/property/3052629945-373-Carrera-Dr-Mill-Valley-CA-94941

Or Boston (actually cambridge, but hey, whatever), as we have friends there, and it is the most similar to the UK in feeling and proximity:

http://www.trulia.com/property/3055986319-7-Salem-St-Cambridge-MA-02139

These might not have the curb appeal of the floridian neo-classical marble monstrosity the original poster links, but the points remains the same - Why stay here, and mortgage yourself to the hilt, if you can move to the US?

A 3 bed place for $800,000? In what way is that cheaper than the UK? Yeah, if you're living in N1, London then it's cheaper but that's cos London is an expensive city, you need to be comparing prices with Manhattan in that case. I'm not denying that houses are MUCH cheaper in the US, though, for a given size. They have a lot of land and let you build on it, though the downside is the urban sprawl there is horrendous in some cities. Also modern US houses are often built from a wood and wire frame covered in a stucco foam type substance. horrible.

Besides, the USA is a considerably richer country than the UK and the overally material standard of living is a good bit higher. It has been like that for, err, the last 200 years. So why are we all acting surprised that you generally get to live in bigger nicer houses over there than we have here?

If it gets too expensive, just come back to good ole Blighty like everyone else.

... and live on benefits :lol:

Those other two U.S. houses are nice, but do they have waterfalls !!!! Actutally, they don't look much better than UK houses to be honest. I'll stick with my white-house.

I viewed this:

Recently.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-18367452.html

In florida, I can buy this for the same price:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-28811446.html

British people must be STUPID.

I agree mate but would warn you that the Florida property is overpriced!! We have just bought (after renting) a 4 bed all singing (not quite dancing as we have no pool), bank repo in Mineolla (about 15 miles from Disney) in Lake County. Property Taxes are based on capital values so we will pay $1800 this year (about a grand sterling give or take) but I would say cheaper than UK council tax. Eating out is dirt cheap to cater for the wrinklies( including me) and petrol is still 3 bucks and change a gallon (just over two quid). The property was in excellent nick and last sold in 2006 for $280K. Just paid the bank $75K....now let me see isn't that less than FIFTY grand??? Oh yes it is. Buys a whole lot of health insurance with the savings. I cover me and the missus for $600 bucks a month with only minimal co-pay for doctors visits so don't believe all the BS on here.