House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rw42

Another Diet/exercise Advice Thread!

HI.

I work 5 days a week in a sedentary office - i've set myself a goal this year of losing some weight - ideally a stone, most of which would come from my belly. General fitness could be better too - heart rate goes to about 180/190 bpm when i've been working out for a long time, and i'm sure this could be lower.

Weigh close to 15 stone atm. Am going to the gym 2 times a week with a trainer, once at the weekend on my own if i've got the energy.

Gym sessions is 1x core body strength, 1x cardio workout, 1 hour a piece.

Have read a lot of advice here about eating/fasting, when it's good to start eating and so on - any tips on how to make it work with a working day? I've tried cutting down the amount i eat, especially at lunchtime, but while i'm getting marginally fitter i'm not noticing much weight loss. In my mind i'd thought same diet + more exercise = more energy burnt = weigh less, but it doesn't seem to be happening!

As far as 'don't eat till you feel hungry' goes - i feel hungry every morning. How long should i be able to ignore this for before it goes away?

HI.

I work 5 days a week in a sedentary office - i've set myself a goal this year of losing some weight - ideally a stone, most of which would come from my belly. General fitness could be better too - heart rate goes to about 180/190 bpm when i've been working out for a long time, and i'm sure this could be lower.

Weigh close to 15 stone atm. Am going to the gym 2 times a week with a trainer, once at the weekend on my own if i've got the energy.

Have read a lot of advice here about eating/fasting, when it's good to start eating and so on - any tips on how to make it work with a working day? I've tried cutting down the amount i eat, especially at lunchtime, but while i'm getting marginally fitter i'm not noticing much weight loss. In my mind i'd thought same diet + more exercise = more energy burnt = weigh less, but it doesn't seem to be happening!

As far as 'don't eat till you feel hungry' goes - i feel hungry every morning. How long should i be able to ignore this for before it goes away?

Have a large breakfast and miss out on the lunch. It's in the morning that the body has a high metabolism and so burns off most of the calories.

A nice addition to your excercises might be some kundalini yoga because you can do it anytime at home. Its not easy either so its a workout and will make you more flexible and burn off those callories. No need to go to the gym, just play a yoga dvd at home so its free after buying a decent yoga dvd.

I am sedentary due to a medical condition. I've cut out all chocolate, cakes, biscuits, & white bread and have lost half a stone in 3 weeks. Feel a lot better and can now walk the dog twice a day (only 500 yards though)!

In my mind i'd thought same diet + more exercise = more energy burnt = weigh less, but it doesn't seem to be happening!

You might like to read this article...

'To Shed Pounds, You MUST Eliminate This from What You Eat':

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/29/foods-that-keep-you-thin.aspx

One of the most pervasive MYTHS about weight loss is that you can lose weight by just restricting your calories and increasing your exercise. If you believe this and are seeking to lose weight, let me warn you that you will be in for a load of heartache as this is a myth that is not based in reality.

The key is the quality of your calories and exercise. Typically you will need to replace your grain carb and sugar calories with high quality protein and fats and replace cardio exercise with high intensity training like Peak 8. I realize that this might conflict with your previous understanding of a healthy diet, but that is clearly what the bulk of the science and anecdotal evidence supports.

I am sedentary due to a medical condition. I've cut out all chocolate, cakes, biscuits, & white bread and have lost half a stone in 3 weeks. Feel a lot better and can now walk the dog twice a day (only 500 yards though)!

So what foods are good/bad? I'm mostly meatarian at the moment..

I like my chocolate, and can't imagine giving it up. Don't do much in the way of cakes or bread, most evening meals are pasta + some form of meat.

Tend to have a cereal bar for breakfast when i get to work - i have extremely low energy in the mornings and find it a real struggle to get out of bed most days. Have cut out drinking coke at work, and trying to drink more water and less coffee.

At the moment i'm pretty happy with the gym - it's been a good 6 years since i did any real exercise (warehouse work, moving white goods around), so i don't really know what i can/should be doing - trainer is doing pretty good at showing me the various exercises and what i should be able to do. Aim at the moment is to get a bit fitter and then sack off the trainer, but keep going to the gym. At the moment i'd probably skip every other session if there wasn't someone there waiting..

My simple bit of advice (as a fairly lowly qualified gym instructor) would be to tell yourself this one thing, over and over again:

You are trying to lose fat, not weight.

Focus on that idea and you'll be better prepared mentally.

(It's why they are called 'credit cards' instead of 'debt cards'. Credit=good, debt=bad)

Cut out an entire food group such as gluten/wheat/cereals/baked goods and you will certainly start to loose weight and feel better for it too.

The below plan works. There are no ifs or buts about it. There is only one caveat. You MUST put serious effort in. If you don't ? You will fail ? If you do put the effort in ? The plan will work 100% - end of story.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) Forget about food apart from reducing sugar intake.

(2) Forget about weight.

(3) Concentrate on getting fit. So fit you would not believe you could do these things. Regular short VERY intense exercise. Two or thre times a day. Even if only 15 minutes per go. Then another few times per week on a few longer sessions. Mix it up. Some running. Some biking. Some fast walking. Some swimming. Some gym. Who cares. Just do lots of it on a regular basis and PUSH YOURSELF so hard you feel like you will almost be sick.

If you do #3 properly then #1 + #2 will take care of themselves. The last thing people trying to lose weight should be concentrating on is......................losing weight. I cannot put enough emphasis on this very simple most basic point.

Good luck.

Have a breakfast, cut out in between meal snacks of any kind, take a packed lunch into work inc some carbohydrates fruit and veg little fat eg tuna pasta salad, crispbread and cottage cheese, herby rice salad with spring onions and peas...make food tastier using seasoning (not too much salt) herbs and spices...take time to escape the office go for a long walk, walk to the beat from your mp3 player.......have a home cooked evening meal around 7pm do not eat lare just before going to bed.....cut out all crisps and snacks, not too much alcohol, add cold soda water to wine...cut down on processed fatty and sugary foods, take more exercise...walking or cycling, playing sports.....you will then lose weight. ;)

+1 on quitting sugary drinks. But do not be tempted to replace with diet versions or fruit juices. Both can lead to weight gain.

Recent evidence is showing quite conclusively that the sweeteners in diet drinks trigger greater absorption of sugars from your gut (where they might otherwise pass through) into your bloodstream (where they must be 'burned off' or become stored as fat). More here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm

Similarly with fructose:

"Fructose apparently tricks the brain into thinking you are hungrier than you actually are. Unlike carbohydrates made up of glucose, fructose does not stimulate the pancreas into producing insulin. Nor does it promote the production of leptin, a hormone made by fat cells. Under normal conditions, the amount of insulin and leptin in the body signal to the brain that you’ve had enough to eat. Meanwhile, fructose doesn’t seem to suppress the production of ghrelin, the hormone that triggers appetite, which normally declines after eating."

+1 on quitting sugary drinks. But do not be tempted to replace with diet versions or fruit juices. Both can lead to weight gain.

No, eating more calories than you expend leads to weight gain.

OP, eat a diet of around 500 cals a day less than maintenance (if you don't know what that is, that's your starting point). CONSISTENTLY hit a macronutrient ratio of 40:30:30 protein, fat and carbs and lift weights 3 times a week, this should take about 12 weeks to lose a stone and help keep the weight off, so long as you don't eat like a complete muppet after your diet is over.

Ignore the BS about saturated fat and fructose or whatever other scapegoat bullsh*t is being peddled by scientists for the gullable. You are ultimately responsible for how you look, not any food type or whatever.

Recent evidence is showing quite conclusively that the sweeteners in diet drinks trigger greater absorption of sugars from your gut (where they might otherwise pass through) into your bloodstream (where they must be 'burned off' or become stored as fat). More here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080210183902.htm

Similarly with fructose:

"Fructose apparently tricks the brain into thinking you are hungrier than you actually are. Unlike carbohydrates made up of glucose, fructose does not stimulate the pancreas into producing insulin. Nor does it promote the production of leptin, a hormone made by fat cells. Under normal conditions, the amount of insulin and leptin in the body signal to the brain that you’ve had enough to eat. Meanwhile, fructose doesn’t seem to suppress the production of ghrelin, the hormone that triggers appetite, which normally declines after eating."

No worries about diet drinks - i really can't stand the taste of aspartame. Artificial sweetener my **** :)

One of the things i've read a lot about but understood very little about is how to get your body in a 'fat burning mode' when exercising - when i'm doing weights it doesn't take me long at the moment to feel like i've lost all energy in the muscle group. Is this because i've done as much as i can, or just that i've burnt off any free sugar, and can't get enough energy from fats to make any progress?

Also, if i know i've had enough to eat today but still feel hungry, is there anything i can eat just to make me feel full?

No, eating more calories than you expend leads to weight gain.

OP, eat a diet of around 500 cals a day less than maintenance (if you don't know what that is, that's your starting point). CONSISTENTLY hit a macronutrient ratio of 40:30:30 protein, fat and carbs and lift weights 3 times a week, this should take about 12 weeks to lose a stone and help keep the weight off, so long as you don't eat like a complete muppet after your diet is over.

Ignore the BS about saturated fat and fructose or whatever other scapegoat bullsh*t is being peddled by scientists for the gullable. You are ultimately responsible for how you look, not any food type or whatever.

This is why I think so many people are put off starting this sort of thing. You make it sound far too complicated. IMO anyway. It is simple. And the simpler you keep it the easier it is.

You might like to read this article...

'To Shed Pounds, You MUST Eliminate This from What You Eat':

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/29/foods-that-keep-you-thin.aspx

Sounds a lot like the "South Beach Diet" which worked great for me until I started eating "normally" again and then the weight came back on.

I think to lose weight and keep it off (if you're fat and over 40 like me) it's effectivley lifestyle change and apart from the occassional treat avoiding all the sugary carbs (which taste so good). :(

No worries about diet drinks - i really can't stand the taste of aspartame. Artificial sweetener my **** :)

One of the things i've read a lot about but understood very little about is how to get your body in a 'fat burning mode' when exercising - when i'm doing weights it doesn't take me long at the moment to feel like i've lost all energy in the muscle group. Is this because i've done as much as i can, or just that i've burnt off any free sugar, and can't get enough energy from fats to make any progress?

Also, if i know i've had enough to eat today but still feel hungry, is there anything i can eat just to make me feel full?

How about some dry bread with three glasses of water. ;)

HI.

I have lost 12kg in five months.I always did exercise but you have to address your diet.My big problem was dairy products and I have gone from aboout 1lb of cheese a week to maybe 4ounces.I used to use cream for cooking and I have cut that out.I use very little butter too.

I calculate my weekly calorie savings as

350g Cheese 2000

180g Butter 1500

250g Cream 1000

4500 calories equals 650g of fat and that is my weekly weight loss.

This is why I think so many people are put off starting this sort of thing. You make it sound far too complicated. IMO anyway. It is simple. And the simpler you keep it the easier it is.

While I respect your opinion I don't think that's too complicated. If anything I think its miles easier than spending hours on a tredmill with little or no results because of a crap diet. Ever heard the saying you can't outrun a bad diet? All it takes is a little maths and consistency.

Buy some smaller plates....hence smaller portions...don't cook more than you should eat, so no going back for seconds....

...eat before you go shopping....no curries or kebabs after the pub. ;)

While I respect your opinion I don't think that's too complicated. If anything I think its miles easier than spending hours on a tredmill with little or no results because of a crap diet. Ever heard the saying you can't outrun a bad diet? All it takes is a little maths and consistency.

Perhaps - but it still looks complicated. And that will put people off. My plan ? Exercise seriously hard 10 or so times per week - for short bursts, and pretty much forget about the rest. EVERYONE will understand that instantly and know exactly what is required. That is why when someone asks for basic information I think giving this sort of advice is the best. It is simple and if worked hard at - will give excellent results. The rest can come after if required. This will get the ball rolling - so to speak.

As for a bad diet ? All depends on your opinion of what that would consist of. And even with all the chat and millions of articles available. There is still no consenus.

As for not being able to outrun a bad diet ? Perhaps you should tell this bloke :lol:

99d0d-michael_phelps.jpg

Yes an extreme example but you get the point.

Perhaps - but it still looks complicated. And that will put people off. My plan ? Exercise seriously hard 10 or so times per week - for short bursts, and pretty much forget about the rest. EVERYONE will understand that instantly and know exactly what is required. That is why when someone asks for basic information I think giving this sort of advice is the best. It is simple and if worked hard at - will give excellent results. The rest can come after if required. This will get the ball rolling - so to speak.

As for a bad diet ? All depends on your opinion of what that would consist of. And even with all the chat and millions of articles available. There is still no consenus.

As for not being able to outrun a bad diet ? Perhaps you should tell this bloke :lol:

99d0d-michael_phelps.jpg

Yes an extreme example but you get the point.

I'd say the laws of thermodynamics are a consensus. Other than that I agree with most of what you say, your swimmer is an extreme example, no 9-5 office worker will follow that regime because, well, they're not world class athletes.

I'd say the laws of thermodynamics are a consensus. Other than that I agree with most of what you say, your swimmer is an extreme example, no 9-5 office worker will follow that regime because, well, they're not world class athletes.

Of course. But the basic logic is similar though. He eats 10k calories per day and has to work hard for maybe 6 hours per day to look like that. Put the same effort in for less time and eat less calories and nearly anyone could look very similar.

Anyway - I am sure the OP is thoroughly confused. Far too much advice and opinion when it comes to this subject. :D

If I could choose one single piece of advice it would be this. Concentrate on getting VERY fit and forget about everything else. It will work. 99.9% guaranteed.

Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, evening meal.

Don't skip meals

Eat food you have to prepare, mainly plants, not so much.

Become aware of what you're eating.Take a photo of everything you eat for a week as a first step in this, and at the end of the week go through the photos.

http://www.tcme.org/